Author Topic: What would it take for you to stop listening to and/or supporting the SGU?  (Read 18941 times)

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
Re: What would it take for you to stop listening to and/or supporting the SGU?
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2018, 06:32:07 PM »
Okay. Damn Dirty Ape is even worse. And my point stands. I generally won't give money to people who insult me. That the insult was an inside joke drawn from their fascination with a movie genre that does not interest me

How can a popularly known line from a famous 50 year old movie be considered an inside joke?  ???

I never saw the movie or any of its sequels. I have no interest in the movie. If it showed up for free on Amazon Prime I would not spend the time to watch it. Not everybody is interested in that sort of stuff.

You would be the outlier in this group not to get that reference. It, like a lot of movie quotes, has been referenced in so much other source material, that seeing the movie is not required to get it.
All of the Level names would be known to the majority of people who listen to SGU. Even if they haven't seen the movie/TV show it references.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #181 on: August 31, 2018, 07:34:16 PM »
I never claimed to be normal.

And even though I assumed the reference was from one of those old grade-B sci-fi movies, I still found it demeaning to be called that for giving them money. Maybe I'm just too old, but I don't find insults amusing. Maybe it's my Asperger's. I don't read body language so words are important. There are probably old sci-fi movie references that would be complimentary rather than insulting.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2018, 07:41:03 PM »
(I remember more actual detail from the Simpsons musical Planet of the Apes than from the real movie, which I only ever saw once about 25 years ago and didn't particularly care for.)

Now you've got the Dr. Zaius song is playing in my head!
I hate every chimp I see from Chimpan- a to chimpanzee.  Oh yes you finally made a monkey out of me.

God how I love that episode.  Now I will be quoting lines from it all evening.

Try my new scent, "smellin' of Troy."
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2018, 10:56:19 PM »

And even though I assumed the reference was from one of those old grade-B sci-fi movies, I still found it demeaning to be called that for giving them money. Maybe I'm just too old, but I don't find insults amusing. Maybe it's my Asperger's. I don't read body language so words are important. There are probably old sci-fi movie references that would be complimentary rather than insulting.

Not being normal is a good thing  ;) I'm from a family of misfits. With a few Aspies included. I've never been diagnosed, but I wouldn't be surprised to be somewhere on the lower end of the autism spectrum myself.

I understand finding the level names insulting and not wanting to be referred as such.

For me they aren't because as a Science Fiction/Fantasy fan of a similar age to the boys (I'm 56), I get the joke and the tongue in cheek manner in which they were used.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2018, 11:15:10 PM »

Not being normal is a good thing  ;) I'm from a family of misfits. With a few Aspies included. I've never been diagnosed, but I wouldn't be surprised to be somewhere on the lower end of the autism spectrum myself.

I understand finding the level names insulting and not wanting to be referred as such.

For me they aren't because as a Science Fiction/Fantasy fan of a similar age to the boys (I'm 56), I get the joke and the tongue in cheek manner in which they were used.

A common element of the cultures I'm part of1 is increasing hostility and taking-the-piss-of as you become closer. Bluntly, my friend is that asshole fuckpost over there. My enemy is the party of the other opinion. The level of insult you can handle is a measure of the strength of the relationship. This is not a universal cultural approach to intimacy.

Daniel, when you input insults into the equation a parameter to consider is the intent of the insult. Was it meant to be hurtful? Or was it meant to demonstrate the strength of the relationship? I have had friends who might greet me with a huge grin and the words "You radioactive biohazard! How are you!" This is followed with a big hug and drinks and fun.

I am quite sure that 'Damn Dirty Ape' was meant to demonstrate a familiarity and trust, not to tell supporters to "Fuck the hell off you scabby vomit pools."

