ISTJ Logistician
ISFJ Defender
ESTJ Executive
ESFJ Consul
ISTP Virtuoso
ISFP Adventurer
ESTP Entrepreneur
ESFP Entertainer

Author Topic: Improving the Myers Brigg Test  (Read 3088 times)

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
Improving the Myers Brigg Test
« on: April 30, 2018, 02:15:27 AM »
For the last several weeks, I've been evaluating myself and the people in my life on the Myers Brigg test. For those unfamiliar, see https://www.16personalities.com/ for a quick test and a summary of the personality types. This website adds a 5th metric for stress. These metrics are:

Introvert - Extrovert (I/E)
Intuitive - Observant (N/S) (Intuitive is more like abstraction and Observant is more Pragmatism)
Thinking - Feeling (T/F)
Judging - Prospecting (J/P) (Judging is more Improvisational and Prospecting is more Planning)
and
Assertive - Turbulent (A/T) (A measure of neuroticism mainly)

So after taking this test, you get a 4, or in this case, 5 letter code which indicates your one of 16/32 personality types. I am
INTJ-T - or a neurotic 'Architect . The results were staggeringly accurate.

I was also able to pin my dad down as the Logistician and understand him for the first time. PetrolPetal is the Adventuer which has helped me understand her a great deal more.

But there is a problem with the test... it has no way of showing the strength of the effect. A 99/1 score shows up the same as a 49/51 score and answering a single question can flip your score from 49/51 to 51/49... so it is very weak with small effects. By example, my scores were

and because my scores were all at least separated by a margin of 20, my profile was accurate and matched me very well. But Petrol, due to her work persona getting in the way, and 51/49 scores, got the wrong profile initially... the entertainer.... so here is my proposition to improve the Meyers Brigg scores. I've already sent the foundation an email but as expected, no response so far. This can pack more information into the same number of characters. So for scores under 60, use a lower case letter... for scores, 60-79 use an upper case, and for scores 80 and above, use a bold letter. So my score would be INTJ-T. Perhaps better thresholds can be found with research. But to start with, this makes sense.

But someone who scored say, 90 Extrovert, 52 Intuitive, 75 Thinking, 56 Judging, 62 Turbulent would be displayed EiTj-T. It seems to me that this would subtract nothing, but add much to the test results, as you would know whether a particular personality metric was strong or weakly dominant. What do you think?

And I invite anyone to take the test to find out more about ourselves, and if you care to share you results, perhaps share them using my modified method? Does anyone have any further improvements on the idea or any idea on how I might go about getting it implemented? Regards, Snarl

https://www.16personalities.com/personality-types
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:44:48 AM by SnarlPatrick »
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Improving the Myers Brigg Test
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 02:26:48 AM »
whats the attraction of knowing where you fit into all this?  Is it that some categories are flattering, or is it that you can blame all your flaws on some personality disorder?
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 02:28:05 AM »
You could be even more accurate like this....

51-55 italic lower.
56- 60 lower.
61-70 ITALIC UPPER
71-80 UPPER
81-90 BOLD

whats the attraction of knowing where you fit into all this?  Is it that some categories are flattering, or is it that you can blame all your flaws on some personality disorder?

For me, it was more about understanding my own defence mechanisms and the way I am inclined to treat others, so I can compensate for both of those when they are not productive.

They are all written in a flattering way, although some have more insight than others, and of course, neuroticism isn't a good thing. It is also very useful, for those who have trouble getting along with others, to understand the root of personality clashes.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:34:02 AM by SnarlPatrick »
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 02:44:31 AM »
mine came out INTP-T, but I'm unconvinced by a lot of the questions.  They seemed to be focused on 3 things and endless variations of the same question.  Are you a planner or improviser?  Are you socially awkward or outgoing?  Are you down to earth or a day-dreamer?  They could just ask those questions up front, we could try to fudge the result if they asked it that way but I think we are all smart enough to see through the questions anyway.

I'm somewhere in the middle on most.  For example I like to have a good plan, but value improvisation too.  I clicked right in the middle for a lot of the questions.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:47:29 AM by God Bomb »
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 03:18:19 AM »
It could be improved by being based on actual science instead of bunkum.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 05:26:23 AM »
Well it doesn't screen for self-deception. Nothing stops someone from "gaming" the test and choosing the answers that sound most like what that person aspires or thinks of themselves. It's an okay test of self-image, but no better than a horoscope at adding any new information.

If we were going to start trying to group by personality traits, then I have to agree it might be better to ensure there's good science behind it first.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 10:57:12 AM »
I don’t see the benefit nor does PP from answering in anyway that strengthens your own delusions or ambitions. The results are private, nor is any particular personality type preferable, or at least presented that way. So why not try answering brutally honestly with yourself. I found it very much unlike a horoscope in that reading other personalities did not register like the one I tested as, although of course, I had more in common with those that shared more axis, as expected.

The benefit comes from self-knowledge, and needn’t be seen as a chastisement or a pat on the back, but merely a tool with which to steer your personality through the world of people.

What are your preferred personality models? Do you prefer the big 5 traits? Why so hard on Myers Brigg as unsupported by evidence? It seems to have been studied quite widely. Do you have a resource that would convince me that it is bunk?

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 11:08:13 AM »
Do a google search. Its easier to find stuff explaining why its basically horoscope rather than evidence supporting its use. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-myers-briggs-personality-test-is-pretty-much-meaningless-9359770/

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
As far as I can tell, these tests are basically like horoscopes. All the results are a bunch of nice things that you can apply to yourself and feel good about, and they are broadly interchangeable; only a few details might stick out.

Like omg that's such an INTP thing to say!
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 11:18:46 AM »
Do you believe personality can be measured? If so, what is the best metric or tool?

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 11:24:25 AM »
Do you believe personality can be measured? If so, what is the best metric or tool?
Because they are self-reported, it seems impossible to get over the inherent biases we have about ourselves. And otherwise, if you "blind" it by filling it out for somebody else, you are probably not getting the full picture. Myers-Briggs is bascially asking you if you are an introvert, and then telling you "hey, you're an introvert!" Yeah, thanks for that spectacular insight.

But learning things about your personality that you're not already aware of? I don't know how you'd go about that. Short of serious, guided therapy over a long period.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »
Maybe, but I don't think we are quite there yet.  Filling out a questionaire by yourself, that will probably never get you honest answers or insight to you're personality that you don't already believe or want to be true on some level. 

I believe most psychologists think some personality types have meaning, introvert and extrovert and a couple of others.  I still think the value of know that is overstated by most.   

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »
All I can say is that I found the strengths and weaknesses, physiology and relationship sections all informative and revealing and added new value information to my understanding.

Pp found that a lot of the the things she’d been criticized for in the past, were revealed in her personality analyses, and again, she is sitting here telling me she is now more reflective and willing to adjust her behavior as a consequence of reading her results... which took us two tries to get.

The main criticism, the binary nature of the four letters, is exactly what my suggestion corrects for and the business criticisms are irrelevant.

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
Well it doesn't screen for self-deception. Nothing stops someone from "gaming" the test and choosing the answers that sound most like what that person aspires or thinks of themselves. It's an okay test of self-image, but no better than a horoscope at adding any new information.

If we were going to start trying to group by personality traits, then I have to agree it might be better to ensure there's good science behind it first.

This is the problem I always have with these tests. Most people can just provide the answers in such a way that they get an outcome which represents something they wish they were more like. Or, some people are so lacking self awareness that they're unable to accurately answer questions about themselves.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
Apparently I'm “THE ARCHITECT” (INTJ-T)
The description it gives sounds wildly more flattering than I would describe my abilities and personality. It also gives me a horoscope kind of feeling although that may not be justified. I wonder if I took this test every year how often I would get different results. Some questions are so odd I think I would get a different result if I took it next week.

Questions I have an issue with:
"Logic is usually more important than heart when it comes to making important decisions."

I suspect most people pick the "agree" side of this question even if it's not true for them. It just sounds more reasonable to say you value reason over the feels when making decisions even if in reality you're not someone who does it.

"You would not call yourself a dreamer."

I have no idea what this is asking me. I choose the middle response for this reason.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!