Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  (Read 7098 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Avengers: Infinity War
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2019, 10:02:42 PM »
While I disapprove of killing people as a way to impress a girl, at least it does not leave him open to the charge that he could have just doubled the resources. Comic-book Thanos was not trying to save anybody from overpopulation. He was all about getting the girl by any means necessary. (Assuming Ah.hell has represented the comic book accurately. I don't read comic books, and when I did, it was cats and birds and coyotes and ducks and rabbits and mice. And in Spanish it was Mafalda (social satire from Venezuela) and Condorito (puerile humor from Mexico).)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2019, 10:29:26 PM »
Doubling the resources would have been ... Well, it wouldn't have helped. (From his POV.)  More resources, more people-like things.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2019, 09:49:34 AM »
Doubling the resources would have been ... Well, it wouldn't have helped. (From his POV.)  More resources, more people-like things.

Again, it depends on whether we're talking about comic-book Thanos or movie Thanos. Doubling the resources, or more properly, increasing resources constantly to keep pace with population, would have accomplished movie Thanos's objective of ending scarcity-related poverty, but it would have done nothing for comic-book Thanos's objective of killing a while bunch of people to impress the girl of his dreams.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2019, 09:55:46 AM »
"The Earthlings are unruly and thus cannot be ruled. To fight them is to court death." (Big grin from the big chin.)

Thanos had a thing for the lady called Death. He was trying to impress her by mass murder, IIRC.
That line didn't figure into the movies at all, it was just an easter egg for comic nerds.  Thanos' motive in movies was basically eco-terrorism. 

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »
either way, the motive might have changed, but the premise that it was the movie writers looking for a cliff hanger to bring the punters back for another movie when it was the comicbook writers that came up with the idea of Thanos killing half of everyone.

He's not a bad guy, he was just drawn that way...  ;D

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2019, 10:26:07 AM »
Sorry for the necro, but something has been bugging me.* Right near the end Cap says "Heads up, we have incoming" and THEN Thanos appears. Anybody seen a explanation of that?

*No, I don't have the crabs.

I don't recall that line. I'll have to watch the last hour again today to find it. I'm guessing he got a secret call on his earbud from someone who could track the ship though.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2019, 11:07:55 AM »
"The Earthlings are unruly and thus cannot be ruled. To fight them is to court death." (Big grin from the big chin.)

Thanos had a thing for the lady called Death. He was trying to impress her by mass murder, IIRC.
That line didn't figure into the movies at all, it was just an easter egg for comic nerds.  Thanos' motive in movies was basically eco-terrorism.
He had a couple of issues at that point. One was his invasion had been repelled. When you're trying to impress someone losing doesn't help.

And eco-terrorism wasn't his motive. No matter how twisted it was, his motive was to make life better for the people who survived. Now it might be said that being so noble as to be willing to take on the karma of killing half the life in the universe is a bad thing, but it's not terrorism if we go with this definition.

"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2019, 11:54:46 AM »
... eco-terrorism wasn't his motive. No matter how twisted it was, his motive was to make life better for the people who survived. Now it might be said that being so noble as to be willing to take on the karma of killing half the life in the universe is a bad thing, but it's not terrorism  ...

^ This!

Thanos did not threaten to kill people in order to get them to act differently or to capitulate to any demands. He didn't kill people in order to terrorize the survivors. He killed people in order to make the worlds better places for those who remained (in his twisted vision of things). The fact that he didn't take into account that some worlds probably didn't need purging shows him to be stupid, as well as bad.

And the term "eco-terrorism" is generally used by people who want to plunder the world's resources, to describe acts of civil disobedience that very often are nonviolent and are intended to block the harvesting of resources, not to terrorize anybody.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2019, 12:55:57 PM »
Eco-terrorism was only a term that came to mind for lack of a better word, I admit, it wasn't terrorism. 

Eco-terrorism is also more than just civil disobedience but that's a bit off topic. 

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2019, 01:48:54 PM »
After the use of the term in "Godzilla: King of Monsters" I had to look it up to make sure I wasn't tripping.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2019, 06:21:38 PM »
Eco-terrorism was only a term that came to mind for lack of a better word, I admit, it wasn't terrorism. 

Eco-terrorism is also more than just civil disobedience but that's a bit off topic. 

Te term "eco-terrorism" is used (wrongly) against any act of civil disobedience, whether violent or nonviolent, that affects the profits of a corporation that extracts resources from the environment.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain