Author Topic: SGU book cancelled!?  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Physicity

• Off to a Start
SGU book cancelled!?
« on: May 25, 2018, 07:52:02 AM »
Hi folks
I just got an email from Amazon UK telling me my preorder of the SGU book has been cancelled by the publisher!  Anyone know why???

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: SGU book cancelled!?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 08:13:51 AM »
I'm in the US, I have received no such notice and looking on Amazon it looks like my pre-order still stands.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline MrSpiggott

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 08:44:13 AM »
Hi folks
I just got an email from Amazon UK telling me my preorder of the SGU book has been cancelled by the publisher!  Anyone know why???

I'm also from the UK and have received the same cancellation email from Amazon.
Edit. Forgot to mention it's the Kindle edition that I preordered.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:46:25 AM by MrSpiggott »

Offline MessyAndy

• Off to a Start
    • The online physics tutor
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 08:45:09 AM »
Same here, mine was also cancelled. Bit of a mystery.

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »
In the US, current Amazon listing shows ability to pre-order Kindle and Hardcover.

Offline Dave The Drummer

• Seasoned Contributor
  • The Antithesis
    • Dave The Drummer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »
Same here.
UK Kindle order. Cancelled.
 :(

Reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
In Norway; the paperback* is available, but for ebook it says "This title is not currently available for purchase".

Could this have anything to do with the GDPR, the EU privacy law that's in effect from today? Depending on what Amazon uses ebook data for.

Edit: I just meant to say physical book, not what type of physical book.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:55:00 PM by 2397 »

Offline Physicity

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 03:05:30 PM »
I've just been able to preorder the hardback, couldn't do that earlier.  Shame they've pulled the Kindle version, ebooks are so much more convenient than hardbacks.  I hope this doesn't hurt the sales too much.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 02:21:34 PM »
My copy of the hardcover is still preordered in Canada.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Physicity

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 08:32:14 AM »
They mentioned this on the podcast, apparently it's due to the publisher in the EU changing from the American to the UK one.  They need to correct (ahem) spellings and change the cover.  But... Firstly, I think everyone in the EU can read and understand virtually all the differences between American English and British English, and the cover art is fine for the UK, so what's the point?  Secondly, I can order the UK hardback, so why can't I order the UK Kindle version?

Oh well.  It sounds like either the uk prerelease was a bit premature, or maybe the pre-ordered have been successful enough to warrant a UK/EU version.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 03:24:49 PM »
From one of the large online book retailers here, there are two versions of this book, but for different prices, 247 SEK and 196 SEK respectively. However, both of them are the non-kindle version. The two different(?) versions have different publishers, one of them is published by
Grand Central Publishing, the other by Hodder Stoughton Ltd. Does anyone know what's up with all of this?

It's the original English-language version, i.e no translation (I don't think any translation is planned at this point). If you click on it, it will show the same English description as on Amazon. It's not possible to pre-order, but it's possible to put it (or them) on a watchlist.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Physicity

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 06:48:41 AM »
I emailed the publisher, they said the Kindle UK version should be available to preorder from 11th June.  Phew!

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 12:28:45 AM »
From memory they discussed the cancellation issue in the last episode.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 08:09:40 PM »
They mentioned this on the podcast, apparently it's due to the publisher in the EU changing from the American to the UK one.  They need to correct (ahem) spellings and change the cover.  But... Firstly, I think everyone in the EU can read and understand virtually all the differences between American English and British English, and the cover art is fine for the UK, so what's the point?  Secondly, I can order the UK hardback, so why can't I order the UK Kindle version?

Oh well.  It sounds like either the uk prerelease was a bit premature, or maybe the pre-ordered have been successful enough to warrant a UK/EU version.

It does seem ridiculous to have different publishers for a book in the same language. Especially for ebooks, and not letting people choose to buy the versions that are available, just because of which segment of the global network they're connected to.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 08:12:25 PM »

It does seem ridiculous to have different publishers for a book in the same language. Especially for ebooks, and not letting people choose to buy the versions that are available, just because of which segment of the global network they're connected to.
Yeah, well, that's what you get when you have a world that's divided up into countries.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

personate-rain