Author Topic: Which podcasts are we listening to?  (Read 191773 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Which podcasts are we listening to?
« Reply #1425 on: November 16, 2018, 10:52:35 PM »
I heard they were even sowing nerd rage over Star Wars. Amazing.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Vay

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #1426 on: November 16, 2018, 11:55:05 PM »
I'd like a replacement podcast for Reasonable Doubts.  Not anything that is focused on bashing "SJW"s/feminists/BLM etc please.  And sorry to say, I don't enjoy The Scathing Atheist or George Hrab's offering.  Any alternative suggestions?
Journalist: "Do you accept the basic premise that smoking kills?"
Cigarette industry executive: "No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements."

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1427 on: November 17, 2018, 10:30:05 AM »
I liked Reasonable Doubt.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1428 on: November 17, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »
I'd like a replacement podcast for Reasonable Doubts.  Not anything that is focused on bashing "SJW"s/feminists/BLM etc please.  And sorry to say, I don't enjoy The Scathing Atheist or George Hrab's offering.  Any alternative suggestions?

Not exactly a replacement, one because it's been defunct for over 10 years but also because it's a single guy rather than a panel format, but I highly recommend listening through the 27 episodes of Logically Critical. It'll give you the same stinging intellectual enjoyment that Reasonable Doubts did.

I recommend it on here once every few years because it's really great and deserves not to be forgotten.

http://www.logicallycritical.net/Welcome.html

Offline Vay

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #1429 on: November 18, 2018, 08:56:40 AM »
I liked Reasonable Doubt.

Yeah it was a really good team. 
Journalist: "Do you accept the basic premise that smoking kills?"
Cigarette industry executive: "No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements."

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1430 on: December 01, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »
This one, BBC Crowd Science starring me this episode:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04d42rc/episodes/downloads
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1431 on: December 21, 2018, 01:49:24 PM »
STEM wins another accolade from me with their interview of Satchin Panda.  Real working scientists interviewing real working, cutting edge scientists.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1432 on: September 18, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
Wondering what the deal is with the "Last Podcast on the Left" guys. Sometimes it seems like they're set on taking the skeptical approach, going through the topics of various cults. But then there are all the episodes about aliens where seemingly anything that's an unknown is evidence for aliens.

Arguments from ignorance and special pleading all over the place. They're gleeful about orbs and lights traveling at "impossible speeds". Recording equipment failure is implied to be some sort of cover-up, or maybe the aliens only show themselves when they know you're not taking pictures, or humans somehow aren't physically capable of understanding that there are aliens all around them.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #1433 on: September 18, 2019, 05:31:43 PM »
They go full on credulous on some topics, but it's never really bothered me.  I think Henry leans into his UFO belief a bit just for humor, but I do think he truly believes (or at least hopes) such visitation is possible.

Ultimately, when they examine specific subjects, the fall pretty heavily on the skeptical side of things, but in the abstract, they loves them some aliens and left-path magick.

ETA: Skinwalker Ranch is a good example of them being overly credulous, taking a lto of the "evidence" at face value and giving only a token nod to the much more mundane and skeptical answer.  But even on those, I mostly just blow off their credulous take and enjoy the story.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:34:57 PM by wastrel »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #1434 on: September 18, 2019, 08:57:23 PM »
Blast from the past. The Pod Delusion is back!
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!