Author Topic: Episode #669  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #669
« on: May 05, 2018, 08:55:13 AM »
Interview with Ethan Winer
What's the Word: Fallacy
News Items: Flipping Magnetic Fields, Self-Assembling Space Telescope, JFK Headshot, Growing Brains
Who's That Noisy
Your Questions and E-mails: Annealing vs Tempering
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Episode #669
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
Very enjoyable episode.  Mistletoe! Who'd-a-thunk that would be a theme for SorF??
I did hear another podcast on the recent Magnetic Fields flipping being unlikely.  There was a brief mention on a flipping occurring at the start of the pre-cambrian and that it may have sparked the Cambrian Explosion.
We have a relatively strong northern magnetic pole and a somewhat weaker magnetic pole...and depending where you are in the southern ocean, you might find several southerns poles.

Those fields will flip at some point in the future.  I'll wonder how we'll deal with it since it takes about 100 years to settle back down and provide the protection we need today from high energy solar radiation.

Anyway...shit stick. Nice!  But Unicorns don't poop on Mistletoe, FYI.
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »
Oh I forgot...Happy 13th!  I started listening 12 years ago and the SGU has been my #1 fave for all 12 years! :love:
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 09:13:23 PM »
Was Frank Zappa a great skeptic?

"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline Dayowl777

• Brand New
Re: Episode #669 Who's that noisy
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 04:08:18 AM »
First time to post on the SGU. Love your show and educational segments. I really thinks the noise clip in Episode #669 are pennies rolling down the spiral wishing well in Los Vegas, NV. Science Child's Museum.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 05:53:54 AM »
Was Frank Zappa a great skeptic?
No. He said some cringeworthy stuff at times. He understood music, could talk about melody, etc.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:33:36 AM by DevoutCatalyst »

Online lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 06:37:12 AM »
So cara your saying the ethics of organoids are a grey matter.

Ba da bum tish.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Offline 6ball

• Brand New
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 08:07:56 AM »
Mistletoe is the punchline to a silly joke.

"What do astronauts get instead of athelete's foot?"

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 09:24:17 PM »
Oh my god, you guys.
One time I had a pole flip on me.  It whipped around and slapped me right in the south side of my assneck.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 10:10:25 PM »
Very enjoyable episode.  Mistletoe! Who'd-a-thunk that would be a theme for SorF??
I did hear another podcast on the recent Magnetic Fields flipping being unlikely.  There was a brief mention on a flipping occurring at the start of the pre-cambrian and that it may have sparked the Cambrian Explosion.
We have a relatively strong northern magnetic pole and a somewhat weaker magnetic pole...and depending where you are in the southern ocean, you might find several southerns poles.

Those fields will flip at some point in the future.  I'll wonder how we'll deal with it since it takes about 100 years to settle back down and provide the protection we need today from high energy solar radiation.

Anyway...shit stick. Nice!  But Unicorns don't poop on Mistletoe, FYI.

I haven’t read the study on which the report was based, but it’s my understanding that when the magnetic poles flip, the magnetic field doesn’t disappear (along with the protection against cosmic radiation).  What happens is that the north magnetic pole rapidly migrates to the south and the south magnetic pole rapidly migrates to the north on the opposite side of the globe until the two poles are roughly in the region of the geographical poles at which point the movement of the magnetic poles slows down to normal.

The ‘flip’ occurs too rapidly to be shown in the geological record of the polarity of ferrite crystal in rocks.

During the ‘flip’ the northern magnetic pole might at some time be centred over Tahiti.  The magnetic field still persists and is still providing protection from cosmic radiation, so there’s no mass extinction, either major or minor.

As an aside, I don’t think that a ‘flip’ would affect migratory birds much.  Migratory birds use the magnetic field as part of their map of the world.  First year birds follow their parents (and other experienced birds) to learn their migratory routes, while at the same time learning the direction of the magnetic field as part of their map.  During the ‘flip’ the magnetic field is changing slowly (in bird years), so their memory  of the magnetic field is changing slowly too, so their map is changing slowly too.

It’s no different to you navigating from one location to another using changing maps as the intervening roads and towns change due to development.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Skepmic

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 05:43:14 PM »
13 years already, damn. I feel old, etc.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 06:02:28 PM »
For some reason Downcast didn't download this episode. I got the Premium Content, but not the main show.

I'm downloading it manually now.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline brilu34

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 09:01:11 PM »
Regardless of what Perry died thinking, Tony Soprano is dead.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »
Regardless of what Perry died thinking, Tony Soprano is dead.

He’d be dead, if he’d been alive in the first place.  Not that I’ve ever watched ‘the Sopranos.’  Was it a musical?
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 12:34:18 PM »
Not that I’ve ever watched ‘the Sopranos.’  Was it a musical?
That's what I had thought when I saw the VHS box sets at Walmart back in the stone age. I've only seen the 1st episode. Despite it being hugely popular I couldn't get into it and found it lacking in verisimilitude. Gangsters might watch it to learn how they are supposed to act.

personate-rain