Author Topic: Reduce your meat consumption!  (Read 14327 times)

Online 2397

• Well Established
Re: Reduce your meat consumption!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »
As a type of genocide it might be effective in reducing emissions, but presumably an omnivore isn't going to be as efficient as an herbivore at turning plants into calories for others to consume.

Edit: Of course, pigs are omnivores. So it might work. Send it to the "what if we killed all the poor?"-team.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:43:31 PM by 2397 »

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
USDA PRION FREE

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 02:57:48 PM »
The fact that humans produce few GHGs "directly" is meaningless. Our economic activity (industry, transportation, agriculture, etc.,) is what's producing the crap that is threatening to make the Earth much less friendly to ourselves. Reducing our own population would be the best thing we could do for the survival of our species. The inevitable Malthusian disaster has been temporarily postponed by the green revolution, but mathematics tells us we cannot go on increasing our population exponentially forever, and I'm skeptical of predictions that the population will level off without a disaster of epic proportions.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »
I like the idea of being able to go without meat, but since I cant drink milk, I would be relying on soy milk and eggs for my protein.
My current needs for strength training would require me to drink 3 litres of soy milk per day.

Selfish. But here we are.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 03:56:02 PM »
Stop smoking!

People know smoking is bad. Many people stop if presented with the data, evidence, and scary pictures. Other's can't help it. Some need the price of cigarettes to go up a lot for them to find the willpower to stop.

I know reducing meat consumption is about the best thing you can do. It's healthier. It's better for the planet. But, like the smoker, when I can buy a bag of cheese burgers of pocket change, it's really hard to stop eating gobs of meat.

If we all collectively built the full price of meat into the actual price (taking into account health problems, the environment), I know I would respond radically to higher priced meat. I would stop eating it as much. I don't know, however, if we'll ever elect leaders who can win on a campaign to triple the price of beef.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 04:01:01 PM »
I do think there will be a point in my life where meat will be too expensive for the average worker to afford more than a couple of times a year.

If it doesnt happen then I think the world may be in some trouble.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • http://gmalivuk.livejournal.com
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 04:25:53 PM »
The fact that humans produce few GHGs "directly" is meaningless. Our economic activity (industry, transportation, agriculture, etc.,) is what's producing the crap that is threatening to make the Earth much less friendly to ourselves. Reducing our own population would be the best thing we could do for the survival of our species. The inevitable Malthusian disaster has been temporarily postponed by the green revolution, but mathematics tells us we cannot go on increasing our population exponentially forever, and I'm skeptical of predictions that the population will level off without a disaster of epic proportions.
My point is that it's not the number of humans so much as the activities of each one. Counting kids as a kind of GHG from their parents assumes none of those activities will change.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 04:41:46 PM »
My point is that it's not the number of humans so much as the activities of each one. Counting kids as a kind of GHG from their parents assumes none of those activities will change.

But unless we're assuming that fertility rates are immutable, we should talk about how how many children we have affects the environment, as well. When someone's claiming that one thing is (to be fair, the researcher said probably) the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth, I think that reproduction is a pretty big contender to leave out.

The fact that a Westerner causes a lot more emissions than someone in a developing country, means it's more significant (for a Westerner vs. someone in a less consumerist country) to make the choice to have one more child. While there are other benefits from reducing fertility rates in countries where starvation is an issue.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 04:45:43 PM by 2397 »

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 05:10:44 PM »
I like the idea of being able to go without meat, but since I cant drink milk, I would be relying on soy milk and eggs for my protein.
My current needs for strength training would require me to drink 3 litres of soy milk per day.

Beans. Lots of protein and they taste great. Compliment them with whole grains to complete the protein. Nuts have a lot of protein also.  The problem with milk or soy milk as a protein source is that they're mostly water.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 06:19:33 PM »

Beans. Lots of protein and they taste great. Compliment them with whole grains to complete the protein. Nuts have a lot of protein also.  The problem with milk or soy milk as a protein source is that they're mostly water.
Most beans dont have all that much protein per gram (about 4.5g/100g)
Nuts are pretty good. I eat all the nuts I can stomach at the moment.
Soy milk is close to 30g/1000ml (so really about 2.5l per day would do me.)

Chicken is about 20g/100g.

There are vegetarian and vegan bodybuilders etc who look and perform WAAAY better than I ever will, but Im poor and trying to stay under a calorie count and dont want to drink disgusting soy and hemp protein shakes or fart all the time.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 06:22:40 PM »

And you back to the problem of green house gases.  ;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 08:05:51 PM »

I doubt it.  What do you think your daily protein needs are?
Nur dass ich nicht nur Katzen gemacht habe.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • http://gmalivuk.livejournal.com
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 08:11:24 PM »
That's maybe believable if it's literally your sole source of protein, but why on earth would it be?
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 09:27:34 PM »
We're omnivores.
There's absolutely no reason why humans cannot survive on plant foods alone. We may be omnivores, but we're not obligate omnivores. We don't require meat protein in order to survive.
Self-described nerd

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 10:36:26 PM »
We're omnivores.
There's absolutely no reason why humans cannot survive on plant foods alone. We may be omnivores, but we're not obligate omnivores. We don't require meat protein in order to survive.
I was going to say exactly the same thing.

personate-rain
personate-rain