Author Topic: What podcasting tropes do you want to die?  (Read 7863 times)

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
What podcasting tropes do you want to die?
« on: June 17, 2018, 11:05:32 PM »
It occurs to me that podcasting has finally been around long enough and is wide-spread enough that certain tropes may have started to piss listeners off individually, but maybe haven't quite yet become something that we discuss with each other.  I think it'd be fun to start talking about the little things that bug us.  If we really want to get crazy, we can style this in the likeness of tvtropes.org and coin names for them too.

To start off with, I'll submit "Cut in, Fade out":
The tendency in narrative podcasts to have the host ask an interviewee a question, only to fade out their answer within a few seconds to either sum it up or, even more infuriatingly, not sum up their answer and move on to another topic.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: What podcasting tropes do you want to die?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:31:42 PM »
One thing that infuriates me is when a host reads out an introduction or closeout in every episode, but they do so with the exact same inflection every time. They're clearly reading it anew every time (because they occasionally stuff it up) but with the same tone, pitch and timing. It was one of the major reasons I stopped listening to Cognitive Dissonance. It got to the point where I would just completely skip the intro since it wasn't adding any value of any kind to the show.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 11:37:48 PM »
Keep the intro short and sweet and not too clever. The This Won't Hurt a Bit podcast intro was cute only once.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »
It isn't podcasting specific, but that Radiolab back-and-forth with different people starting and finishing each other's sentences is so irritating to me, I can hardly stand the show. And I generally enjoy the material.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 01:05:51 PM »
Trying to pass of advertisement as lighthearted banter make me want to set fire to things.

No-one believes that there is anyone who could give two shits about Casper mattresses. Stop the bad acting, please.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 01:35:48 PM »
"Shat on your mattress? No problem, just return it"

"Incidentally, they also donate mattresses to the needy"

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
Food. I listen to pod casts on headphones. If a podcaster is tasting food, they often make exaggerated lip smacking and chewing sounds. The the last thing I wanna hear over headphones.

That and the farting, puking and burping sound effects some podcasters think are so funny.

Too much of those and I stop listening altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
Keep the intro short and sweet and not too clever. The This Won't Hurt a Bit podcast intro was cute only once.

I wish some podcasts I like would learn from TV, and after the second season cut the intros down to nearly nothing. e.g. I love Sawbones, but if I never have to hear that g-d theme song again I'll be fine. I've managed to figure out the right amount of fast-forward twitch to mostly skip it.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 12:04:44 PM »
Another pet peeve, when podcasters use a phony radio voice as if they’re trying to sound like a top-40 AM DJ. If they can pull it off it’s grating when they can’t it’s even worse, and most can’t.

Just use your own, natural voice.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »
Another pet peeve, when podcasters use a phony radio voice as if they’re trying to sound like a top-40 AM DJ. If they can pull it off it’s grating when they can’t it’s even worse, and most can’t.

A related issue is the difference between written language and spoken language. You can usually tell when a person is reading from a script, because they haven't written it to be spoken. People are more accustomed to writing to be read, than writing to be spoken. There are quite a few differences. Reading from a script that wasn't written for speaking sounds quite stilted.

One person who does get this right is Mike Hall from Skeptics With a K. He has mentioned a couple of times that he scripts his segments, but that he writes as he speaks, and it doesn't sound as though he's reading from a script.

In SGU, you can usually tell when one of the rogues is speaking off the cuff and when they're reading from something.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 01:18:04 AM »
One thing that infuriates me is when a host reads out an introduction or closeout in every episode, but they do so with the exact same inflection every time. They're clearly reading it anew every time (because they occasionally stuff it up) but with the same tone, pitch and timing. It was one of the major reasons I stopped listening to Cognitive Dissonance. It got to the point where I would just completely skip the intro since it wasn't adding any value of any kind to the show.

On the other hand, I listen to one podcast where the host reads the damned show notes word-for-word as an introduction at the start of each episode.

I also hate show notes that don't summarize the topics in the first couple of lines so that I can tell what it's about from the playlist.  Worst are podcasts that always start their show notes the same way so that it's impossible to differentiate between them.  The Skeptic Zone may be the worst offender; what I see in my feed for nearly every single episode is:

00:00:00
Introduction
Richard Saunders

I'd be much more likely to listen to the show if it instead said:

Interview: Catherine Hughs of Light for Riley on vaccine promotion; News: Court cracks down on unsubstatiated cancer cure claims; Interview: Kyle Polish of The Data Skeptic Podcast.

By all means give us timestamps and details of the segments, but not in the first three lines of the description.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 11:49:53 AM »

A related issue is the difference between written language and spoken language. You can usually tell when a person is reading from a script, because they haven't written it to be spoken. People are more accustomed to writing to be read, than writing to be spoken. There are quite a few differences. Reading from a script that wasn't written for speaking sounds quite stilted.

One person who does get this right is Mike Hall from Skeptics With a K. He has mentioned a couple of times that he scripts his segments, but that he writes as he speaks, and it doesn't sound as though he's reading from a script.

In SGU, you can usually tell when one of the rogues is speaking off the cuff and when they're reading from something.
I think Dunning reads directly from a script entirely.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 12:05:21 PM »

But that might be necessary for the format, keeping it as short as possible.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 09:02:28 PM »

Yes, and he's one of the ones that does it quite well.

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 10:50:07 PM »
I think I'm about ready for the excessive sound effects that some shows add to their narrative style podcasts.  It's not always annoying, but some do it waaaaaaay too much.  Radiolab often is an offender.

"So I decided *lightbulb sound* to walk *footsteps* down to the metro *train sounds* and take a trip to the nation's capital *Hail to the Chief plays*."  Gahh!!!  just friggin tell your story!!!

personate-rain