Author Topic: "If you enjoyed this podcast Please give us a 5 star review"  (Read 936 times)

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
Nearly every podcast I listen to these days will ask for a 5-star review to help them out.  Does anyone else find this a bit presumptuous?  A 3 star review is already above average.  So why this assumption that any level of enjoyment  deserves 5 stars?

I can understand the problem with ratings systems that rely on stars, most people will leave the minimum or maximum, so votes in the middle aren't worth much.  And this is probably the reason that youtube switch to a thumbs up thumbs down system.  But still, if I was running a podcast, I would just feel weird asking people for 5 star reviews, it triggers me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:35:50 AM by God Bomb »
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: "If you enjoyed this podcast Please give us a 5 star review"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:24:39 AM »
Maybe the 5 star system should be scrapped altogether, if the consensus is that it's either 5 or bad. Make it all up or down.

Or maybe people should only rate something if they didn't like it, and then podcasters can say "if you liked our show, please don't rate it".

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 10:10:36 AM »
The reason they want a 5 star review is that this controls how virtually all podcast directories 'rank' them.  A lot of 5 star reviews on iTunes, for example, will get you on the 'New and Notable' page which can raise a podcast's listenership by several orders of magnitude.

Basically a 5 star review helps the podcast grow while a 4 star or lower review doesn't.

This is all driven by the marketing concept of 'NPS' .  Basically NPS means 'Net Promoter Score' and it only measures the people who give you a 5 on a scale of 1 to 5.  On a scale of 10,  NPS is people who give you a 9 or a 10.

NPS is everything today in the corporate world.

#non-belief denialist

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 01:57:32 AM »
There are two possible options - 5 stars, and everything else. If you don't get five stars, then you have failed.

It sounds harsh, but it really is how it works. The other four stars are almost completely irrelevant. You'd think that they represented a graduated scale of satisfaction but no, that's not how it works. You get five stars or you fail to achieve five stars, and questions start to be asked about why you failed to achieve 5 stars, and how you can achieve 5 stars next time.

This comes from experience - a time when my own performance was subject to a 5-star rating.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 08:19:35 AM »
If I was hosting a podcast, I would feel the need to explain all the above before asking people for 5-star reviews

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 09:38:54 AM »
If I was hosting a podcast, I would feel the need to explain all the above before asking people for 5-star reviews

Many of them do.  They just don't do it every single show.
#non-belief denialist

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »

Many of them do.  They just don't do it every single show.

none of the ones I listen to do.

personate-rain