Author Topic: Episode #671  (Read 10040 times)

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Episode #671
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 10:18:54 AM »
Had this thought earlier, discussion on this ep made it relevant.

Do consanguineous relationships have any legal bar on same-sex marriages in those states that do?  Should they?

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 11:26:55 AM »
Had this thought earlier, discussion on this ep made it relevant.

Do consanguineous relationships have any legal bar on same-sex marriages in those states that do?  Should they?

Interesting question.  I conclude the law says yes - same sex first cousins can't get married in states that have same sex marriage but first cousin prohibitions.

As of February 2010, 30 U.S. states prohibit most or all marriage between first cousins
Amend and resubmit.

Offline martintolley

• Banned
  • Brand New
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 02:35:54 AM »
Your article is detailed, thanks to it I solved the problem I am entangled. I will regularly follow your writers and visit this site daily url=http://rollingskygame.com/run-3run 3

Moderator Comment Broke spam link

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:19:32 AM by Rai »

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 03:42:53 AM »
Laurel/Yanny thing feels very much less interesting than the blue/white dress thing.

I heard it on earbuds and it was Yanny.  I heard it through speakers and a deeper voice saying Laurel.  The voice saying Laurel is much deeper than the one saying Yanny.  I can hear both depending on how much bass is coming out of the speakers.

The blue/white dress thing really confused the hell out of me.  When I first saw it, it was clearly blue, every picture I looked at I never saw white/gold and couldn't comprehend how anyone could. 
Then months later I saw a thumbnail on a news article and saw a white/gold dress and I recognised the story, confused at the colours,  I clicked it and saw the blue/black dress.  I figured the thumbnail I clicked was photoshopped, so I hit back on my browser, and the thumbnail was blue/black.  The picture was the same, but my brain had switched it back to blue/black. 
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline fred.slota

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 08:25:30 AM »
I think they dropped the ball in one aspect when comparing and contrasting L/Y and the dress.  The dress picture was a single set of color information while the L/Y audio contains two sets of audio information.  With the dress, the two descriptions were alternate brain interpretations of the single set of color information, while with the L/Y audio, the two descriptions are focusing/emphasizing on one of the two sets of audio information.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »
The New York Times did a great article on this and there's an audio clip with a slider that makes this fairly clear what's happening.

I played this through my nice surround system and heard laurel the first time, before that on headphones and small speakers all I heard was Yanni.  I went back a couple hours later to play it on the same quality sound equipment for a friend who had never heard laurel, and when it started playing on the exact same setup that I heard Laurel, I heard Yanni... He heard Laurel.  I really think it's more of a brain thing than anything else.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/science/yanny-laurel.html
#non-belief denialist

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »
I hear "crappy recording".

Offline fred.slota

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »
We already have a thread started before this episode discussion Laurel/Yanni.

https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,50247.0.html

As I've mentioned there, I've unambiguously heard different words at different times from the exact same recording using the exact same laptop and headphones.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 12:23:53 AM »
Cara seemed pretty angry when talking about the octopus thing. 

The paper didn't seem to be arguing that life on Earth started in space, they were saying that some kind of retrovirus from space, or some eggs were introduced into our already established biome.  This could be like a foot-in-the-door for panspermia.  If we accept life has come to earth from space, by that point we might as well accept all life came from space.  Although abiogenesis would still be required somewhere in the universe at some point.  Since we don't exactly know how it happened, we can't really give more likely candidates for the location than Earth.

I don't think the best rebuke for this is to point out we've never found life in meteorites or comets.  The best rebuke would be to illustrate how octopus evolution actually occurred.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 12:02:16 PM »
Cara seemed pretty angry when talking about the octopus thing. 

The paper didn't seem to be arguing that life on Earth started in space, they were saying that some kind of retrovirus from space, or some eggs were introduced into our already established biome.  This could be like a foot-in-the-door for panspermia.  If we accept life has come to earth from space, by that point we might as well accept all life came from space.  Although abiogenesis would still be required somewhere in the universe at some point.  Since we don't exactly know how it happened, we can't really give more likely candidates for the location than Earth.

I don't think the best rebuke for this is to point out we've never found life in meteorites or comets.  The best rebuke would be to illustrate how octopus evolution actually occurred.

But the alien is in the gaps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline postwaste

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »
May and June are the storm months here in West Texas. We get green clouds a lot, it usually means it's going to hail. Anecdotal, I know.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 08:36:56 PM »
May and June are the storm months here in West Texas. We get green clouds a lot, it usually means it's going to hail. Anecdotal, I know.

So your observation is consistent with the idea that ice droplets not liquid water droplets in the clouds are one of the causes of the appearance of green clouds? 

I can’t say that I’ve ever observed green clouds.  Probably because I’m not observant enough.  Or that I can’t remember what the clouds looked like before hail happened.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2018, 10:58:20 PM »
I've never seen green clouds. Even when I'm looking at the same hailstorm that other people see green clouds in, I haven't seen green clouds.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 12:07:37 AM »
It can't be just due to ice.  Otherwise wouldn't clouds in colder climates would always be green?  I've heard it said that kicking up dust or evening red skies can make blue clouds turn green. 

If anyone has seen green clouds, was it in a sandy area?  Was it evening?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:16:24 AM by God Bomb »

Offline postwaste

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »

So your observation is consistent with the idea that ice droplets not liquid water droplets in the clouds are one of the causes of the appearance of green clouds? 

I can’t say that I’ve ever observed green clouds.  Probably because I’m not observant enough.  Or that I can’t remember what the clouds looked like before hail happened.

I think it is ice, but again, I'm not a pro. The green is usually very faint and is when the sun is low. That is also when most of our storms hit. So my experience is limited.