Author Topic: Discord server???  (Read 8658 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Discord server???
« on: June 03, 2018, 03:00:14 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it seems like a tech question.

I've been a "member" (contributor) to the SGU for a long time. They're now saying they'd prefer people support through Patreon. So I switched. I managed to get the URL for the podcast feed into my podcast app and I'm now getting the feed that way. No problems there. I managed to log into Patreon. No problems there. I even managed to open the Discord Server web page and log on there.

But I absolutely cannot figure out what to do with the Discord page. Supposedly the thank-you/welcome email has some sort of key, but I cannot find it. (Just the URL for the podcast feed.) Is there supposed to be a web page for the live Q&A feed? I have received no email with instructions. In fact, I received several emails from Patreon acknowledging my donation to the SGU (one of them had the podcast URL) but nothing from the SGU.

Can anybody explain to an idiot how I'm supposed to make any sort of use of their vaunted Discord server or get the promised life Q&A feed?

P.S. They say it's "better" if I download the app. I do not want to download an app that's probably got security holes like a Swiss cheese when I can see no reason the same functionality should not be available through my browser. (Maybe it's got security holes too, but I already have the browser anyway. Why should I have to download an app also??? Or is this whole thing only available to people who are happy to load their computers with bloatware?)
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Discord server???
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:03:56 AM »
Discord is an app, not a website. If you're going to use it, you're going to use the app. If you don't want to use the app, you don't get to use Discord.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »
Discord is an app, not a website. If you're going to use it, you're going to use the app. If you don't want to use the app, you don't get to use Discord.

Then what am I seeing when I go to discordapp.com? It has "app" in the name but is a web page. And I cannot figure out what to do once I'm there. I am logged in, but no clue how to find the SGU. (And the SGU has not replied to my email.) I don't do chat boards from my tablet because it's much easier on the desktop computer with a proper keyboard.

I think I'll send another email to the SGU. Maybe they've just been too busy fixing up after the mini-flood and then the tornado.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 10:24:15 AM »
Yeah bud, Discord is one of those "normal" apps that millions of people use every day.  If you're using Discord, the app has security risks at a similar order of magnitude as a browser - in either case, Discord is the entity that receives your username/password/email and stores it, and that's the weak link - either you trust Discord with that much of your data, or you don't.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 11:43:38 AM »
Still confused here. What's the discord web page for if you need to use an app? Normally I think of apps as programs for a phone or tablet. I don't do chat boards on my phone or tablet. I do them on the desktop computer. The Discord web page has "app" in its URL. discordapp.com. But it gives me no hint what I'm supposed to do with it. And the SGU has sent me no indication on how to connect to them either from that web page or if I did put the app on my tablet.

And why the fuck couldn't they have just started a patrons-only chat board? If I ever did figure out how to use Discord is it just some kind of Facebook knockoff? I've never figured out what to do with Facebook, but in that case it doesn't matter because I think Facebook is creepy and dishonest so I have no interest in it.

Maybe someone could tell me what Discord is, because I have not even figured that out yet. (The "help" button on the Discord web page is no help at all.)
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »
Discord is a service that provides channels for discussion (kinda like a forum) and can link to voice servers for people to do group voice chats (kinda like Skype)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
I don't know everything about Discord...  One function for Discord is live voice chat, so it is often used by multiplayer video gamers to run in the background and chat while they play.  Another function is multi-channel, archived text chat with multimedia support for things like images and audio files.

Of note is that the voice channels use the "call" setting one your phone and not the "media" setting.  Like Skype or WhatsApp.

I use it for two contexts.

The first is an online course I do.  The course uses Twitch for its "live" video, but Twitch has a lag of about 15-30 seconds.  Therefore, the course is simul-voiced through Discord voice chat (everyone but the professor is muted), and we use one of the text chat channels for questions and comments (this avoids lag and allows real-time interaction with the course).  There is also another chat channel, unmonitored by the professor, for discussion among the students not intended for the immediate attention of the professor.

