Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Cara
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2018, 07:46:19 PM »
Just want to point out that
"He always seemed lovely to me"
Is pretty much irrelevant most of the time when discussing how a person may have acted with someone else.

First of all, anyone can turn on the charm for an interview or a few days when knowing that people will be forming judgements of them.

Secondly, we know that people act differently depending on the gender of the person they are dealing with or how familiar they are with them.

As for Evan- Seeing as how this was reported to Steve, I dont see much reason to think that at least Jay or Bob do not also know.

We were also told that Jay and Courtney Novella both knew about Joshie Berger’s alleged assault on his girlfriend at least before his most recent appearance on the show (I’m unclear on the precise timing).

I have been struggling with what to do about this since I was first informed several months ago. As some may have noticed, I was mostly absent from this forum for several months, at least partially because Of disgust at this situation (although I have had personal issues that have occupied much of my time and which were also a factor).  I now think that it’s time for concerted action. I think I shall start a new thread to discuss the issue.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »
I'm very glad to have you back, The Latinist.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2018, 09:23:37 PM »
Just want to point out that
"He always seemed lovely to me"
Is pretty much irrelevant most of the time when discussing how a person may have acted with someone else.

First of all, anyone can turn on the charm for an interview or a few days when knowing that people will be forming judgements of them.

Secondly, we know that people act differently depending on the gender of the person they are dealing with or how familiar they are with them.

As for Evan- Seeing as how this was reported to Steve, I dont see much reason to think that at least Jay or Bob do not also know.

We were also told that Jay and Courtney Novella both knew about Joshie Berger’s alleged assault on his girlfriend at least before his most recent appearance on the show (I’m unclear on the precise timing).

I have been struggling with what to do about this since I was first informed several months ago. As some may have noticed, I was mostly absent from this forum for several months, at least partially because Of disgust at this situation (although I have had personal issues that have occupied much of my time and which were also a factor).  I now think that it’s time for concerted action. I think I shall start a new thread to discuss the issue.

Indeed; welcome back! For what it's worth, I started a thread on this stuff a little bit ago that you may have missed.

https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,50043.msg9558418.html#msg9558418

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2018, 05:03:52 AM »

Is it established that they did know? I haven't followed that particular part very closely, but I vaguely recall that some of them said they didn't know, and nothing more came out of it. What really happened?

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2018, 05:58:49 AM »

Is it established that they did know? I haven't followed that particular part very closely, but I vaguely recall that some of them said they didn't know, and nothing more came out of it. What really happened?
Yeah. If you reread that thread you will see that they knew.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2018, 04:23:21 PM »
Same. Same.
Still on the fence about all of being here and listening. Honestly, I'm not sure what to do about it.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »
Another thing is would Dr Novella do the podcast without his brothers. They are a close group.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2018, 06:07:37 PM »
I’m not saying they need to get rid of Jay and Bob.  I think the podcast would be better with their participation scaled back, but I recognize that it’s largely a family endeavor.

That said, I think they need to deal with the allegation that a member of their panel sexually assaulted a volunteer.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2018, 06:35:18 PM »
I don't know what they can do besides say "sorry it happened," and sorry that some not-Steve members of the group knew but didn't really say anything because years ago they didn't think this kind of a thing was a big deal.

I’m not saying they need to get rid of Jay and Bob.  I think the podcast would be better with their participation scaled back, but I recognize that it’s largely a family endeavor.

That said, I think they need to deal with the allegation that a member of their panel sexually assaulted a volunteer.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2018, 06:58:47 PM »
There are lots of things they could do.  They could remove that panelist even if he has been a friend for years.  They could talk publicly about what changes they’re making to ensure a better response in the future.  They could use some of their considerable reach to talk about these issues, both within skepticism and without.  They could talk about and distance themselves from the misogyny and conspiratorial leanings of their lawyer.  And they could even find themselves new counsel for the future.  Those things would go a long way toward restoring my faith in the podcast and would make me much more well disposed to volunteering my time and talents maintaining their forum.

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2018, 07:16:07 PM »
You might be right. It might be time to do a podcast on it if they haven't done one yet on this topic.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »
You might be right. It might be time to do a podcast on it if they haven't done one yet on this topic.

I think, at necss coincidentally, they talked about the importance of skepticism and journalistic due diligence in rape cases because there was a famous story, one in that tiny percentage of instances, that got published in some major magazine where a person fabricated a story that didn't check out at all. That isn't the same as creepy behavior and other forms of harassment or assault, and I'm not saying they were wrong.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2018, 05:08:15 AM »
There are lots of things they could do.  They could remove that panelist even if he has been a friend for years.  They could talk publicly about what changes they’re making to ensure a better response in the future.  They could use some of their considerable reach to talk about these issues, both within skepticism and without.  They could talk about and distance themselves from the misogyny and conspiratorial leanings of their lawyer.  And they could even find themselves new counsel for the future.  Those things would go a long way toward restoring my faith in the podcast and would make me much more well disposed to volunteering my time and talents maintaining their forum.

I just want to say, don't get your hope up too high. I don't know if they are high, but just in case.

Evan has been a friend of them for decades, and from what I understand is a family friend of the Novellas. That alone makes it very unlikely that they will remove him, or it will put the bars for doing so very high. As of now, they are currently marketing their book, and they will be going to QED in Manchester, UK. I imagine that about the last thing they want is to deal with a member guilty of sexual harassment.

As for a rotating show, it's unlikely. Steve and Jay played in bands in their younger years and I think they treat the show as a band, with Steve as the frontman.

Offline JohnM

« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »
I'm starting to think that a refreshed SGU with Cara and Steve as co-hosts and rotating weekly guests would be an improvement.  Jay and Bob could be in the rotation, but fresh blood would be good, too.

This is a great idea. As per the OPs question, I do agree if you did a word count Cara would come out second to Steve but that's because she so much more knowledgeable than the others (it is her day job after all). But I think this is a good thing as she offers a distinctive voice. Not just because she is female but also her age and politics also differ.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2018, 04:32:35 PM »
How does her politics differ in a way that shows on the show? Bob from time to time makes remarks quite clearly directed at Trump. None of them are Trump supporters.

personate-rain