Author Topic: Katja Sager  (Read 780 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Katja Sager
« on: March 30, 2018, 08:21:01 PM »
She is my new favorite organist. Born in Moscow, now living in Zurich where she is the resident organist at the Church of St Michael. She has taken first place several times at the all-Russian competitions organized by the Moscow University of Music.

What boggles my mind is, How must a person's brain work to be able to do this? The perfect coordination of ten fingers on two hands, and two feet, to make music this brilliant. If someone wanted to get me to go to church all they'd need to do is hire Katja Sager, or someone half as good, to play organ in a church close enough for me to drive to. I know that a lot of it is hours and years of practice, but I could practice ten hours a day for a hundred years and not be able to do that. And she practically dances as she plays. Anyhow, she just completely blows me away:

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
Re: Katja Sager
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:59:57 PM »
Didn't know you were an organ lover. I listen to the occasional organ recording, I enjoy Rachmaninoffs Isle of the Dead for one. Of course all the Bach organ music is great. I went to a recital once, the dedication of a new pipe organ. I've never owned any speakers that could made you feel the lowest notes the way those giant pipes could. The sound goes right through you, you really feel it. Do you attend organ concerts much? I do remember from that dedication the organist played the Widor Toccata. I had never heard it before, I left the church wondering what in the hell was that? It's really good.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Katja Sager
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 10:50:22 AM »
Actually, I'm not specifically an organ lover. I love Bach. I don't actually like all his organ music, or all his music generally. But at his best he's my favorite composer. Bach at his best (and the above, for me, is one of his very best), well performed (and for me the above is brilliantly performed), does something to my brain that I lack words for, but it both calms and energizes me. It calms the negative thoughts in my brain and it makes me tap my toes and wave my head and arms. I probably look like I have cerebral palsy when I'm listening to music like this. Also his harpsichord music, the solo violin, and some of the cantatas as well as the B Minor Mass.

Some of Vivaldi and Handel have a similar effect, though Bach is the best. Mozart never wrote a bad note. There is nothing of Mozart I don't enjoy, as there is with any of the others. But only at his very best does he approach the best of Bach.

I've never been to an organ concert. In my adult life I've never lived anywhere that to my knowledge there are Bach organ concerts.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck