ISTJ Logistician
ISFJ Defender
ESTJ Executive
ESFJ Consul
ISTP Virtuoso
ISFP Adventurer
ESTP Entrepreneur
ESFP Entertainer

Author Topic: Improving the Myers Brigg Test  (Read 546 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Improving the Myers Brigg Test
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 12:55:17 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Or, some people are so lacking self awareness that they're unable to accurately answer questions about themselves.
I'd argue, most people fall into that category.  For the most part, we are the worst judges of ourselves.  Which, in my opinion is one of the most important lessons of skepticism. 

Online SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 01:50:16 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Or, some people are so lacking self awareness that they're unable to accurately answer questions about themselves.
I'd argue, most people fall into that category.  For the most part, we are the worst judges of ourselves.  Which, in my opinion is one of the most important lessons of skepticism.
Dunning-Krueger factors in; we all know someone who isn't as much a people person as they think. The idea of the self is always different than the reality and different from how others percieve us. Perhaps we could be subjected to a blind areay of tests to determine how we really act.

I have no point that if Big 5 or BM or anything worked, I would have taken it when I enlisted so the giant bureaucracy could tell whether I was suited for particular types of jobs. Instead, I took a skills test and special jobs required that I be judged by other people, like the STA an Recon indocs, HET interview panels, etc.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »
(click to show/hide)

It would be interesting to see what kind of results we would get if we asked the 5 or 10 people who know is best to answer the survey for us with the exception of "what's going on in your head" type questions. Not that this would necessarily be accurate either but it could show the contrast between how you view yourself and how others do. Maybe my wife can answer if I'm a "dreamer"....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:10:33 PM by Nosmas »
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 04:58:03 PM »
Myers Briggs and similar tests are just ways for management consultants to fill out another half day and charge hideous fees to companies for management training and development sessions for employees.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »
Myers Briggs and similar tests are just ways for management consultants to fill out another half day and charge hideous fees to companies for management training and development sessions for employees.

Agreed. It is pseudoscientific nonsense, and it is sad that it appears to be used so extensively among recruiters and HR people.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline JuniorSpaceman

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 01:45:14 AM »
I agree with those saying that the test is pseudoscience, but what makes it dangerous is not how it is measured, but how it is applied to somehow categorise workers/students. I've been in a lot of workplaces around a lot of people (and I'd say I've had less jobs for someone my age than most), and 'intrinsic personality' is one of the least useful ways of determining how well somebody is going to do their job. Almost every other factor (ranging from external factors like pay, how interesting or relevant the work is, how supportive the team they're on is, through to internal but fluctuating factors like how much sleep they've had, and what they've eaten) is vastly more important than whether they are 'introverts' or 'extroverts'.

I think of the test results as being slightly more useful than astrology, but not by very much.

Offline John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 05:31:24 PM »
Myers Briggs is a load of corporate pop-psych garbage.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 02:02:40 PM »
Not sure if I agree with these results.

Personality type: “The Adventurer” (ISFP-A)
Individual traits: Introverted – 81%, Observant – 62%, Feeling – 53%, Prospecting – 63%, Assertive – 69%
Role: Explorer
Strategy: Confident Individualism
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 05:14:53 PM »
I completely agree, but it did serve one useful purpose for me. I had to do one for a job once, and of course my Introvert score was through the roof. Obviously. But after pointing this out to the other people in my office, they no longer bugged me to join in their morning teas and social events. So that was nice.

Offline John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 03:00:25 PM »

I completely agree, but it did serve one useful purpose for me. I had to do one for a job once, and of course my Introvert score was through the roof. Obviously. But after pointing this out to the other people in my office, they no longer bugged me to join in their morning teas and social events. So that was nice.

In one of my jobs, I convinced a manager to let me excuse myself from unnecessary meetings and put a "Do Not Disturb" sign above my cubicle whenever I needed to work uninterrupted.

personate-rain