Author Topic: Upcoming Films  (Read 9844 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Upcoming Films
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2019, 04:29:20 PM »
Shaft!

This was a fun film I worked on last year. If they follow the plan I will be singing the opening dialog for the Shaft song in front of the camera during the credits (the crew took turns singing different parts) Or it ends up as a special feature or possibly not included at all, you never know.  The BTS producer seemed to like me and also shot a short segment where I describe my job. She caught me off guard and I don't think it turned out good nor was I doing anything that interesting by my jobs standards. It would make me happy if they just grab a sound bite or two rather than show the whole thing.

Shut yo' mouth!
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2019, 05:03:10 PM »

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2019, 10:50:24 PM »

A musician wakes up in a world where The Beetles never existed then just kind of goes with it.  Looks hilarious and weird
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2019, 02:57:42 PM »

A musician wakes up in a world where The Beetles never existed then just kind of goes with it.  Looks hilarious and weird

Pop music would sound so very different in 2019 in a world where the Beatles never existed fifty years prior. Would Coldplay (mentioned in the trailer) even exist? Would The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Monkees (LOL*)? Music and musical tastes would be vastly altered.....would Beatles songs even be commercially viable? Would audiences still appreciate it?

*RIP Peter Tork 

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2019, 03:41:19 PM »
Pop music would sound so very different in 2019 in a world where the Beatles never existed fifty years prior. Would Coldplay (mentioned in the trailer) even exist? Would The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Monkees (LOL*)? Music and musical tastes would be vastly altered.....would Beatles songs even be commercially viable? Would audiences still appreciate it?

*RIP Peter Tork

Rolling Stones formed before the Beatles had their first hit song. They still would have been huge. They were the "bad boys" counter to the Beatles "good boys" image
The same with The Who. The core of the group were already performing together before The Beatles became big.

Music would be certainly different. The Beatles along with The Beach Boys (who don't always get the credit they deserve) were the defining force in music for decades.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2019, 04:28:45 PM »
The Beach Boys

aka the best band from the 60s whose name starts with "The Bea"
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »
This might need its own thread but think the Beatles are overrated. Pop music was so basic back then it didn't take much to make waves. Sure things would be different without them, but not by much. Someone else would come along

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2019, 04:49:37 PM »
This might need its own thread but think the Beatles are overrated. Pop music was so basic back then it didn't take much to make waves. Sure things would be different without them, but not by much.

It could be argued that music has actually gone backward in the last few decades. It is certainly feels less fresh now than it was in the 60s and 70s. Most of It's over processed.

I think you'd be in the minority in thinking The Beatles are overrated. Many artists credit The Beatles for influencing their careers. The Beatles, with the help of George Martin helped changed the whole British music industry.

Yes, someone else would have made those musical changes if the Beatles hadn't, but their influence can't be denied. Name a bigger band since them.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2019, 05:12:31 PM »
Yeah, you can hate the Beatles with a passion and argue the artistry of their music, but you can't deny the impact they had in shaping the sound of pop music. Was Sgt. Pepper the first concept album? Would their have been concept albums without it? Would Tommy have been the first, if The Who still recorded it? Would art/progressive rock exist?

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2019, 05:22:28 PM »

*RIP Peter Tork

Rolling Stones formed before the Beatles had their first hit song. They still would have been huge. They were the "bad boys" counter to the Beatles "good boys" image
The same with The Who. The core of the group were already performing together before The Beatles became big.

Music would be certainly different. The Beatles along with The Beach Boys (who don't always get the credit they deserve) were the defining force in music for decades.

Not sure if any of the London bands would have gotten out of the clubs were it not for the massive popularity of the Beatles.

It took a real gamble for the record company to sign them, there is very little indication they would have rolled the dice on a blues band (what the Stones were at the time).
And while the Stones had formed by the time the Beatles were recording their first LP, they had still not even been approached by a manager until after the Beatles were a national phenomenon. The Who were pretty far behind them as well. Plus, before the Beatles hit, NONE of those acts did any of their own songwriting.

Beatlemania was the fundamental fuel for the whole "British Invasion" and it is highly likely that the USA--or the rest of the World- would have greeted the Stones, etc no better than they would a French group. Or any other American Group (including the Beach Boys).

A huge factor in the Stone's success (and others) was the Beatles influence of writing their own material . Mick and Keith have no hesitation in saying the Beatles was the #1 factor in them trying to write on their own.

The concept is an interesting one.
I suspect that without the Beatles, the guitar industry would also be drastically different.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2019, 05:26:00 PM »
Yes, someone else would have made those musical changes if the Beatles hadn't, but their influence can't be denied.
I'd deny it.
Someone would have made musical changes, no doubt. Someone would have been tremendously influential. Would it be the same changes? I would say no. They would be different changes, and they would come from other places and different musical origins.
Would it be from the folk world ala Bob Dylan? Would jazz recapture the imagination? Would it be country or R&B?

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2019, 05:32:18 PM »
. Pop music was so basic back then

It is, musically speaking, far more basic today than back then.
The Beatles early material is no less sophisticated than most of their later material when if comes down to the actual songwriting. They had significant chops when it comes to chord progressions, dynamics and harmony. It is part and parcel to what made them catch on. Very novel ideas and astute understanding of musical form.
Pop music of recent vintage often takes a team of 3-10 songwriters. They did it with three. Usually just two.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2019, 07:07:26 AM »
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2019, 05:38:08 PM »

It looks like, "what if Man of Steel except, as a child, he was bullied until he snapped."
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2019, 05:08:18 PM »

It looks like, "what if Man of Steel except, as a child, he was bullied until he snapped."

For real horror, imagine what happens when that kid hits puberty and starts liking girls..... 

personate-rain