Author Topic: What would it take for you to stop listening to and/or supporting the SGU?  (Read 19113 times)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: What would it take for you to stop listening to and/or supporting the SGU?
« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2018, 12:59:06 AM »
I was giving them $12/month under the old system because the level below that was "Dirty Rotten Ape" and I didn't want to be called a Dirty Rotten Ape.

Really?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #166 on: August 30, 2018, 08:06:44 AM »
I was giving them $12/month under the old system because the level below that was "Dirty Rotten Ape" and I didn't want to be called a Dirty Rotten Ape.

Really?

Well, that, and I wanted to help out with the costs of the lawsuit. But, yeah, I really felt insulted by the "Dirty Rotten Ape" thing. It actually would have prevented me from giving them money at all if it wasn't my favorite podcast. Why the need to insult people? I get it that it's something to do with their fascination with sci-fi and fantasy, but I enjoyed the show because it's science and skepticism, not because of a shared interest in fantasy. They should not assume that people who share one of their interests will share a different and completely unrelated one.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »
It's just a misquote from Planet of the Apes.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2018, 08:45:40 PM »
No, they had it correct

Well that's a relief. For a moment there, I thought they might have been slipping.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
No, they had it correct

Well that's a relief. For a moment there, I thought they might have been slipping.

Okay. Damn Dirty Ape is even worse. And my point stands. I generally won't give money to people who insult me. That the insult was an inside joke drawn from their fascination with a movie genre that does not interest me, is not an excuse. I once knew a guy whose mode of casual communication was gratuitous insults intended as jests. I found it impossible to be his friend. The SGU got away with it in my case because I enjoyed the podcast so much, and then during the lawsuit decided to up my donation, partly to support Steve's cause, and partly to leave the insult behind. Maybe the next level was also an insult, but since I didn't know the reference it didn't bother me. I've since moved to Patreon, at a lower level, since they don't have the same levels there.

I don't mind insults from people who hate me. And I appreciate constructive criticism from my friends. I cannot deal with gratuitous insults from people who are supposed to be my friends.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2018, 01:17:11 PM »
Yeah it's definitely an insult and to some extent intended as such. It's an insult that they (probably accurately) assumed wouldn't bother most fans, but there's still a reason the lowest tier was the most negative label.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2018, 01:47:15 PM »
I agree, it's a tad obnoxious to put negative-sounding labels on any level of pledge.

Their patrons can do anything they want with their their hard-earned money, and they've made the choice to support this organization. They SGU ought to praise them instead of trying to shame them into giving at a higher level.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »
I don't see the insults as intentional or an attempt at shaming. I see them as unintentional but thoughtless, and based on the assumption that listeners to the SGU would share their enthusiasm for those movies and find the references amusing.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2018, 03:11:13 PM »
Wow.  Just...wow.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2018, 03:40:02 PM »
I don't have an issue with it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2018, 04:55:37 PM »
Okay. Damn Dirty Ape is even worse. And my point stands. I generally won't give money to people who insult me. That the insult was an inside joke drawn from their fascination with a movie genre that does not interest me

How can a popularly known line from a famous 50 year old movie be considered an inside joke?  ???

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »
Okay. Damn Dirty Ape is even worse. And my point stands. I generally won't give money to people who insult me. That the insult was an inside joke drawn from their fascination with a movie genre that does not interest me

How can a popularly known line from a famous 50 year old movie be considered an inside joke?  ???

I never saw the movie or any of its sequels. I have no interest in the movie. If it showed up for free on Amazon Prime I would not spend the time to watch it. Not everybody is interested in that sort of stuff.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2018, 05:36:25 PM »
It's not about interest in watching dumb old movies.  The Venn diagram of people who would a) be interested in SGU and b) fail to immediately recognize that line from that movie as a piece of harmless fun regardless of whether they had ever seen the movie would overlap, essentially, on just you.  :)  It's a thing that we all collectively know.

(I remember more actual detail from the Simpsons musical Planet of the Apes than from the real movie, which I only ever saw once about 25 years ago and didn't particularly care for.)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2018, 05:48:38 PM »
(I remember more actual detail from the Simpsons musical Planet of the Apes than from the real movie, which I only ever saw once about 25 years ago and didn't particularly care for.)

Now you've got the Dr. Zaius song is playing in my head!

personate-rain