The second is for a local group to organize to play Pokemon Go in my (new) city.  There are archived information-only channels where only mods can post.  There are general chats for various topics.  There are neighbourhood-specific raid organizing chats, and city-wide legendary raid alert channels. 

The Pokemon Go one was my second Discord use, and I was surprised at how differently it was set up - it seems like it is highly customizable.

I mainly use it on my phone, but I also have used it on my laptop.  But it has been a while since I used it on my laptop and I don't exactly remember how it is set up.  I believe it is still under the auspices of the web browser, but it set up a shortcut on my home screen that went straight into Discord when launched.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »
Thanks for the above. So the next question is, as a patron who is supposed to have access to the SGU Discord stuff, how do I find the key they're supposed to have sent me?
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 01:40:32 PM »
Once you get up and running, I would be very interested in how you find the experience from a social aspect!

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
Yes, I would also like to hear about this. I have just been waiting for such a long time for a place, just anywhere, online, to exchange ideas with other listeners. It is just so strange and deplorable that such a place doesn't already exist…

(As far as I know, you need an invitation to join a channel. I would guess you would have received it from the SGU when you subscribed, or something. All you need to do is click the link in your browser.)
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 04:48:43 PM »
Once you get up and running, I would be very interested in how you find the experience from a social aspect!

Assuming I ever do.

Yes, I would also like to hear about this. I have just been waiting for such a long time for a place, just anywhere, online, to exchange ideas with other listeners. It is just so strange and deplorable that such a place doesn't already exist…

(As far as I know, you need an invitation to join a channel. I would guess you would have received it from the SGU when you subscribed, or something. All you need to do is click the link in your browser.)

Nope. No invitation from the SGU. Just the acknowledgement from Patreon with the URL for the podcast. (Since I switched from the old membership via PayPal to the new one via Patreon, my old link will probably stop working.) The new URL works fine. But no Discord invitation.

I am very happy chatting here on the sguforums chat board. But they promised more special feeds not available on the premium channel, only on Discord. So far, for me, Discord is a big fat nothing. I'll send them another email. In the past they have responded, so I'm going to say they're just really busy now with all the disaster clean-up.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 01:32:39 AM »
Then what am I seeing when I go to discordapp.com? It has "app" in the name but is a web page. And I cannot figure out what to do once I'm there. I am logged in, but no clue how to find the SGU. (And the SGU has not replied to my email.) I don't do chat boards from my tablet because it's much easier on the desktop computer with a proper keyboard.
If you don't want to download and install the app, then you click on the button that says "Open discord in your browser". You will, of course, need to register for a Discord account by providing a valid email address if you haven't already. Just like a million other services that are available over the internet.

But seriously. Download and install the app. It's not going to destroy your computer or steal your identity. Millions of people use it every day.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »
If you don't want to download and install the app, then you click on the button that says "Open discord in your browser". You will, of course, need to register for a Discord account by providing a valid email address if you haven't already. Just like a million other services that are available over the internet.

But seriously. Download and install the app. It's not going to destroy your computer or steal your identity. Millions of people use it every day.

I have opened Discord in my browser. I have set up an account. I just cannot figure out what to do with it now that I have an account and the thing open. And I cannot figure out how to connect with the SGU in it. (Though I did find some videos on the SGU Patreon page.)

I'll take your word for it that the Discord app is safe. But I don't do chat boards on my phone or tablet. I do them at the desktop computer where I have a proper keyboard and a bigger screen.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »
So the various servers you are a member of are on the far left.  Once you are in on a Discord server, there are various channels in the next section, discussion threads and voice channels are listed.  Clicking on one should show you th discussion ion that channel.

If you don't see any channels, there might be a permissions issue

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »
So the various servers you are a member of are on the far left.  Once you are in on a Discord server, there are various channels in the next section, discussion threads and voice channels are listed.  Clicking on one should show you th discussion ion that channel.

If you don't see any channels, there might be a permissions issue

Yes, there's a permissions issue because the SGU never sent me a link or key to join them. And if they did send me a key, it's not at all clear what I'm supposed to do with it.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg