Author Topic: VS: Who Would Win?  (Read 3716 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: VS: Who Would Win?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 12:58:13 AM »
Do you even narrative, bro? :)
I do but I don't superhero. So if there's some context behind his appearing to contemplate giving everything up the first time he loses, I have missed it.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 07:26:29 AM »
I do but I don't superhero. So if there's some context behind his appearing to contemplate giving everything up the first time he loses, I have missed it.

TBH that may have been a low blow too early in the game, If you pidgin-hole Spidey as a teenager struggling through adolescence, and being a superhero, the cards are already stacked against him. especially when a "young Sherlock Holmes" seems to have had his act together already.

And even as they both mature, sure one goes to addiction, and one goes to..."Mary Jane" (heh, heh, heh). There is a clear winner here, considering the audience, I"m ready to call for a vote.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 09:10:56 AM »
For the clarity of this and future games, I would suggest that we hold the vote on this, the first match-up, for clarification on the confrontation scenario itself.  I hold out hope that this thought experiment will be more than slugfests.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »
For the clarity of this and future games, I would suggest that we hold the vote on this, the first match-up, for clarification on the confrontation scenario itself.  I hold out hope that this thought experiment will be more than slugfests.

So far there is no specified scenario for the evaluation of 'better than' so each pairing will have to establish one. Elric vs Schrodinger's Cat is not likely to be a slugfest, for example. :)

evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 10:32:05 AM »

TBH that may have been a low blow too early in the game, If you pidgin-hole Spidey as a teenager struggling through adolescence, and being a superhero, the cards are already stacked against him. especially when a "young Sherlock Holmes" seems to have had his act together already.

And even as they both mature, sure one goes to addiction, and one goes to..."Mary Jane" (heh, heh, heh).

It is hard for me to imagine a scenario when a human or human-derived person experiences their first defeat overwhelming defeat and is not shaken up. My lack of imagination is not a good argument, but even considering the availability bias, it seems much more reasonable that Peter finds himself questioning his worth for a little while before rallying and coming back clever and strong. (Sadly, Young Sherlock's trailer is not visible in my country.)

There is a clear winner here, considering the audience, I"m ready to call for a vote.

HighPockets has called for a

FINALE!

Observers have 24h from the time stamp above to post

VOTE: Spider-Man

or

VOTE: Sherlock Holmes

You may post arguments and rationales with your vote. I think we may want to amend the rules to say the champions (me and HighPockets in this case) stay out of the discussion unless asked a specific question.

The winner will be determined tomorrow morning.

Thanks for arguing!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 09:28:59 PM »
VOTE: Spidey. 

Sherlock is an officious shit.  People would rally to Spidey when he needs them.  They'd as likely spit on Holmes.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:24:45 AM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 11:32:49 PM »
Spidey.  Sherlock is an officious shit, and people would rally to him when he needs them.  They'd as likely spot on Holmes.

Make sure you specifically say "VOTE: Spidey" or "VOTE: Holmes" or some variation that includes the word "VOTE" to make managing this wildly popular game easier to manage. :)

Offline Nosmas

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 07:55:28 AM »
VOTE: Spiderman

Unless stated otherwise I assume all vs matches are confrontations that do not rule out physical violence. So unless Spiderman can't find Sherlock then he wins either by killing, incapacitating, or just slapping him around until he submits.

I think if someone proposes a challenger who isn't typically a fighter of some sort then they should set up some context for the "battle" which makes it believable that they would win.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline fred.slota

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »
Vote: Sherlock

Blinded slugfest, no question it's Spidey.  He doesn't even have to come close.  Thwip, thwip, and Sherlock is all tied up.

Blinded slugfest is dumb, limitred and uncreative.

Give each knowledge of their foe, or the time to gain that knowledge on their own; let each approach a confrontation in their own terms and milieu; and Sherlock can out-think Peter's abilities and intelligence.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
VOTE: Sherlock. Much as I hate to say it.

As Fred S said, if each were aware of the other Holmes would win. I think it would be close and if we had multiple alternate universes to test it out I would predict 60/40 win/loss ratio. Sherlock just about wins through sheer force of reasoning by setting an unbreakable spider trap or otherwise tricking the webslinger.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 12:10:41 AM »
OK, so if I'm reading this all right (and sorry it took me like 18h to finally get here, sorry) we have 2 votes for Spider-Man and 2 votes for Sherlock.

Hm.

I think we need more players?

What say we see if we can recruit folks to vote before midnight Friday. PM a link to a pal? An enemy who will vote against the other side in this match?

Offline Zaros

• been pissed off for years
  • Well Established
  • I'm the Sheriff.
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 08:51:43 PM »
After reading through and seeing the vast swath of evidence...

Vote: Sherlock as the winner
World Cup Bracket League Winner

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 11:38:38 AM »
Thanks Zaros.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »
Thank you for playing, folks. I hope this can expand into a fun forum for fielding frustrating farguments.

Round 1 goes to SHERLOCK, champion of HighPockets!

Round 2 goes to whomsoever chooses a new champion. Brill and HP can not choose champions this round, but we can argue and vote.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 02:06:16 PM by brilligtove »

personate-rain
personate-rain