Author Topic: Episode #671  (Read 10045 times)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Episode #671
« on: May 20, 2018, 02:20:16 PM »

What's the Word: Consanguineous
News Items: Yanny or Laurel, Google Duplex, Falcon-9 Launches, Coffee a Carcinogen, Alien Octopuses
Science or Fiction
#non-belief denialist

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #671
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 02:34:34 PM »
I'll stick with merino for socks. 

We were told in no uncertain terms that the population should eschew fat and eat more processed grains... oops.  I'll stick with coffee, thanks Sanjiv Chopra.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 02:47:29 PM by lonely moa »
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:25:01 PM »
OK when they played the viral audio, I heard Yanni - even though I always heard Laurel before.  I figured it was because I was listening to podcasts at 1.4 speed so I slowed it down and even at 0.3 speed I was still hearing Yanni.

So my conclusion is that it's not just the frequency, or else I would've noticed a difference at the speed.  Those other audio things must be masking the lower frequency out somehow rather than just increasing the frequency of the whole thing.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline alfaniner

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 06:25:08 PM »
Here are a couple things related to your latest podcast:

Green Sky at Morning.
Was out for a morning walk with the dog and noticed it was getting dark from the west (behind me).  Turned around and saw this approaching.
I was less than five houses away from home and we barely made it back before the downpour started.  (Minnesota)

And a related noisy (viddy) to something a few weeks ago
Turtles mating (I thought this one was the answer to the lynx mating one)

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 08:24:14 PM »
I watched some trees (30M Pinus Radiata) get broken and uprooted a few years ago.  It was just before dawn and I thought it aa good idea to get the cattle out of this paddock.  No tornado but steady 160kph winds gusting somewhat higher.  Scary.  We lost a couple dozen trees, Canterbury lost a few hundred thousand. 

Some scary chainsawing to open the driveway and some good help by a good friend and a skitter.  No more of that, please.

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 08:32:35 PM »
Steve... what about your banana plants? Did they survived the extreme winds?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline elert

• Off to a Start
    • The Physics Hypertextbook
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 08:55:51 PM »
I heard, sometime in the distant past, that green skies during severe weather were caused by large pieces of ice (i.e., hailstones). I heard that once and have not bothered to verify it. Just throwing it out to the forum in case it triggers helpful thoughts in someone else.

Also, photons do not have mass and Woody Allen never said they did.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 12:08:02 AM »
I'm super behind on all my podcasts.  When's the Yanny/Laurel segment?  Is there actually a difficult-to-discern audio track out there?

I've heard two alleged 'Yanny/Laurel' tracks.  One's audio was a clear, "Laurel," and the other's audio was overlapping tracks, neither of which were Yanny or Laurel.

Also, I'm super behind on all my podcasts.  Have they done anything on the recent spate of 'nutritionally-complete meal replacement' drinks like Soylent and Huel? 
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 03:54:32 AM »
I heard, sometime in the distant past, that green skies during severe weather were caused by large pieces of ice (i.e., hailstones). I heard that once and have not bothered to verify it. Just throwing it out to the forum in case it triggers helpful thoughts in someone else.

Also, photons do not have mass and Woody Allen never said they did.

Photons do have mass (equivalent).  Mass is energy and energy is mass.  It’s estimated that the cosmic microwave background photons amount to around 0.1% of the mass of the Universe.

I’ve found references on the Internet to Woody Allen uttering the quotation, and of course everything on the Internet is true, right?
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline mabell_yah

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 02:59:37 PM »
As a native Californian, I'm kind of ashamed of the coffee/cancer thing. It's a little like the tornado alert/warning thing at the start of the program. You tune it out after awhile.

I rather expect the Food Babe to leave this issue alone. I would expect that a majority of her fans are coffee drinkers, and telling them to give it up wouldn't go over very well.

For your enjoyment: Joe Jackson sings Everything Gives You Cancer

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »
As a native Californian, this is on a long list of things that embarrass me about the state.

Offline wallet55

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • 3 feet under the Salmon River
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 09:53:53 PM »
OK when they played the viral audio, I heard Yanni - even though I always heard Laurel before.  I figured it was because I was listening to podcasts at 1.4 speed so I slowed it down and even at 0.3 speed I was still hearing Yanni.

So my conclusion is that it's not just the frequency, or else I would've noticed a difference at the speed.  Those other audio things must be masking the lower frequency out somehow rather than just increasing the frequency of the whole thing.

I too had never heard Yanni before, except when intentionally filtered. I assumed the ad hoc post tornado audio setup led to the tinny yanni coming out. Of course Dr. Novella could have played with the sound file just to mess with our heads...

This and the royal wedding have consumed way too much of our time.
Humankind cannot stand very much reality.   T. S. Eliot

Offline Isranner

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 12:52:55 AM »
As a native Californian, I'm kind of ashamed of the coffee/cancer thing. It's a little like the tornado alert/warning thing at the start of the program. You tune it out after awhile.
I rather expect the Food Babe to leave this issue alone. I would expect that a majority of her fans are coffee drinkers, and telling them to give it up wouldn't go over very well.

She could still recommend green (i.e., raw) coffee:

You won’t find it in raw green coffee beans. Rather, it’s formed while roasting. During that Maillard reaction and acrylamide formation which inevitably follows, you may be able to reduce how much there is by roasting more.
Source: https://www.superfoodly.com/acrylamide-coffee-cancer-risk

Whichever coffee we take, all of them contain acrylamide (except for green coffee which is not subject to thermal processing).
Source: https://www.coffeedesk.com/blog/acrylamide-in-coffee

A researcher who helped draft a 2014 European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) report on acrylamide said:

“It’s usually found at higher levels in light roasts because it forms during the first minutes of roasting and then degrades as the roasting process continues.”
Source: https://medium.com/@wclittle/the-link-between-acrylamide-coffee-and-cancer-heres-what-scientists-know-and-don-t-know-c6e600d675d1

Quote from: Mojska H, Gielecińska I. Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig (2013) vol. 64 (3) pp. 173-81
The first reports of acrylamide actually having been found in foodstuffs were published in 2002 by the Swedish National Food Agency in conjunction with scientists from the University of Stockholm. It has since been demonstrated that acrylamide arises in foodstuffs by the Maillard reaction, ie. between free asparagine and reducing sugars at temperatures >120 degrees C. Coffee in fact, forms one of the principal dietary sources of acrylamide, where it is normally drunk in large quantities throughout many countries worldwide that includes Poland. Thus, it constitutes a major dietary component in a wide range of population groups, mainly ranging from late adolescents to the elderly.
Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24325083

Quote from: WebMD
Green coffee beans are coffee beans that have not yet been roasted. These coffee beans contain a higher amount of the chemical chlorogenic acid. This chemical is thought to have health benefits. For high blood pressure it might affect blood vessels so that blood pressure is reduced.

For weight loss, chlorogenic acid in green coffee is thought to affect how the body handles blood sugar and metabolism.
Source: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1264/green-coffee

Quote from: Healthline
Negative side effects for green coffee extract are the same as regular coffee since the extract still contains caffeine. Common side effects of caffeine are:

• upset stomach
• increased heart rate
• frequent urination
• trouble sleeping
• restlessness
• anxiety
Source: https://www.healthline.com/health/green-coffee-bean-weight-loss
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:57:16 AM by Isranner »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 12:55:56 AM »
I humbly submit that there is already a thread for discussion of the Yanni/Laurel audio clip:

https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,50247.0.html
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 01:49:29 AM »

personate-rain
personate-rain