Author Topic: Neo-Roseanne  (Read 493 times)

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
Neo-Roseanne
« on: March 29, 2018, 01:02:21 PM »
I'm not ready to put it in "the very best" or "not the very best" threads yet, but it should have a thread and discussion nonetheless!

Roseanne season 10 started on ABC (and Hulu is where I'm seeing it) two weeks ago.
I like it!

The first ep is mostly about catching up with the times, introducing newly-old characters now with their own kids, ret-conning, and the sisters Roseanne and Jackie (Barr and Metcalf) dealing with their opposing politics.
I think splitting the family along Trump vs Hillary lines is brilliant, authentic. Opens up a lot to make fun of, and room for growth. This won't be boring or bland...
I gotta say it delivers exactly what the old Roseanne did for me... a family that feels realistically dysfunctional, dealing with timely issues, poverty, underemployment, being sarcastic and mean to each other for 18 minutes but having each other's back ultimately. The jokes are sharp, the rhythm and feel is exactly what I remembered, Goodman and Gilbert are awesome.

I am on board for this nostalgic ride!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
Re: Neo-Roseanne
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »
I've seen comparisons to "All in the Family," but almost everyone knew Archie Bunker/Carroll O'Connor was in on the joke in that series.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
Right, so, elephant in the room... Roseanne Barr's character is a Trump-supporter. And Roseanne Barr is apparently one in real life too.

I just don't care about the political football being played with the show.
I roll my eyes at the reaction from both sides of the culture war (see below) and wish we could just enjoy a fuckin' show together. Watch the show. Is there anything objectionable about it beside the political bent of the creator? If there is, we'll talk about it. Meantime, if the second episode is any indication, the show has the potential and power to get past conservatives' knee-jerk rejection of anything hollywood-liberal, model something they may be dealing with in their lives, and actually teach them something redeeming and progressive.

I was just asking a week ago can conservatives even do humor...? I haven't seen anything worth a damn. Until now.

Lula Reh
I don’t want to see fictional trump voters. I see enough in real life #Roseanne #Hardball

Piers Morgan
So Roseanne, a Trump supporter on & off screen, delivers stupendous ratings in the rebooted series.
A message there, methinks, for all the screaming Trump-hating liberals: not everyone in America thinks like you...

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 04:04:09 PM »
Never really dug the show, it wasn't aggressively bad like say 2 1/2 men, just something I couldn't get into.  I might check it out when its on Netflix.  That being said, Rosanne may be a Trump Voter but she hasn't been exactly conservative in the past.  She attempted to run for the presidency as a green and then in the peace and freedom party with Cindy Sheehan as a running mate.  She seems to dig on Trumps American first stuff and anti-establishment rhetoric more than identifiable policies.

As to conservatives and humor, they try.  There's a thread somewhere around here on why it usually doesn't work.  The leading theory seemed to be because they punch down instead of up so they just come across as bullies.  My favorite is that its really hard for a conservative to be transgressive which means they're mostly stuck with puns.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 04:07:02 PM by Ah.hell »

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 05:12:50 PM »
Last Man Standing was a conservative sitcom by a conservative actor and from what I saw wasn't terrible. Maybe I'm biased because I love Home Improvement though. So how did they deal with the Rosanne series finale where Dan had died and the whole last season was a dream? Is Goodman not on the show or did they undo it?

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 06:04:58 PM »
yeah, I saw that, it was watchable.... but I wouldn't. Roseanne is so much sharper.

Re: Dan. They undid it. He's back and, as I mentioned, great.
It's not really important how they do it but...
(click to show/hide)

Offline blahface

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 02:35:35 AM »
I just watched this and I thought it was pretty meh.  I haven't seen Roseanne since the 90's, but I remember it being much funnier.

I'm glad Darlene brought up Becky's age because it is ridiculous that a 43 year old woman would be hired as a surrogate.  It would also be ridiculous though to think that she could hide her age.

Also, shouldn't Harris be at least 20 years old by now?

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »
Piers Morgan
So Roseanne, a Trump supporter on & off screen, delivers stupendous ratings in the rebooted series.
A message there, methinks, for all the screaming Trump-hating liberals: not everyone in America thinks like you...

Wow Piers, way to Straw-man argue your case. Liberals think everyone thinks like them. Huh.
PS: Plenty of conservatives hate Trump as much as liberals do.
Why is Piers Morgan famous?

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 10:48:26 AM »
Piers Morgan
Wow Piers, way to Straw-man argue your case. Liberals think everyone thinks like them. Huh.
Most people, including liberals, think that most more people agree with them than actually due, its the false consensus effect.  So, he isn't exactly wrong.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 11:11:28 AM »
Right, so, elephant in the room... Roseanne Barr's character is a Trump-supporter. And Roseanne Barr is apparently one in real life too.

I just don't care about the political football being played with the show.
I roll my eyes at the reaction from both sides of the culture war (see below) and wish we could just enjoy a fuckin' show together. Watch the show. Is there anything objectionable about it beside the political bent of the creator? If there is, we'll talk about it. Meantime, if the second episode is any indication, the show has the potential and power to get past conservatives' knee-jerk rejection of anything hollywood-liberal, model something they may be dealing with in their lives, and actually teach them something redeeming and progressive.

I was just asking a week ago can conservatives even do humor...? I haven't seen anything worth a damn. Until now.

Lula Reh
I don’t want to see fictional trump voters. I see enough in real life #Roseanne #Hardball

Piers Morgan

Then there's the fact that she crucified the national anthem, grabbed her crotch and spit at the people when they booed her.

Yet Kaepernick is a son of a bitch for kneeling.

Piers must have missed that bit of information.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »
Piers Morgan
Most people, including liberals, think that most more people agree with them than actually due, its the false consensus effect.  So, he isn't exactly wrong.

A: he is going way beyond saying liberals think "most" people agree with them, and says "everyone" which is pretty basic hyperbole, but of the sort that a man who thinks very highly of his own intelligence normally avoids.

B: Most people do actually dislike Trump, and many will give pretty substantial reasons. Even his more circumspect supporters will acknowledge Trump brings much of this upon himself.

Offline John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 06:45:25 PM »
Roseanne has got to be out of her ever-loving mind.

It's the Daily Beast, not the most trustworthy of sources, but...

Roseanne Keeps Promoting QAnon, the Pro-Trump Conspiracy Theory That Makes Pizzagate Look Tame

‘President Trump has freed so many children held in bondage to pimps all over this world,’ she wrote Friday. It's not the first time she's dabbled in the conspiracy theory.

Kelly Weill | 03.30.18 5:09 AM ET

On Friday night, Roseanne Barr tweeted a bizarre message that no one seemed to understand.

“President Trump has freed so many children held in bondage to pimps all over this world. Hundreds each month. He has broken up trafficking rings in high places everywhere,” she wrote, adding he gets the benefit of the doubt from her.

But as recently as November, Barr fans were speculating that the Trump-supporting actress had secretly been taken out and swapped with an imposter as part of a massive “deep state” conspiracy.

Roseanne, Barr’s 1990s show about a blue-collar Illinois family, spent 21 years off air before returning Tuesday to a massive viewership of more than 18 million. Trump called Barr to congratulate her on the ratings.

Since the show’s last episode in 1997, Barr’s politics have taken a sharp turn right, with the actress voicing her support for Trump as well as a number of fringe conspiracy theories. In November, she became a bit player in one of her favorite theories: a 4Chan-based conspiracy called QAnon that alleges satanism and sex-trafficking by Trump’s opponents.

“who is Q?” Barr tweeted the morning of Nov. 17.

“tell Qanon to DM me in the nexxt 24 hours,” she tweeted hours later.

“Q” or “QAnon” refers to a user on the anonymous message board 4chan. The user claims to be a high-ranking government official with inside knowledge of the White House where, he claims, Trump is planning mass arrests of top Democrats for allegedly being involved in a satanic child-sex-trafficking ring. Or something. QAnon’s messages have always been vague to the point of near-gibberish, opening them to interpretation. When QAnon has given specifics—like the time he claimed John Podesta would be arrested or indicted Nov. 3—the prediction has fallen flat.

Days after that failed prophecy, Barr was on Twitter asking her followers to put her in touch with QAnon. Then, in what believers interpreted as confirmation of the QAnon theory, Barr’s internet presence went dark. Her Twitter account appeared to be suspended for several hours, and her website went offline for “technical reasons” according to a notice on the homepage.

