Author Topic: Gmail says my account is open on another location, but that location is my IP  (Read 335 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
My computer got a BSD, and so when the computer started again, Chrome offered to restore the previous session. I accepted, but eventually closed donw all tabs and signed out of Gmail, closed Chrome and restarted it, as it was a bit slow. When I have restarted Chrome and signed into Gmail again, it warns that my account is open on another location as well. However, that other location has the same IP as my computer, and when looking at the recent IP history, there is no other IP address listed.

I only use one device to access my Gmail, and I have two-step verification, so it shouldn't be possible to access without having my phone.

Is this just a fluke of Gmail, or something serious? Should I worry?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
When your computer went down, the Gmail server was left with an open session. Normally your browser would signal the server to close the session, but since didn't go down cleanly, that didn't happen. The server is keeping the session alive just in case you do reconnect. When you started up the computer again, the server started a new session for you. Eventually the old session will time out, and you'll won't see the other location.

Nothing to worry about, just one of many flukes when processes don't end cleanly.
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Hmm ok. But Gmail gave that warning after I had signed out from the crashed (and then restored) session and then signed in again.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
That "recovery session", was not actually the same session from a back-end perspective. It was the same URL, etc, but it was completely different set of browser variables, etc.

ETA: If you are really concerned about it, I'm pretty sure there's a way to force kill the other session.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:28:29 PM by st3class »
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Ah, ok thank you for the explanation. :)

I assume that it is only my IP in the log is also a re-assuring thing. :)

personate-rain