Author Topic: What podcasting tropes do you want to die?  (Read 7865 times)

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
Re: What podcasting tropes do you want to die?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 10:56:53 PM »
I think I'm about ready for the excessive sound effects that some shows add to their narrative style podcasts.  It's not always annoying, but some do it waaaaaaay too much.  Radiolab often is an offender.

"So I decided *lightbulb sound* to walk *footsteps* down to the metro *train sounds* and take a trip to the nation's capital *Hail to the Chief plays*."  Gahh!!!  just friggin tell your story!!!
Stole my words. I hate Foley in non-fiction.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
One thing that infuriates me is when a host reads out an introduction or closeout in every episode, but they do so with the exact same inflection every time. They're clearly reading it anew every time (because they occasionally stuff it up) but with the same tone, pitch and timing. It was one of the major reasons I stopped listening to Cognitive Dissonance. It got to the point where I would just completely skip the intro since it wasn't adding any value of any kind to the show.
I use an app that lets me skip the first few seconds or minutes. 

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 06:53:18 PM »
One thing that infuriates me is when a host reads out an introduction or closeout in every episode, but they do so with the exact same inflection every time. They're clearly reading it anew every time (because they occasionally stuff it up) but with the same tone, pitch and timing. It was one of the major reasons I stopped listening to Cognitive Dissonance. It got to the point where I would just completely skip the intro since it wasn't adding any value of any kind to the show.
I use an app that lets me skip the first few seconds or minutes.
So do I. I skip ads too. It wasn't the only reason I stopped listening to Cognitive Dissonance.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 09:43:17 AM »
It isn't podcasting specific, but that Radiolab back-and-forth with different people starting and finishing each other's sentences is so irritating to me, I can hardly stand the show. And I generally enjoy the material.

Agreed! The gimmicky production on that show is super irritating, I can barely stand to listen even when the content is great (which it often is).

A lawyer friend of mine recommended another podcast by the same producers, called "More Perfect." The material (which is all about US constitutional law) is excellent, but the production is on a whole nother level of obnoxiousness. It's so damn annoying I only got through about 3 episodes before calling it quits.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 09:48:27 AM »
I guess I listen to enough... amateur podcasts that I don't see many of the annoying tropes?  Other than occasional copy-less "improvised" ads on some of the pro ones I guess.  But even those are only about a 50% miss rate at worst for me; often they are pretty funny.  Something like the Australian fellows on TOFOP who are just so bad at it, for example.  Or hearing Gilbert Gottfried lean into the "slash" on a URL.

One 10 year veteran Warhammer podcast plays an entire 3+ minute song for an outro (his twin brother's band), and if you're doing a playlist, on bluetooth headphones with your tablet across the room, it can be tedious but that's about it.  It's a fun enough song, but after nearly 200 episodes....
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »
Trying to pass of advertisement as lighthearted banter make me want to set fire to things.

"Hey Rai, I got my new razor from the Internet Razor Club, and it's absolutely amazing! It's by far the best piece of hardened steel I've ever scraped across my jaw, at a cost less than your average pet store gerbil,  and after full week of use I haven't even slashed my own jugular vein once. Why don't you tell me all about your shaving experience with Internet Razor Club?"

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »
the farting, puking and burping sound effects some podcasters think are so funny.

You can thank Howard Stern for that.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 08:04:25 PM »
I guess I listen to enough... amateur podcasts that I don't see many of the annoying tropes?  Other than occasional copy-less "improvised" ads on some of the pro ones I guess.  But even those are only about a 50% miss rate at worst for me; often they are pretty funny.  Something like the Australian fellows on TOFOP who are just so bad at it, for example.  Or hearing Gilbert Gottfried lean into the "slash" on a URL.

One 10 year veteran Warhammer podcast plays an entire 3+ minute song for an outro (his twin brother's band), and if you're doing a playlist, on bluetooth headphones with your tablet across the room, it can be tedious but that's about it.  It's a fun enough song, but after nearly 200 episodes....

Since the podcasting business model got viable it's a lot worse.  Podcasts used to be either passion projects, or the musings of people with some kind of notoriety in their field.  These days there are more and more voices-for-hire reading off of scripts.  The worse offenders are any podcast on the Parcast network.  Some of the shows have interesting content, but they are full of phony obviously pre-written "exchanges" between the hosts, who sound like they're doing an infomercial even when they aren't. 

My pet peeves are also overly long intros.  Similar to meetings at work, I don't need people to spend 10 minutes telling me what they're going to talk about.  If I made the commitment to download the podcast already just get on with it.  I also don't see any reason for the podcast format to be so concerned with hitting time cues.  This seems like a hang-up from radio broadcasting and other mediums.  Just take as long as you need to say what you want to say and finish it right there. 
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 09:14:49 AM »
These days there are more and more voices-for-hire reading off of scripts.  The worse offenders are any podcast on the Parcast network.  Some of the shows have interesting content, but they are full of phony obviously pre-written "exchanges" between the hosts, who sound like they're doing an infomercial even when they aren't. 

I noticed that with a podcast I like called Cults. Or it's about Cults. Clearly both hosts are voice talents. It's a little too polished. I'm reminded of my student radio days. We'd run a few ads, PSAs etc between shows. At some point a major brewery tried to reach the campus radio demographic and bought ad time on campus stations all across Canada. They supplied these super slick, polished ads. They stuck out like sore thumbs. Kinds just took you out of the whole campus radio listening experience.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 10:09:42 AM »
Acted commercials. Unusual distracting noises. Un aligned voice volumes. Or worse yet, very low volume.

But one thing that bothers me, and probably just me, is when people are talking about a movie/video game/item, and only mention which is it at the beginning and start talking for 25 to 30 minutes on it. I have short attention span and often miss when they mention the name of the movie or video game, and it be nice if they mention it every so often.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 11:06:42 AM »
I mostly quit listening the podcasts that do annoying stuff. The intro/outro music on Sawbones makes my ears bleed, but I just skip forward 60 seconds the minute the obnoxious announcer begins his spiel about not taking anything on the show seriously, and then I only have to listen to 2 or 3 seconds of the music before the actual show starts, and it's one of my favorites. I also skip through the ads.

I've come to enjoy Professor Buzzkill, but I cannot stand those idiotic promo segments where someone with a moronically fake accent claims to be some famous person telling us how "stoked" they are about the show, and the music or noises they play are even worse than the Sawbones theme music.

But as I've noted elsewhere, the ads on Ross & Carrie are not annoying at all, even though they're advertising the same crap as everyone else is. Something about their tone of voice, especially Carrie's, is enjoyable even when they're advertising something. Dr. Pamela Gay's voice is also so pleasant that I don't mind her ads. I actually think it's hilarious that there's a monthly subscription service that will send you crap for your dog.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 01:16:35 PM »

Acted commercials.

Clearly no one in this thread is an Earwolf listener.

On Hollywood Handbook, listeners complained when premium content did NOT have ads. 

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 05:21:24 PM »
These days there are more and more voices-for-hire reading off of scripts.  The worse offenders are any podcast on the Parcast network.  Some of the shows have interesting content, but they are full of phony obviously pre-written "exchanges" between the hosts, who sound like they're doing an infomercial even when they aren't. 

I noticed that with a podcast I like called Cults. Or it's about Cults. Clearly both hosts are voice talents. It's a little too polished. I'm reminded of my student radio days. We'd run a few ads, PSAs etc between shows. At some point a major brewery tried to reach the campus radio demographic and bought ad time on campus stations all across Canada. They supplied these super slick, polished ads. They stuck out like sore thumbs. Kinds just took you out of the whole campus radio listening experience.

This isn't directly related to podcasting, rather youtubing, but I think both became popular for similar reasons even if their typical formats are different. I still think it's relevant:

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 06:00:06 PM »

This isn't directly related to podcasting, rather youtubing, but I think both became popular for similar reasons even if their typical formats are different. I still think it's relevant:

I have been thinking about this for quite some time but watching the last few Lindsay Ellis videos have really brought this issue into focus.  It is terrifying to me how utterly inept I am at detecting authenticity in podcasts and youtube videos.  Or perhaps should I say, I am incapable at judging authenticity when it comes to "performers" who truly understand the medium in which they are working.  Case in point, I don't think I have any trouble telling when SGU ads are authentic (eg, a Great Courses ad that specifically mentions a prominent scientist) versus something that's phoned in (didn't they literally have an NFL ad at some point?).  It's not only the subject matter, but, well, let's just say none of them are up for Oscars this year.  This is one of the reasons I'm not bothered at all by advertisements on the SGU, because even if they have some subtle influence on me I don't think it's difficult to evaluate the truthfulness of an ad.

It's way harder to do this with people whose entire shtick is to play a quasi-fictional version of themselves, and the format of podcasts and youtube videos tends to blur these lines even further.  There is this gray area between a polished ad and something that is truly organic, and a lot of people can find that sweet spot after enough practice.  The Earwolf podcasts I already mentioned tend to be very good at this.  A lot of the youtubers I've started watching could slowly start selling garbage tomorrow and I wouldn't realize it for months, because it *feels* like they are sitting in your room having a conversation, rather than producing a product.

Also everyone should stop what they are doing right now and watch that video.  Lindsay could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and I'd still recommend her videos.  ;)

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »
Trying to pass of advertisement as lighthearted banter make me want to set fire to things.

"Hey Rai, I got my new razor from the Internet Razor Club, and it's absolutely amazing! It's by far the best piece of hardened steel I've ever scraped across my jaw, at a cost less than your average pet store gerbil,  and after full week of use I haven't even slashed my own jugular vein once. Why don't you tell me all about your shaving experience with Internet Razor Club?"

It seems to me that some advertising companies have a model where they require the hosts to speak off the cuff about the product, but that they have to mention the website address three times. So you get things like...

"Oh hey so I've been using Internet Razor Club for ages now and it's been great it's the smoothest shave ever so if you want to use Internet Razor Club go to doubleyou doubleyou doubleyou dot internetrazorclub dot com and use our offer code Parmesan. That's doubleyou doubleyou doubleyou dot internetrazorclub dot com and use the offer code Parmesan. Once again, doubleyou doubleyou doubleyou dot internetrazorclub dot com."
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

personate-rain
personate-rain