“Roseanne had been talking about Q mostly all day and asking him to contact her, now,” one Redditor in the r/conspiracies subreddit wrote of Barr’s disappearance from Twitter, and claiming it confirmed the QAnon conspiracy. “I am viewing this as vindication.”

Barr was back online hours later.

“guys! i am OK! I’m here-thank you for worrying,” she wrote. “I am OK and back. explanation later on-”

“Q claims to be a high-ranking government official with inside knowledge of the White House where, he claims, Trump is planning mass arrests of top Democrats for allegedly being involved in a satanic child-sex-trafficking ring.”

She never appeared to offer the explanation. Redditors noted that Barr had lost more than 200,000 followers during her brief disappearance. The apparent purge suggests Barr’s account may have been flagged as having fake followers. Twitter does not comment on individual accounts, and a representative for Barr did not return The Daily Beast’s request for comment.

As for the technical difficulties on her website, DomainTools shows the website underwent a semi-regular maintenance procedure that day. Like many celebrities, Barr registers her website through a privacy-protecting service. The service registers the website under randomly generated email proxies, which change every few months. One of those occasional changes occurred Nov. 17, potentially causing technical difficulties or suggesting other technical work on the site that briefly took it offline.

But even with Barr returned, some fans were suspicious that an imposter had replaced her. “How do we know its you?” one tweeted at the returned Roseanne.

“Let us know that you are really back,” another tweeted. “Give us a real sign that will let us know it really is you.”

Redditors theorized that Barr had suspended herself to draw attention to QAnon. “Conspiracyception: She deleted her account to make it seem like Twitter is cooked,” one wrote.

The month after her brief disappearance, Barr deleted all her tweets and announced a temporary Twitter retirement after a knock-down fight with Hillary Clinton supporters on the website.

She was back in January, and has since resumed tweeting about QAnon, in apparent contradiction of fans who had previously claimed Twitter was censoring her conspiracy tweets. Since Friday, she has tweeted or retweeted content relating to QAnon (or its other name “The Storm”) at least four times, in addition to a March 24 tweet that read “MKULTRA,” the name of a 1960s CIA mind-control program. The context for the tweet was not clear.

Her most recent post about QAnon is a retweeted clip of Stephen Colbert welcoming then-candidate Donald Trump onto his show. “You are not supposed to see this video,” the video, which is tagged with a QAnon hashtag is captioned.

The clip, in fact, aired during Colbert’s CBS show. Barr retweeted it early Thursday. Hours earlier, she and Trump had spoken on the phone.

The QAnon tweets weren’t Barr’s first dabbling in conspiracy. A prolific Twitter user, Barr had once retweeted an InfoWars report “on the ‘5.7 Million Illegals’ who they baselessly claim voted in the presidential election,” The Daily Beast’s Amy Zimmerman previously reported. Barr has also pushed conspiracy theories about murdered Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich, whom some truthers believe was killed in a Clinton-ordered hit.

Barr’s politics have also tended toward the fringes. In 2009, Barr (who is Jewish) posed for a photoshoot in the Jewish youth magazine Heeb, in which she dressed as Hitler eating singed, human-shaped “Jew cookies.” The magazine, which labeled Barr “the last celebrity utterly incapable of giving a fuck” later pulled the photo spread.

In 2012, she launched a presidential campaign as a Green Party candidate but lost to Jill Stein in the primary. Since then, Barr’s views have veered right with blatantly Islamophobic tweets. In an August 2016 Twitter rant, she claimed “jew hater hillary clinton’s handler huma weiner is a filthy nazi whore.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roseanne-keeps-promoting-qanon-the-pro-trump-conspiracy-theory-that-makes-pizzagate-look-tame

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 08:18:38 AM »
I haven't watched it yet and not sure if I will? So much good TV, so little time. Baseball is back and just don't want to support her type of batshittery. I do like that it seems to have mixed views on the show and not everyone is pro trump. If it maintains that level of mixed views through out might binge watch it later.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 09:33:51 AM »
Because it doesn't really deserve its own thread and is sort of related.

What audience is there for the Murphy Brown revival?   All I remember is they got in a fight with Dan Quayle. 

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 12:10:07 PM »
Last Podcast on the Left did a small episode about QAnon this week.  I hadn't heard f it until I listened to this

personate-rain