Author Topic: This reminded me of here.  (Read 2943 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
This reminded me of here.
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:27:06 PM »

I come here once or twice a week, often when reminded of the SGU for some reason.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: This reminded me of here.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:44:14 AM »
Ah the sacred middle ground.
Where the answer ALWAYS is.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »
Why did that remind you of here?
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 02:13:46 PM »
Quite a lot of the discussion is angry ad hominem attacks, Gish gallops, and straw man attacks. This often drowns out civil argument and debate. I am often left feeling that this community has many members who have grossly inflated opinions of themselves. That is why I rarely comment anymore, and tend to stick to discussions of movies and other entertainment.

And no, whoever is reading this and feels offended or attacked, I'm not talking about you.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 02:35:26 PM »
Quite a lot of the discussion is angry ad hominem attacks, Gish gallops, and straw man attacks. This often drowns out civil argument and debate. I am often left feeling that this community has many members who have grossly inflated opinions of themselves. That is why I rarely comment anymore, and tend to stick to discussions of movies and other entertainment.

Aw.  :'(
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 02:49:33 PM »

Pretty sure he is talking about you.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 03:09:28 PM »

Pretty sure he is talking about you.

Probably.  You know how I get.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »

And no, whoever is reading this and feels offended or attacked, I'm not talking about you.

This closely resembles my feelings of this forum. I've been reading threads here for a few years now and only rarely feel motivated to post despite reading many of the discussions. I think there's is an uncalled for amount of snark and uncharitable interpretations of others often crossing into straw man territory based on what I view to be a fairly distinct in/out group. I suspect several people see a post by other specific users (or about a specific topic) and think something like "how can I attack or oppose this?" before reading the post.

The discourse here is less outright mean, likely due to good moderation, but I think users have just found more sophisticated sounding ways of hurling insults while technically abiding by the rules. That said, there's still some real gems on the SGU forums. When I compare to other communities I've frequented I find the best posts to be above average and the worst threads to also be above average with all the in between stuff being no better.

Was your connection with this place and the image more to do with the inflated head and the accusations of being an idiot without further justification or does the reference to taking the middle ground also hold true?
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Nosmas

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »
Double post
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 05:49:45 PM by Nosmas »

Offline Nosmas

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 05:49:24 PM »
Triple post? WTF ???

Time to go to bed...

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 06:12:46 PM »
Was your connection with this place and the image more to do with the inflated head and the accusations of being an idiot without further justification or does the reference to taking the middle ground also hold true?

My first impression of the head was that it held a huge brain. The concept of 'lofty thoughts' or 'telekinesis' may have flittered through my head. Then I realized it was inflated with enough hot air to float, and so must be empty of any significant brain matter. I've had and seen many interactions here where a question, idea, or proposal is met with scathing criticism rather than an effort to learn or educate. In some cases the 'corrections' are not based in any evidence. In others a moral or ethical stance is misconstrued as a matter of fact. We have a few ideologues in various domains too. As an aside, I'd love to have a discussion about what people believe in a given domain while recognizing that 'ought's can be described and analysed but not proven the way 'is's can be. Oh, and fundamental attribution error is rampant here, in the version I call the ISE (that is the assumption that everyone else is ignorant, stupid, or evil when their world view does not match my own).

I think many of the behaviours I find unappealing are direct consequence of the lack of diversity in this place. White American Males are the overwhelmingly dominant demographic here. Other demographic groups are routinely made unwelcome enough to abandon the place in short order. Over 14000 registered members and 31 with a 'green' status in the member list? With 11385 people who never made it past 'Brand New' status? That is not the hallmark of a welcoming community. I rarely see any serious effort to engage with another person's world view, to empathize or sympathize well enough to be able to describe a non-WAM world view. Johnny Slick was one of my favourite people here because he routinely made that effort. (Hi, Johnny. I know you still visit, but haven't posted in almost a year. Miss you, buddy.)

As for the middle ground, when I comment I often take a position that is a shade of grey since I rarely find absolute positions that are consistent with reality. I'll make a stand on evidence - that all of us are slaves to our cognitive biases, for example - but not much else.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
I think many of the behaviours I find unappealing are direct consequence of the lack of diversity in this place. White American Males are the overwhelmingly dominant demographic here. Other demographic groups are routinely made unwelcome enough to abandon the place in short order. Over 14000 registered members and 31 with a 'green' status in the member list? With 11385 people who never made it past 'Brand New' status? That is not the hallmark of a welcoming community. I rarely see any serious effort to engage with another person's world view, to empathize or sympathize well enough to be able to describe a non-WAM world view.
Exactly correct evaluation of this forum. This community has systematically and vociferously chased all the women and minorities away. People here don't agree about much, but they agree that white men know best about everything, including about what other people should think.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 06:58:46 PM »
I think many of the behaviours I find unappealing are direct consequence of the lack of diversity in this place. White American Males are the overwhelmingly dominant demographic here. Other demographic groups are routinely made unwelcome enough to abandon the place in short order. Over 14000 registered members and 31 with a 'green' status in the member list? With 11385 people who never made it past 'Brand New' status? That is not the hallmark of a welcoming community. I rarely see any serious effort to engage with another person's world view, to empathize or sympathize well enough to be able to describe a non-WAM world view.
Exactly correct evaluation of this forum. This community has systematically and vociferously chased all the women and minorities away. People here don't agree about much, but they agree that white men know best about everything, including about what other people should think.

I find this to be a slight exaggeration.  :raise:

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »
This is making me sad but I don't know what to do about it.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 07:06:59 PM »
This is making me sad but I don't know what to do about it.

personate-rain
personate-rain