Author Topic: Episode #668  (Read 2223 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Episode #668
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 05:47:14 PM »
I wouldn't be able to listen if I couldn't automate the process. I like the fact that my phone will automatically download and sort shows so I just have to plug in my earbuds and press play.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 06:16:37 PM »
I wouldn't be able to listen if I couldn't automate the process. I like the fact that my phone will automatically download and sort shows so I just have to plug in my earbuds and press play.

I like auto-download also. I have too many podcasts to be able easily to download them manually. But it's good to know that if there are audio problems, there might be a re-edit available.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 08:21:41 AM »

What app do you use? I use the Podcasts app that comes with my iPad. It used to be pretty good but now they messed with the interface and it's a kludge.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 09:12:46 AM »
I like auto-download also. I have too many podcasts to be able easily to download them manually. But it's good to know that if there are audio problems, there might be a re-edit available.
Do auto-download apps report back to the podcaster if and when a podcast has been listened to? When a podcaster says they have 100,000 downloads a week, any way to know if they were auto-downloaded and never listened to? Just curious.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
Do auto-download apps report back to the podcaster if and when a podcast has been listened to? When a podcaster says they have 100,000 downloads a week, any way to know if they were auto-downloaded and never listened to? Just curious.

I've always assumed that X number of downloads per week means just that. And if you delete and re-download, it counts twice. Or if you download to two devices but just listen on one or the other depending on where you are or what you're doing, it counts twice.

I'd imagine that advertisers do some research to try to figure out what percentage of downloads get listened to. There are podcasts I listen to every episode, and there are others I only listen to the episodes whose subject interests me.

Apps created be a content provider, like NPR1, might report listening statistics, but other apps would have no particular reason to do so, given how many different sources there are that would have to be reported to, and how many different channels there are for download.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 05:23:53 PM »

What app do you use? I use the Podcasts app that comes with my iPad. It used to be pretty good but now they messed with the interface and it's a kludge.
I use Downcast on my iPhone. I haven't tried any iPad apps since I don't usually carry that with me everywhere.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 06:39:38 AM »
cara pretty much got metallurgy backwards. You quickly cool metal to make it hard but brittle. You slowly cool metal to make is ductile but soft. The key to metallurgy is to have a balance. For example when I'm making a blade I want the edge to be harder so it can be sharpened and hold it's edge as we say. But the spine and tang need to be ductile to absorb the force. That's were all the technique of quenching comes in.

Listen again, she didn't really the concept backwards, just a single word.  Cara stated that annealing a metal "toughens it ... making it harder, less likely to break".  The only word that is incorrect there is harder.  Toughening is absolutely the correct term, although it's the one that sounds wrong at first since most people assume it is the same as hardening.
Sorry but to me that's like saying the following is only one word wrong.

The sky is green because other wavelengths particularly red and yellow are scattered less.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

personate-rain