----
1Canadian (all Provinces but not neccessarily all territories), Trinidadian, UKian, Indian, and Afghan. I haven't encountered a culture that is polite to friends and rude to enemies. So far the opposite is true.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2018, 04:48:09 AM »
I haven't thought about those membership names for a long time, and now they're obsolete. But I can recall having a similar reaction. Being a "Damned Dirty Ape" or several of the others wasn't a draw for me. I see the names as mainly a display of the SGU crew's interests, rather than something I'd want to be classified as.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2018, 05:48:23 AM »
I haven't thought about those membership names for a long time, and now they're obsolete. But I can recall having a similar reaction. Being a "Damned Dirty Ape" or several of the others wasn't a draw for me. I see the names as mainly a display of the SGU crew's interests, rather than something I'd want to be classified as.

I don't know the reference, but I'd guess that it is a sci-fi reference, as the other membership levels also were sci-fi-based.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2018, 07:22:17 AM »
Wow.  Just...wow.
IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH TO MAKE SKEPTICS PEEVISH. IF I TYPE IN THIS MANNER I'M SHOUTING OR UNSTABLE AS DETERMINED BY OTHERS WHO SAY KNOCK IT OFF.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2018, 10:53:46 AM »
... Daniel, when you input insults into the equation a parameter to consider is the intent of the insult. Was it meant to be hurtful? Or was it meant to demonstrate the strength of the relationship? I have had friends who might greet me with a huge grin and the words "You radioactive biohazard! How are you!" This is followed with a big hug and drinks and fun.

I am quite sure that 'Damn Dirty Ape' was meant to demonstrate a familiarity and trust, not to tell supporters to "Fuck the hell off you scabby vomit pools."

You are right and I know that and even knew it then. I still find it hurtful. There's also this: You and your friends know each other. In addition to you knowing the insult was intended to be friendly, your friend knows that you will understand this. Your friend might say to you "You radioactive biohazard! How are you!" but would your friend say this to a stranger who he'd just sat down next to at a movie theater or ball game?

Friends might have a tacit understanding that insults spoken in a friendly tone are acceptable. The rogues don't know us. Some of us will certainly find this amusing. Others won't care. And some will feel hurt. My initial impulse when someone calls me a damn dirty ape is to think, "Well fuck you too." I know they intended it as a joke, which is why I've supported them with money all these years. But I'd respect them more as human beings if they'd shown me the respect to avoid the hurtful jokes.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2018, 01:02:50 PM »
wow, how did this go from possible sexually inappropriate touching/assult to "they made me feel bad by calling me an old movie reference." ?

"Damn dirty ape" is a metaphor for being human, we are all damn dirty apes. The film is filled with metaphors like that. I can understand how not knowing could make it upsetting but now you know. (BTW I named my dog Dr Zira after one of the lead characters)

Did anyone ever get a response on the sexually inappropriate behavior/assault?
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2018, 01:11:50 PM »
The Catholic church is looking into it.

Offline haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »
wow, how did this go from possible sexually inappropriate touching/assult to "they made me feel bad by calling me an old movie reference." ?

"Damn dirty ape" is a metaphor for being human, we are all damn dirty apes. The film is filled with metaphors like that. I can understand how not knowing could make it upsetting but now you know. (BTW I named my dog Dr Zira after one of the lead characters)

I watched planet of the apes and I still didn't get the reference. Albeit I am probably not as fascinated with the franchise as the rest of you. I only saw most of the movies once and forgot about them.

I found the levels a little odd, but not really offensive. But I can empathize with whoever may react differently and be hurt by them. At the end of the day they are just words. We live in a time where people are outraged by everything. I can't stand by that.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2018, 10:18:54 AM »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »

I watched planet of the apes and I still didn't get the reference. Albeit I am probably not as fascinated with the franchise as the rest of you. I only saw most of the movies once and forgot about them.

I found the levels a little odd, but not really offensive. But I can empathize with whoever may react differently and be hurt by them. At the end of the day they are just words. We live in a time where people are outraged by everything. I can't stand by that.

Come on, now, don't conflate someone not getting a joke with claims for "outrage culture." I'm sure it's not your intent, but that sounds like the kind of forced anti-SJW/buncha-snowflakes rhetoric that's designed to undermine the voices of people experiencing actual oppression. Let's not make this into the comment section for angry uncles who watch Fox News, especially when this is a sidebar discussion of Planet of The Apes quotes.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #194 on: December 26, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »
but its so hurtful
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

personate-rain