Author Topic: Episode #674  (Read 17930 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #674
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2018, 09:01:07 pm »
“we” don’t have the term. I’ve never heard of it before

Are you from outside the U.S.? I ask because here (in the old world) the outrage machine is much diminished, if present at all.
yes, i’m in Italy. I feel there is definitely a softer attitude on this kind of issues here.

Italy is famous for its approach to feminism.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Zec

• Off to a Start
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2018, 09:39:43 am »
I’m looking forward for the neologism “italiansplaing” to be invented

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2018, 01:01:49 pm »
On the “Balance of Nature” discussion...

I was reminded of one of my favorite quotes by Dawkins, in an attempt to explain suffering:

The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute that it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping parasites, thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease. It must be so. If there ever is a time of plenty, this very fact will automatically lead to an increase in the population until the natural state of starvation and misery is restored. In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference.

From “River Out Of Eden - A Darwinian View”

(bolded mine)

Dawkins used “natural state” to imply a balance point, I think.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2018, 03:00:13 pm »
On the “Balance of Nature” discussion...

I was reminded of one of my favorite quotes by Dawkins, in an attempt to explain suffering:

The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute that it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping parasites, thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease. It must be so. If there ever is a time of plenty, this very fact will automatically lead to an increase in the population until the natural state of starvation and misery is restored. In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference.

From “River Out Of Eden - A Darwinian View”

(bolded mine)

Dawkins used “natural state” to imply a balance point, I think.

That's a good quote.

Perhaps the confusion here is that 'balance' usually has a positive, value-increasing valence in general use. The balance in nature is not positive in that sense, but we can slip into thinking it is. The phrase "the balance of nature" is like modern Disney versions of ancient fairy tales compared to the reality.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2018, 08:01:32 pm »
If there is a problematic pattern of behaviour that is specific to Italians, sure, why not?

Offline Zec

• Off to a Start
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2018, 04:09:33 am »
If there is a problematic pattern of behaviour that is specific to Italians, sure, why not?

but that would be usatarded.  you find it offensive? then maybe you are starting to see what my point is.

Offline Skepmic

• Off to a Start
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2018, 09:28:39 am »

Don't you mean unitedstatesplaining? Everyone on Earth falls victim to that, sometimes whole countries dissolve in a barrage of it.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2018, 07:49:19 pm »

but that would be usatarded.  you find it offensive? then maybe you are starting to see what my point is.
I'm not familiar with the term "usatarded". You do realise that I'm not American, right? Behold: colour.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2018, 06:02:41 pm »

Also, someone here stated they were sure Jay gets more corrections than Cara. Well - I read every e-mail, and I can tell you that the number of blatantly patronizing e-mails directed at Cara (and Rebecca before her) is orders of magnitude greater than the guys combined. It is common for Cara to get criticized for behavior that one or more of the rest of us also do. She will get called out by her gender, and often there are e-mails addressed to the guys which basically say - keep your woman in line.

that was me, I guess I am too innocent of these things.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.