Author Topic: What podcasting tropes do you want to die?  (Read 6835 times)

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
Re: What podcasting tropes do you want to die?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »
"And every podcast that relies on advertising contains 5 or 10 minutes or more where the host reads ads so there's this cost to the host's honesty or perceived honesty. If I spent the first 5 minutes of every show trying to sell you a mattress you could reasonably worry about whether my enthusiasm for it was sincere. But what else might I exaggerate if I'm willing to assure you week after week that memory foam will solve all your sleep problems."
-- Sam Harris
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 08:00:13 PM by DevoutCatalyst »

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 07:25:32 PM »
"And every podcast that relies on advertising contains 5 or 10 minutes or more where the host reads ads so there's this cost to the host's honesty or perceived honesty. If I spent the first 5 of every show trying to sell you a mattress you could reasonably worry about whether my enthusiasm for it was sincere. But what else might I exaggerate if I'm willing to assure you week after week that memory foam will solve all your sleep problems."
-- Sam Harris

The SGU does that. And that definitely irks me. Nothing against commercials, or making a buck, but let the advertiser produce them and just play their recordings. 

There should be a wall between content and advertising.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »
"And every podcast that relies on advertising contains 5 or 10 minutes or more where the host reads ads so there's this cost to the host's honesty or perceived honesty. If I spent the first 5 minutes of every show trying to sell you a mattress you could reasonably worry about whether my enthusiasm for it was sincere. But what else might I exaggerate if I'm willing to assure you week after week that memory foam will solve all your sleep problems."
-- Sam Harris

I will say the same thing I say when 60 year old scientists decry grad students publishing in Nature - it's really easy to make that critique when you're already on top.  Harris had like 5 best selling books before he started doing a podcast.  Heck, isn't it literally named after one of his books?  I mean it's nice if he doesn't subject his listeners to advertisements, but he still doesn't have any solution to the fundamental problem facing podcasts and virtually every form of media:  how do you give people high-quality content for free without someone that's going to foot the bill.

To my knowledge, NO ONE has a tried an true solution to this problem.  We can go down the "well just get enough Patreon donors" rabbit hole if you want, but that model has its own laundry list of shortcomings.

Offline God Bomb

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 07:15:54 AM »
Harris isn't against advertising in the most part.  He just doesn't personally want to do it because of the nature and content of his channel.  I don't think there's any reason why a generic entertainment podcast should be against advertising, the problem comes in when you have some kind of agenda.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline God Bomb

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2018, 07:16:50 AM »
These days there are more and more voices-for-hire reading off of scripts.  The worse offenders are any podcast on the Parcast network.  Some of the shows have interesting content, but they are full of phony obviously pre-written "exchanges" between the hosts, who sound like they're doing an infomercial even when they aren't. 

I noticed that with a podcast I like called Cults. Or it's about Cults. Clearly both hosts are voice talents. It's a little too polished. I'm reminded of my student radio days. We'd run a few ads, PSAs etc between shows. At some point a major brewery tried to reach the campus radio demographic and bought ad time on campus stations all across Canada. They supplied these super slick, polished ads. They stuck out like sore thumbs. Kinds just took you out of the whole campus radio listening experience.

yeh that's a Parcast.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2018, 08:31:10 AM »
"Donate to offset bandwidth!"

I'm not sure what service people are using but I use godaddy. They pretty much have unlimited bandwidth for one low yearly price. One can set yourself up to do a podcast and lay out no more than $300 a year. $300 a year buys you some kind of standing/name recognition/friendships in our community. The rewards for hosting a reasonably popular podcast seem commensurate with the small recurring charges. That said, our time is hugely valuable. I would certain turn out way more eps of Conspiracy Skeptic if I was making $20K a month. Or even $500 a month. Wife, child, work, mowing lawns, etc. these all get in the way. It was far easier to do the podcast when I was single and lonely :)

Anyway, podcasters be honest in what you want or need the money for. I don't mind giving you my money in recognition you ignore other aspects of your life to give me great content.

Honestly, I can't think of any other tropes, maybe, that irritate me. There are some podcasts that irritate me so I just don't listen. Maybe since Serial the true crime/innocent guy podcast is becoming a bit of a cliche.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2018, 10:49:21 AM »
I guess a thing I kinda dislike is when the hosts are also (or have been) radio people, so they have the habit of saying over and over who the guest is, what the name of the show is, etc. at regular intervals.  We know - we downloaded it on purpose.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »
"Donate to offset bandwidth!"

I'm not sure what service people are using but I use godaddy. They pretty much have unlimited bandwidth for one low yearly price. One can set yourself up to do a podcast and lay out no more than $300 a year. $300 a year buys you some kind of standing/name recognition/friendships in our community. The rewards for hosting a reasonably popular podcast seem commensurate with the small recurring charges. That said, our time is hugely valuable. I would certain turn out way more eps of Conspiracy Skeptic if I was making $20K a month. Or even $500 a month. Wife, child, work, mowing lawns, etc. these all get in the way. It was far easier to do the podcast when I was single and lonely :)

SGU used to use libsyn.com. Apparently they were getting throttled around the time they got six-figure regular listeners.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
What tropes need to die: mattress and razor ads.  ;D

"Oh hey so I've been using Internet Razor Club for ages now and it's been great it's the smoothest shave ever so if you want to use Internet Razor Club go to doubleyou doubleyou doubleyou dot internetrazorclub dot com and use our offer code Parmesan. That's doubleyou doubleyou doubleyou dot internetrazorclub dot com and use the offer code Parmesan. Once again, doubleyou doubleyou doubleyou dot internetrazorclub dot com."

https://www.harrys.com/en/us/products/the-winston
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090205163406AAAJ5it

-- Sam Harris

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 03:23:40 PM »
I'm not sure what service people are using but I use godaddy. They pretty much have unlimited bandwidth for one low yearly price. One can set yourself up to do a podcast and lay out no more than $300 a year.

Read the details on those unlimited plans: they’re not really unlimited. They allow for normal web traffic only, generally do not include serving audio or video files, and they have soft caps that will result in throttling or even loss of service if bandwidth requirements exceed a certain threshold.  Ultimately for a show with a significant following bandwidth is something that must be paid on a metered basis.  Indeed, Jay just shared that the SGU’s annual bandwidth cost is $17,000.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain