Author Topic: Episode 667  (Read 1029 times)

Online Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Episode 667
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »
News Items: Communicating without Speaking, Nutrition Pseudoscience, Rare Earths, Eating Plastic
Who's That Noisy
Your Questions and E-mails: Acidic Food
Science or Fiction
#non-belief denialist

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Episode 667
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »
I assume that the extreme audibility of the inhalations was due to the limitations of the technology that was available. They were pretty distracting.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »
I was a daily listener of Coast to Coast AM in the late 90s and early 2000s.  Comparing him to Alex Jones is a bit unfair.  I don't remember him ever claiming there was some conspiracy against himself personally.  In fact, you could probably have figured out where he lived from what he said on the radio.  What he did do was give pretty much any crank a microphone with out ever really challenging them.  He'd have guests on consecutive days that completely contradicted one another and he'd act as though he was in complete agreement with both.

Also, the first place I'd ever heard of Seth Shostak and SETI or Michio Kaku. 

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 11:00:53 PM »
i'm sure Jay will get many emails about this but the pulp fiction ezeikel 25:17 quote is not from the bible.  Some of it is, but mostly its from a japanese karate movie.  From the wikipedia

While the final two sentences of Jules' speech are similar to the actual cited passage, the first two are fabricated from various biblical phrases.[200] The text of Ezekiel 25 preceding verse 17 indicates that God's wrath is retribution for the hostility of the Philistines. In the King James Version from which Jules' speech is adapted, Ezekiel 25:17 reads in its entirety:

And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.[201]

Tarantino's primary inspiration for the speech was the work of Japanese martial arts star Sonny Chiba. Its text and its identification as Ezekiel 25:17 derive from an almost identical creed that appears at the beginning of the Chiba movie Karate Kiba (The Bodyguard; 1976), where it is both shown as a scrolling text and read by an offscreen narrator.[202]

The version seen at the beginning of The Bodyguard (1976) is as follows:

The path of the righteous man and defender is beset on all sides by the iniquity of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the father of lost children. And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious anger, who poison and destroy my brothers; and they shall know that I am Chiba the Bodyguard when I shall lay my vengeance upon them!
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline russau

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 02:18:39 AM »
re: subvocalisation - i've had a thought pop into my head while i'm drinking, and i'm sure the subvocalisation has made me choke.  it's usually when i'm with others and i really want to blurt out what i'm thinking.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 03:11:39 AM »
re: subvocalisation - i've had a thought pop into my head while i'm drinking, and i'm sure the subvocalisation has made me choke.  it's usually when i'm with others and i really want to blurt out what i'm thinking.

I'm skeptical about subvocalisation, it's basically relying on the power of the AI to understand, recognise and interpret very small movements/sounds into full speech.  Even speech recognition based on actual speech isn't that reliable so I can't see this being particularly accurate.  On one hand I guess there are different data points to speech recognition, but I'm not totally convinced all the information is there to assemble full speech from subvocalisations.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 06:29:54 AM »
RIP Art Bell

introduced me to podcasts by having Skepticality as first hour guests on C2CAM (IIRC)

also had Phil Plait and Michael Shermer on, as well as Joe Nickell, Lawrence Krauss, Seth Shostak, Brian Greene, Ray Kurzweil.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:56:29 AM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 08:36:26 AM »
Sorry to hear about Steve's computer problem. Crap like that is why I dumped Microsoft. I hope he can get everything fixed. I am convinced that Microsoft and its crap software is largely responsible for much of the cybercrime today. I believe that if IBM had given the contract to write the operating system for its first PC to Digital Research, instead of to Microsoft, the entire world of computing would be different and much better. IBM gave the contract to the better salesman (read: con man) instead of to the better software company.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain