Author Topic: Episode #665  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
Episode #665
« on: April 07, 2018, 01:18:28 PM »
What's the Word Atavism
News Items: Cell phones and cancer
Robot Bees on Mars
Largest Dinosaurs

Who's That Noisy

Questions and Emails

Interview with Mark Lynas http://www.marklynas.org/
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • blaugh
Re: Episode #665
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 05:39:54 PM »
I want "corollary" to be the What's the Word some day, so they can discuss the pronunciation. I usually hear it pronounced like the names Cora and Larry on the podcast, but Mark Lynas pronounced it roughly rhyming with "monotony", which is how I always thought it was supposed to sound.
"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

- Jack Kerouac, On The Road

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »
I want "corollary" to be the What's the Word some day, so they can discuss the pronunciation. I usually hear it pronounced like the names Cora and Larry on the podcast, but Mark Lynas pronounced it roughly rhyming with "monotony", which is how I always thought it was supposed to sound.

coROLLaree?  I can't say that rolls off the tongue easily. I think I'll stick with corollary rhyming with coronary.  Or do you say coRONaree for that one?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:58:56 PM by Ron Obvious »

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »
Nasa should have named them.

Plan Bee From Outer Space.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »
Why exactly were the Rogues shocked that an acupuncture study got fawning reception on Science Friday?  They've been soft on alternative medicine for years.  I think Paul Offit even talked about this on the SGU before.

Offline drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • blaugh
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 09:36:17 AM »

coROLLaree?  I can't say that rolls off the tongue easily. I think I'll stick with corollary rhyming with coronary.  Or do you say coRONaree for that one?
co-RAH-luh-ree
"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

Offline drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • blaugh
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »

do "monopoly" and "philosphy" and "economy" roll off the tongue? If so, the pronunciation of "corollary" I'm talking about is only giving you issues because you're locked into thinking of the other as "right".

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 03:09:52 PM »
Has the SGU mentioned Bill Nye since his "Saves the World" show? Or that show, ever? Notably the ad didn't.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:15:17 PM by 2397 »

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 05:28:29 PM »
Your pronunciation of corollary depends on where you live. No big deal. Pronunciations differ as one travels around the world.

The Mars bees won't be the fastest thing ever on Mars. Woola was faster.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 07:40:46 PM »
I got SoF right!!! This happens so seldom that I will crow about it. And I got it before any of the rogues gave their thoughts.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 09:32:56 PM »
Has the SGU mentioned Bill Nye since his "Saves the World" show? Or that show, ever? Notably the ad didn't.

lol some things are better forgotten
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline eduk

• Brand New
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 08:59:20 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post. Anyone else having any issues downloading episode 665? My phone app errors out and itunes simply does nothing. Older episodes download fine. Oh and I have changed the URL to https://feed.theskepticsguide.org/premium

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 09:03:11 AM »

I've never seen it, but I noticed it rated a 3.5 on imdb, with the sexuality episode at a nadir of 2.3.  I'm not a Bill Nye fan, but is it that bad or did he just piss off a lot of people with vested interests?

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »

I've never seen it, but I noticed it rated a 3.5 on imdb, with the sexuality episode at a nadir of 2.3.  I'm not a Bill Nye fan, but is it that bad or did he just piss off a lot of people with vested interests?
I only saw the first episode, I think it was really that bad.  Its interesting, on both Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic the critics give it much better reviews than the audience.  73% critics vs 26% audience. 

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 11:42:53 AM »

I largely agree with Bill Nye's politics, but based on the two episodes I watched and someone else's video summary, I think the show did a terrible job of conveying the message.

And at one point he basically said that nuclear power is bad because people think it's bad.

personate-rain