Author Topic: Episode #672  (Read 5705 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #672
« on: May 26, 2018, 12:14:53 PM »
Interview with Jennifer Ouellette
What's the Word: Sapient vs Sentient
News Items: Cancer Quackery Death, EM Drive Follow Up, Loch Ness DNA, Largest Salamanders
Who's That Noisy
Your Questions and E-mails: Panspermia
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Jerry the J

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #672
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 11:28:44 PM »
on that Loch Ness reseach, what I'm wondering - who is funding this research??  who's paying the bill?
~~~ The coins in the jar are for charity~~~
~~~ The Coins in the tray are for sharing ~~~

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 02:21:43 AM »
Tim Flannery saw a fur hat at a market in New Guinea that led him to discover a new tree kangaroo. 

Flannery is amazing.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 03:43:00 AM »
The Tasmanian Tiger wasn't a "tiger-like" marsupial  ??? It was a dog-like marsupial.

It only got the tiger name because of the stripes on it's back.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »
Otago is pronounced with with a 'short' a, like ah, btw.  Vowels in Maori all have one sound each. Kind of grated to my tender ears.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Birkett83

• Brand New
What's the word: analogue
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 04:14:43 AM »
At the end of the podcast, Evan introduces his new boardgame podcast saying 'we play lesser-known, sometimes obscure, tabletop games. These are not video games, these are not computer games, these are old-fashioned analogue games'. He's right that they're not video games or computer games...

The dichotomy between analogue and digital comes from the fields of electronics and signal processing, where signals can either be continuously varying (analogue) or take a finite number of discrete values (digital). We broaden the term digital to include anything done on a computer, which is reasonable enough, but it doesn't follow that anything not on a computer is therefore analogue. Some games have genuinely analogue features; a good example would be snooker or pool where the position of the balls really do vary continuously, and a few tabletop games including Pitch Car and Warhammer 40k share this property, but most do not. Most tabletop games admit a discrete ranges of possible states, which may include information represented as numeric digits such as scores, or include other discrete valued representations of information, such as the location of a piece on a chess board.

You could argue either way whether Chess, Settlers of Catan or Power Grid should be considered digital, but they are certainly not analogue.

Offline fly44d

• Off to a Start
  • Tom Hail
    • A Place for Tom to Rant
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 05:04:22 PM »
I'm sitting in traffic rubbing my new pain. My right knee feels like it is coming apart.
Who's That Noisy comes up and Jay plays last week's sound. 
I go "ha! sounds like my knee!"

Offline Marasmusine

• Off to a Start
Re: What's the word: analogue
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 05:31:01 AM »
At the end of the podcast, Evan introduces his new boardgame podcast saying 'we play lesser-known, sometimes obscure, tabletop games. These are not video games, these are not computer games, these are old-fashioned analogue games'. He's right that they're not video games or computer games...

The dichotomy between analogue and digital comes from the fields of electronics and signal processing, where signals can either be continuously varying (analogue) or take a finite number of discrete values (digital). We broaden the term digital to include anything done on a computer, which is reasonable enough, but it doesn't follow that anything not on a computer is therefore analogue. Some games have genuinely analogue features; a good example would be snooker or pool where the position of the balls really do vary continuously, and a few tabletop games including Pitch Car and Warhammer 40k share this property, but most do not. Most tabletop games admit a discrete ranges of possible states, which may include information represented as numeric digits such as scores, or include other discrete valued representations of information, such as the location of a piece on a chess board.

You could argue either way whether Chess, Settlers of Catan or Power Grid should be considered digital, but they are certainly not analogue.

I took the intention of the statement to mean that the game physically occupies analogue space rather than digital space.

Offline Marasmusine

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 05:32:20 AM »
Does anyone have a link to Evan's game podcast? Thought it would be in the show notes. I tried a web search but only found an interview with him on a martial arts podcast (which admittedly was quite interesting).

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 06:14:13 AM »
Does anyone have a link to Evan's game podcast? Thought it would be in the show notes. I tried a web search but only found an interview with him on a martial arts podcast (which admittedly was quite interesting).

https://whichgamefirst.com/

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 01:03:19 PM »
Otago is pronounced with with a 'short' a, like ah, btw.  Vowels in Maori all have one sound each. Kind of grated to my tender ears.

didn't even notice this. where'd they talk kiwi stuff?
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Marasmusine

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 02:04:41 PM »

[/quote]

https://whichgamefirst.com/
[/quote]

Thank-you!

personate-rain