Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  (Read 7285 times)

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Avengers: Infinity War
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2018, 04:36:27 AM »
one of the things that sort of bugged me, was that the Avengers (et al) seemed quite happy to try to kill Thanos to stop him, but when they had him sedated and were trying to get the gauntlet off... why didn't they just slit his throat? To be honest, I was surprise Nebula didn't try to attack him in that state...

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2018, 03:24:41 PM »
Watch the HISHE video. It explains all.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »
So, you go through all the trouble to arrange a perfectly fair, completely random removal of exactly half the population...

And then airplanes that lost pilots crash, cars without drivers crash...
Presumably somewhere doctors mid-operation disappear...
Elsewhere in the universe, larger accidents happen as key personnel vanish...

Sucks to be the 51%...

Or did he include the side-effect deaths in the 50%?

Side question - was the 50% apportioned across the universe, or completely random?  Did each planet get culled to 50%?  Did each species?  Did each race?  Each sex?  Each nationality?  Each profession?  Each religion? 

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2018, 09:48:44 AM »
My biggest problem with the culling of only 50% is Thanos does not seem to grasp the basics of exponential growth. 

Thanos, if the bacteria population in a jar doubles every minute, and the jar is full at midnight when was it half full?  How long will it take to fill an entirely new jar of the same size?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2019, 06:20:25 PM »
Sorry for the necro, but something has been bugging me.* Right near the end Cap says "Heads up, we have incoming" and THEN Thanos appears. Anybody seen a explanation of that?

*No, I don't have the crabs.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2019, 08:39:19 PM »
Well, since you've resurrected the thread, let me just answer the criticism that instead of killing half the intelligent beings in the universe (including those on planets that had no shortage of resources) he could have just doubled the amount of resources.

If Thanos had done that it would have been the dullest movie in comic-book-movie history and would have lost money. He had to do what he did for the sake of the movie's shareholders.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2019, 07:35:29 AM »
Well, since you've resurrected the thread, let me just answer the criticism that instead of killing half the intelligent beings in the universe (including those on planets that had no shortage of resources) he could have just doubled the amount of resources.

If Thanos had done that it would have been the dullest movie in comic-book-movie history and would have lost money. He had to do what he did for the sake of the movie's shareholders.
He's not called "the Mad Titan" for nothing. He's an allegory for monomania. Hell, he's the poster child for monomania.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2019, 08:36:33 AM »

He's not called "the Mad Titan" for nothing. He's an allegory for monomania. Hell, he's the poster child for monomania.

I find it hard to believe the writers were thinking about allegories and poster children. I think they were just thinking about how to make a more spectacular bad guy than the last one, and a cliff-hanger ending that would get people to come see the next movie. It's the writers who are monomaniacs, not Thanos.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2019, 09:06:30 AM »

I find it hard to believe the writers were thinking about allegories and poster children. I think they were just thinking about how to make a more spectacular bad guy than the last one, and a cliff-hanger ending that would get people to come see the next movie. It's the writers who are monomaniacs, not Thanos.

Was it not based upon (loosely) the comics, so that the movie writers are kinda constrained by the actions of the character from before the movies were a thing?

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2019, 09:13:53 AM »
Weird as it may be, Thanos' actions make more sense in the comics.  He wants to kill a lot of people in order to impress the female embodiment of death. 

In the movies, not so much, even killing half the universe, just doesn't solve the problem, it only delays it a bit. 

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2019, 12:08:57 PM »

You don't have to believe. But remember he said he was the ONLY ONE...

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2019, 07:27:36 PM »
Only one what?
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2019, 07:59:33 PM »
Only one what?
The only one that saw what had to be done, that being killing half the life in the FUCKING UNIVERSE. For a long time had been running around the local galaxy killing half the population of planets, like Gamora's Zen-Whoberis people.

And in true comic book fashion he didn't consider that life would take ~70 years to be right back to pre-SNAP levels.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2019, 09:37:37 PM »
Only one what?
The only one that saw what had to be done, that being killing half the life in the FUCKING UNIVERSE. For a long time had been running around the local galaxy killing half the population of planets, like Gamora's Zen-Whoberis people.

And in true comic book fashion he didn't consider that life would take ~70 years to be right back to pre-SNAP levels.

But according to Ah.hell, that wasn't the comic-book version. In the comic-book version he killed all those people to impress a girl. It was the movie version that portrayed him as thinking that he was doing something good.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2019, 09:39:52 PM »
Only one what?

But according to Ah.hell, that wasn't the comic-book version. In the comic-book version he killed all those people to impress a girl. It was the movie version that portrayed him as thinking that he was doing something good.
"The Earthlings are unruly and thus cannot be ruled. To fight them is to court death." (Big grin from the big chin.)

Thanos had a thing for the lady called Death. He was trying to impress her by mass murder, IIRC.