Author Topic: Discord server???  (Read 6552 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Discord server???
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 08:39:34 PM »
When you sign up to be a patron of the SGU, the welcome screen contains the link to the discord. I don't know how to get to it again after signup. It's also on the welcome email - check your spam filter if you didn't receive that. Otherwise you might need to email them to request the link again.

I'm on the discord now. I finally transferred my membership across.
Self-described nerd

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »
When you sign up to be a patron of the SGU, the welcome screen contains the link to the discord. I don't know how to get to it again after signup. It's also on the welcome email - check your spam filter if you didn't receive that. Otherwise you might need to email them to request the link again.

I'm on the discord now. I finally transferred my membership across.

I can get on Discord just fine. I've set up an account and it recognizes me. I just don't have a key to connect to the SGU. And if I had the key, I don't know what to do with it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 08:18:29 PM »
I can get on Discord just fine. I've set up an account and it recognizes me. I just don't have a key to connect to the SGU. And if I had the key, I don't know what to do with it.
Yes, I know. What I just said was that when you sign up on Patreon, the welcome screen you get after confirming your signup has a link to the discord. And what you do with it is click it.
Self-described nerd

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 09:20:45 AM »
Yes, I know. What I just said was that when you sign up on Patreon, the welcome screen you get after confirming your signup has a link to the discord. And what you do with it is click it.

Which I did. Which got me to Discord. But not to the SGU's group on Discord.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 02:55:31 PM »
Got an email from Jay in reply to mine asking how to get to them on Discord. So I went back to Discord intending to send him a screen shot asking what to do with that. And lo and behold, now Discord shows me a little SGU icon, and clicking on it gets me to them.

Basically it looks like a very primitive and difficult-to-navigate chat board.

It's much easier to have discussions here. With the advantage that here anybody can participate. There does seem to be a channel there for those Patron-only feeds they're promising once a month.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 06:23:36 PM »
Okay, so I've been browsing around the Discord thing. There are several broad categories, like General, WTN, Membership issues, Science Topics; and within each is just a flow of comments in chronological order, with no logical order. I've participated on a number of chat boards, and within each general heading there are threads, any while there's often thread drift, more or less each thread is a coherent discussion on a topic, with posters quoting the post they're replying to. People go off on tangents or off-topic, but you can follow the discussion.

The Discord is just an incoherent stream of short comments, impossible to follow for any sort of actual discussion. "Discord" is a good name for it because it's totally discordant. I suppose it might attract people with attention spans in the region of a few seconds to a minute. But it looks as though an in-depth discussion would be impossible. Which also means that any actual substance will be non-existent.

Can anybody offer any actual utility to this sort of construct? The SGU can put up content that will not be available to non-patrons, but they could do that with any pay-walled web site.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 06:43:42 PM »
Utility? You can have conversations with people.

I don't know if you've ever used an IRC chat, but it's essentially the same kind of thing. Discord is more sophisticated than IRC in some ways, and easier to learn how to use. Also, there's the option for voice chat. If you're into that sort of thing. It's great for playing multiplayer team games.

If it doesn't suit your preferences, that's okay. But it does suit millions of people. It's not a forum and it's not trying to be a forum, so don't expect it to do the things that a forum does.
Self-described nerd

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 08:52:37 PM »

I don't know if you've ever used an IRC chat, but it's essentially the same kind of thing. Discord is more sophisticated than IRC in some ways, and easier to learn how to use. Also, there's the option for voice chat. If you're into that sort of thing. It's great for playing multiplayer team games.

If it doesn't suit your preferences, that's okay. But it does suit millions of people. It's not a forum and it's not trying to be a forum, so don't expect it to do the things that a forum does.

Damn you.....

Forum-Man, Forum-Man, does whatever a forum can...

Get it out of my head!

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 04:00:05 AM »

Damn you.....

Get it out of my head!
Forum-man, Forum-man
Forum-man hates Discord-man.
They have a fight, Forum wins.
Forum-man.
Self-described nerd

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 07:35:05 AM »

Damn you.....

Get it out of my head!
Forum-man, Forum-man
Forum-man.
You're not helping.  I had managed to sleep it off, but kinda like the game (you just lost), your post brought it back, and rather than one earwig replacing the other, I now have the two of them tag-teaming in my head.

Let me try something.

NA na na na na na na na NA na na na na na na na - Forum-Man!

Ahhhhh, that's better.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 09:28:54 AM »

Damn you.....

Get it out of my head!
Forum-man, Forum-man
Forum-man.

I don't hate Discord folks in the least. I just find that Discord is not a means of communication that appeals to me. Now that I finally understand what it is (a fancy version of IRC: a booth at a bar without the beer, a place to exchange quick real-time comments if you can type fast enough, but not a place for any in-depth discussion) it's just not for me.

Maybe I'll watch the next live feed there, if I happen to be at home and not traveling. Except that watching talking heads will probably bore me so much I'll shut it off after five minutes.

Oh, and it's a bit disconcerting to see what they actually look like after so many years of picturing them in my mind.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 08:37:44 PM »
I don't hate Discord folks in the least. I just find that Discord is not a means of communication that appeals to me. Now that I finally understand what it is (a fancy version of IRC: a booth at a bar without the beer, a place to exchange quick real-time comments if you can type fast enough, but not a place for any in-depth discussion) it's just not for me.
Totally fair enough. For me, I'm accustomed to both methods of communication.

Maybe I'll watch the next live feed there, if I happen to be at home and not traveling. Except that watching talking heads will probably bore me so much I'll shut it off after five minutes.
Yeah, I get bored by talking heads too. Also I generally don't watch things on my computer because it's not set up for extended periods of watching stuff. I'd rather put something on my PS4 and sit in my comfy chair than at my desk with my small monitor.

Oh, and it's a bit disconcerting to see what they actually look like after so many years of picturing them in my mind.
I KNOW RIGHT? I still haven't seen any photos of the McElroys, so I have no idea if my mental images of them are in any way accurate.
Self-described nerd

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 09:20:50 PM »
Why would you post such a comment?

Justin, left; Griffin, center; Travis, right.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 09:25:59 PM »
Oh great. Now you've spoiled my carefully-crafted mental image. Thanks a lot.
Self-described nerd

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 10:33:32 PM »
I agree, I am a monster.

personate-rain