Author Topic: Car inverters?  (Read 586 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Car inverters?
« on: April 14, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
I am thinking about getting an inverter for my other car.
That way I don't have to remember to grab the one I have if I switch vehicles.

Something I don't get is why there are such high wattage car inverters.
There are thousand watt inverters available for cars.

A modern laptop MIGHT be 100 watts. Both of mine are far below that.
One is 65 watts and the other (the one I use in the car) is 33 watts.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Car inverters?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 10:46:39 AM »
Mobile LAN party?

Offline albator

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
Is it just for your laptop, if it is, did you search for a car charger? That would be probably cheaper and more efficient.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 01:28:48 PM »
Is it just for your laptop, if it is, did you search for a car charger? That would be probably cheaper and more efficient.

A car charger is slightly less efficient from what I read but it looks like they are designed for (essentially) one model where an inverter can be used on multiple models. This can be debated though.

True issue is why would somebody need such high wattage inverters?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline albator

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 02:46:02 PM »
Higly doubt it, but whatever.
For a microwave oven you would need about 1000 watt, I could see a truck driver or camper wanting that, You also have people with crazy audio system in their car. 

Online st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
The bike ride I volunteer with uses vans parked on the top of the mountain filled with radios for communications on the course. It doesn't take that many radios putting out 50 W to start to get close to 1000 W.
It's always more complicated than that.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »
The bike ride I volunteer with uses vans parked on the top of the mountain filled with radios for communications on the course. It doesn't take that many radios putting out 50 W to start to get close to 1000 W.

I was not trying to argue that nobody has any purpose but that there are few uses of them for the average person.
Goin on Walmart.com, there are several 1000+ Watt inverters on the first page.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 04:42:26 PM »
I inverted my car once.
Self-described nerd

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 04:58:22 PM »
I inverted my car once.

I think I will avoid riding in the same car as you. . . . . .Especially if you are driving.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 05:00:40 PM »
I inverted my car once.

I think I will avoid riding in the same car as you. . . . . .Especially if you are driving.
It was a mechanical failure, single-vehicle, involving a substandard tyre, which insurance paid out on. And all passengers of the car (my children, aged about 8 at the time) came away from it injury-free. I had a slight cut on my elbow. But the car couldn't be driven again.
Self-described nerd

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 05:49:34 PM »
I just bought a 120W inverter.  They make them for all your power needs from 100W up to over 1000W.  If you don't need a big one, don't buy one.

When going on a trip with the family, I bring my bigger one because it is quite possible that my wife has her gaming laptop plugged in and the kids all have their MacBook Pros and phones plugged in.  Her laptop probably draws 300W because it is a beast.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 12:23:06 AM »
I just bought a 120W inverter.  They make them for all your power needs from 100W up to over 1000W.  If you don't need a big one, don't buy one.

When going on a trip with the family, I bring my bigger one because it is quite possible that my wife has her gaming laptop plugged in and the kids all have their MacBook Pros and phones plugged in.  Her laptop probably draws 300W because it is a beast.

A car load of people using laptops makes sense. Don't most kids use tablets though?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »
I have a 1500W 4-outlet inverter that cost about $200, which I really only use on long road trips. It's been quite useful on occasion, even for seemingly crazy things like heating water for hot coffee or tea while on the road.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 02:39:53 PM »
Well, it would not be the first time I was wrong  ;D

I honestly thought there was little use for inverters great than around 100 watts for most people
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 05:55:21 PM »
And I am now looking at a laptop with a 120 watt power supply  ;D
Guess I get to eat my own words. Netbook still is really low as far as wattage however.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain