Author Topic: Episode #665  (Read 2543 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Episode #665
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post. Anyone else having any issues downloading episode 665? My phone app errors out and itunes simply does nothing. Older episodes download fine. Oh and I have changed the URL to https://feed.theskepticsguide.org/premium

I use iCatcher on iOS 10 (iPhone SE) and it downloaded fine. It's been so long since I set it up that I would not remember the URL. I don't think I changed anything when they announced a change in the URL, because as long as it works I see no need to fix it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 08:54:39 PM »
Has anyone read ‘Seeds of Science’?  I’ve just finished reading it, and I thought it was very good.  It’s almost made me reconsider my $50 monthly donation to Greenpeace because of their irrational and non-scientific opposition to GMOs despite all of the other good work they do.

I’m mainly concerned with global warming.  I thought, as a vegetarian, the strongest take home message that the world adopting America’s meat based diet would result in global temperatures greatly exceeding the target of no more than a 2 Kelvin temperature rise.  And that it would help if the world adopted India’s average meat intake, but I won’t make this point after battling for too long with a contributor on the forum for episode 663 who persists in insisting that vegetarian diets are dangerous leading to both type 2 diabetes and heart attacks.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 01:58:58 AM »
Has the SGU mentioned Bill Nye since his "Saves the World" show? Or that show, ever? Notably the ad didn't.
Yes it did. It explicitly mentioned that Cara had contributed to the show. And they've discussed it before.

Did anyone else find that the premium feed didn't download this episode? I went to the regular feed, which is why I know what the ad said.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 02:10:42 AM »
Also, I want to say (because I heard the ad this week) that it costs US$45 to ship a pair of socks to Australia. That's AU$58! Twice as much as the socks themselves! To make it worthwhile I'd have to spend over a hundred dollars for about three pairs.

Let's just say I won't be getting my socks from them any time soon.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 02:48:35 AM »
Also, I want to say (because I heard the ad this week) that it costs US$45 to ship a pair of socks to Australia. That's AU$58! Twice as much as the socks themselves! To make it worthwhile I'd have to spend over a hundred dollars for about three pairs.

Let's just say I won't be getting my socks from them any time soon.

I don’t know whether that’s true.  It seems to cost much more to ship something from Australia to America than from America to Australia.  I once bought a very good pair of hiking boats cheap from Amazon, but they arrived with a slight defect.  One of the lace eyelets was missing, so Amazon told me to post them back, and they’d replace them.  At the cheapest rate, it would have cost $70 around 4 times the special reduced price.  I pointed this out to them, and they agree to refund all the price save a nominal $10.  The stylet i replaced with a loop made with a cable tie costing a few cents.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 04:19:40 AM »
Yes it did. It explicitly mentioned that Cara had contributed to the show. And they've discussed it before.

True, but I think that was before the show was released. I'm looking for a discussion about the quality of it.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 04:19:42 AM »
Guys can someone explain why a flapping craft, an ornithopter of some kind would work better in low-pressure-low-gravity than something driven by a rotor or jet?  Intuitively to me, it seems like it would face all the same problems. 
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline martintolley

• Banned
  • Brand New
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 02:39:41 AM »
They've been soft on alternative medicine for years url=https://www.gmaillogin-wiki.com/ gmail login

Moderator Comment Broke spam link
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:18:55 AM by Rai »

personate-rain
personate-rain