Author Topic: Opening Arguments #TTTBE  (Read 31082 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Opening Arguments #TTTBE
« Reply #465 on: June 13, 2019, 03:06:15 PM »
How’s that any more court cases than the victim having to enforce three separate judgments against the at fault parties? It’s not—it just shifts the burden from the victim to those at fault. The point of joint and several liability is to prioritize making the victim whole and place the burden of collecting on those responsible.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #466 on: June 13, 2019, 05:46:45 PM »
How’s that any more court cases than the victim having to enforce three separate judgments against the at fault parties? It’s not—it just shifts the burden from the victim to those at fault. The point of joint and several liability is to prioritize making the victim whole and place the burden of collecting on those responsible.

I was thinking that all are on trial at the same time with the verdict that they handed down. Maybe I am reading to much into the question. If that is the case then I can see it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #467 on: June 15, 2019, 02:02:57 PM »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #468 on: June 15, 2019, 02:05:59 PM »
I don't remember if the Fed pays state tax or not. In any case I'm going to go with:
(click to show/hide)
Douglas Adams

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #469 on: June 15, 2019, 03:35:09 PM »
(click to show/hide)
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #470 on: June 15, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
I guess A.  The collector is being charged a commission, which means that he is performing a service.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #471 on: June 15, 2019, 05:54:28 PM »
I have no idea.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #472 on: June 15, 2019, 06:02:51 PM »
I have no idea.

I'm with you, but I seem to be saying that a lot of late.
Douglas Adams

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #473 on: June 15, 2019, 09:04:28 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #474 on: June 16, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
I am guessing
(click to show/hide)
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #475 on: June 16, 2019, 01:28:41 PM »
The only tax we are talking about, I think, is on the sale between the Park Service and the collector.

I do not think this understanding of the question is correct.  The taxes in question are on the purchase of the item by the collector.  For one thing, it is settled that the federal government pays no state sales taxes directly; the question is whether it pays them indirectly through its agents.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #476 on: June 17, 2019, 12:17:00 PM »
The only tax we are talking about, I think, is on the sale between the Park Service and the collector.

I do not think this understanding of the question is correct.  The taxes in question are on the purchase of the item by the collector.  For one thing, it is settled that the federal government pays no state sales taxes directly; the question is whether it pays them indirectly through its agents.

Yeah, I am out in left field on this one.   ;D
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #477 on: June 17, 2019, 01:23:01 PM »

In some states the Federal Government does pay sales tax.

I think you're right that the sales tax in question is the tax paid by the collector when the items were purchased.

If I go to home depot and buy drywall for myself, I have to pay sales tax. But if I buy it to sell to someone else I don't, but the purchaser does.

The collector should not have to pay those taxes because the items are being resold to the federal government.

But, that's not what the grounds for the suit are. The grounds are that the tax is unconstitutional.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #478 on: June 17, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »

In some states the Federal Government does pay sales tax.

I think you're right that the sales tax in question is the tax paid by the collector when the items were purchased.

If I go to home depot and buy drywall for myself, I have to pay sales tax. But if I buy it to sell to someone else I don't, but the purchaser does.

The collector should not have to pay those taxes because the items are being resold to the federal government.

But, that's not what the grounds for the suit are. The grounds are that the tax is unconstitutional.

My answer was probably influenced by the fact that I do a sales tax return every month for the business.  Though I never take the deduction, there is a code for "Sales to Federal Government."  The way our system works is if I sell something directly to a business for their use, we are responsible for collecting the tax from the buyer and paying it to the state and city.  Our subcontracting work is generally exempt from sales tax, but we are responsible for getting documentation from the General Contractor that they are handling the sales taxes in the contract.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #479 on: June 17, 2019, 11:52:56 PM »
And here is the answer to #130

(click to show/hide)
Douglas Adams

personate-rain