Author Topic: Bart Ehrman Blog podcast  (Read 390 times)

Offline God Bomb

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Bart Ehrman Blog podcast
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:10:36 AM »
I heard Bart Ehrman on Sam Harris' podcast and he sounded like an interesting guy so I checked out his podcast.  He was a fundamentalist Christian but by studying Christianity in a critical way he lost his faith so to speak.  Now he is a non-christian, biblical historicity scholar, and his podcast is excerpts from his blog where he discusses inconsistencies, misconceptions, facts and myths about the biblical texts. 
I'm finding it pretty interesting and I wish there were more educational podcasts out there talking about religion, rather than preaching or railing against religion.  If we really dismantle these ideas, we see them for what they are.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Bart Ehrman Blog podcast
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:43:17 AM »
I will check this out, I've read at least one of his books about whether Jesus actually existed or not, I enjoyed it, mostly because it confirmed my pre-existing belief on the matter.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:02:45 AM »
He has one of the "Great Courses" available on Audible called, I believe, "How Jesus Became God." It is one of the better of these that I listened to. I have studied a lot about that era and he brought in a lot of things I did not know.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline God Bomb

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »
He has one of the "Great Courses" available on Audible called, I believe, "How Jesus Became God." It is one of the better of these that I listened to. I have studied a lot about that era and he brought in a lot of things I did not know.

Thanks, I'll check that out

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:20:12 PM »

Thanks, I'll check that out

tl;dr - The Apostle Paul was a master of social media circa 50 CE.
Mister Beagle

Offline God Bomb

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 09:47:13 PM »
If anyone knows of any similar secular analyses of christianity or other religions in audio format, let me know

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 09:04:29 AM »
Sounds a bit like Robert M. Price. Smart guy who, alas, came out as a raving Trump supporter. Can't listen to his shit these days.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 09:16:53 AM »
He was a fundamentalist Christian but by studying Christianity in a critical way he lost his faith so to speak.
It doesn't surprise me that Ehrman got out. Fundamentalist Christians have high expectations for their personal God to be real and generous and useful to humanity. It shouldn't take long to for them to see that their powerful God isn't like that and isn't there at all. Unfortunately way too many fundamentalists never get free from fundamentalism's grasp and instead lazily rationalize away their big God's terrible under-performance. Christians get sick and die at the same rate as non Christians, fundamentalists get divorced in high numbers, pain and suffering is all too rampant. And so forth. Plus the Bible is just plain fucking weird. Hopefully many will follow Ehrman's path. It is heartening to find escapees from fundamentalism on YouTube telling their tales to lend a hand for others to get out of the sticky predicament they once found themselves in.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:50:25 AM by DevoutCatalyst »

Offline God Bomb

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 07:11:16 AM »
he's frequently said the problem of suffering was his main reason for becoming an agnostic atheist

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 09:25:16 AM »
he's frequently said the problem of suffering was his main reason for becoming an agnostic atheist

He wrote a book about it:

God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer
Mister Beagle

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 08:33:46 AM »
I downloaded a couple eps. What a weird idea for a podcast. This isn't Ehrman doing a podcast. This is someone else reading an Ehrman blog post and then giving a reader's digest of better blog comments and Ehrman's response. I'm not saying it doesn't work. Based on the small sample I listened to, it seemed reasonable.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

personate-rain