Author Topic: Bad movies with good music  (Read 5851 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Bad movies with good music
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »
Someone get to Flash Gordon yet? Incredible soundtrack (by Queen). Amazing visuals. Train wreck of a script.

Never understood the love for that soundtrack, among other issues the main theme is just stupid.
You are dead to me. Both of you. That movie is utterly flawless in every conceivable way.

Its an absolute train wreck but as a cult film is utterly flawless in every conceivable way.   ;D

If we are going to bring up cult films you could easily put Rocky Horror on the list too but I was not thinking cult films belonged on the list.  (then again as I go through them several of these are cult films)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show is also utterly flawless in every conceivable way.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 09:48:49 PM »
Back in the early Sixties, American International sought to break out of their "B" movie status and take a shot at the big time. Eyeing the success of Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," the studio sought to film Verne's "Master of the World," hoping for a huge success. They hired Vincent Price and Charles Bronson to star, and famed science fiction writer Richard Matheson to do a screen treatment, and noted composer Les Baxter to do the score.

The movie largely sucked (although it made a big impact on me as a kid), but the music proved far better than the movie. I owned the record when I was young, as I was in the habit of buying any film score music that struck me as good. It's been unavailable for years (a record for collectors went for hundreds of dollars), but is now available on YouTube:

YouTube also has the movie:

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 09:51:39 AM »
Someone get to Flash Gordon yet? Incredible soundtrack (by Queen). Amazing visuals. Train wreck of a script.

Never understood the love for that soundtrack, among other issues the main theme is just stupid.
You are dead to me. Both of you. That movie is utterly flawless in every conceivable way.

Its an absolute train wreck but as a cult film is utterly flawless in every conceivable way.   ;D

If we are going to bring up cult films you could easily put Rocky Horror on the list too but I was not thinking cult films belonged on the list.  (then again as I go through them several of these are cult films)
I totally agree with you on Flash Gordon, its a beautiful train wreck and I love it.  Its just not good by any reasonable definition.  And the soundtrack is perfect for it but its not good music.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 03:52:46 PM »
My all-time favorite film composer, Jerry Goldsmith, has done plenty of fantastic scores to lousy movies. Prime example:

And there are only three worthwhile things about the 1976 KING KONG: Rick Baker's fantastic ape suit, the introduction of Jessica Lange, and John Barry's score: