Author Topic: Episode #676  (Read 6337 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #676
« on: June 23, 2018, 11:54:50 AM »
What's the Word: Vector
News Items: Video Game Addiction, Continent of Stability, Return of Astrology, Antarctic Ice
Who's That Noisy
Your Questions and E-mails: Polio Follow Up
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #676
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »
Steve is wrong. Cara is not leading Science or Fiction for 2018.  ;)

The same person who has lead for most of the last 2 years, only to fall over in the last few months of both years is.
(click to show/hide)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 08:57:59 PM »
I find words like 'vector' fascinating. I start off knowing what it means, then think of another meaning, then another, then another...

I giggled when :cara: completely missed the reference to Airplane. I could see the boys rolling their eyes and biting their tongues to not "OH MY GOD YOU HAVEN'T SEEN AIRPLANE?!" That made me giggle too. Even if that was edited in post, it is progress. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 02:33:08 AM »
I find words like 'vector' fascinating. I start off knowing what it means, then think of another meaning, then another, then another...

I giggled when :cara: completely missed the reference to Airplane. I could see the boys rolling their eyes and biting their tongues to not "OH MY GOD YOU HAVEN'T SEEN AIRPLANE?!" That made me giggle too. Even if that was edited in post, it is progress. :)

Known as "Flying High!" this side of the Pacific. A much better title.  8)

Offline drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • blaugh
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 02:39:43 PM »
I was disappointed with their coverage of the IHOb thing. Sure, it's fine that their main point is that it's stupid and it's marketing and get off my lawn. However, they didn't really talk much about the Wendy's "burn" that 99% of all other coverage seems to be fixated on. The reason I put "burn" in quotation marks is that it was a shitty burn, it was a counter-factual burn, it was a burn that requires one to completely ignore and reject reality to accept as a burn.

"Not really afraid of the burgers from a place that decided pancakes were too hard."

They didn't stop making pancakes. They're not going to stop making pancakes. THEY'RE STILL MAKING PANCAKES AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.

The marketing stunt was to announce that they're doing burgers IN ADDITION TO THE STUFF THEY WERE ALREADY DOING. What they're now doing is HARDER than it was before, the menu is expanded, they're dong more. THEY'RE DOING MORE THAN THEY DID BEFORE, NOT LESS. In fact, Wendy's is one of the few major fast-food chains that doesn't have a breakfast menu. Which means that now IHOP is doing MORE than Wendy's, and is serving a menu that's HARDER than the Wendy's menu.

The response should have been a thousand IHOP fans tweeting "not really worried about a lame 'burn' from a place that can't even manage breakfast". But viral nonsense doesn't care much for reality or facts or any inconvenient shit like that.
"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

- Jack Kerouac, On The Road

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 02:44:20 PM »
Apropos of the astrology resurgence, today in the Google News feed under "Science" was a story about which zodiac signs were most affected by the full moon this week.   
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline missymocha

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 05:19:23 PM »
On the pseudoscience front, I help my sister at art fairs where she sells planthangers and fan pulls made with faceted glass beads and copper wire.  The number of people who come up and ask if these are "crystals" is amazing.  We always laugh that we should be so protected from bad spirits as during the shows we are literally surrounded by "crystals" and her house is full of them.  I told her we should say yes and tell them they need at least 6 to surround their house, but she is too honest to do that. 

The idea that these beliefs don't hurt as they don't cause anything bad, is twisted at best.  It does hurt when people have false hope and spend money on crap rather than on something that could improve their lives.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 09:00:48 PM »
On the pseudoscience front, I help my sister at art fairs where she sells planthangers and fan pulls made with faceted glass beads and copper wire.  The number of people who come up and ask if these are "crystals" is amazing.  We always laugh that we should be so protected from bad spirits as during the shows we are literally surrounded by "crystals" and her house is full of them.  I told her we should say yes and tell them they need at least 6 to surround their house, but she is too honest to do that. 

The idea that these beliefs don't hurt as they don't cause anything bad, is twisted at best.  It does hurt when people have false hope and spend money on crap rather than on something that could improve their lives.

I had to read "planthangers" three times before it wasn't "plan thangers" in my brain.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »
This is way too late, but that noisy is someone striking the tension lines that hold up telephone poles.  When sped up, it was the sound for star wars blasters.

When I found out, as a boy, how they made the blaster sound, no guy wire in our neighborhood was safe from a solid wacking.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:52:53 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 06:57:15 PM »
This is way too late, but that noisy is someone striking the tension lines that hold up telephone poles.  When sped up, it was the sound for star wars blasters.

When I found out, as a boy, how they made the blaster sound, no guy wire in our neighborhood was safe from a solid wacking.

Are they 'guy' wires or 'guide' wires? I thought it was the second, but not from any actual knowledge.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
Common mistake: Cara says there is a "negative feedback loop" when it comes to people visiting Antarctica and damaging the continent further because the devastation makes it easier to visit and exploit the continent, but what she's describing is more like positive feedback. A negative feedback loop is actually self limiting.
Mooohn!

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »

Are they 'guy' wires or 'guide' wires? I thought it was the second, but not from any actual knowledge.

The wires that brace a tall pole are guy wires. But on a ship the fixed ropes or cables that brace the masts are stays. Curiously, the sails are not sheets. Sheets are the running rigging that is used to hoist the sails.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 12:05:52 PM »
Common mistake: Cara says there is a "negative feedback loop" when it comes to people visiting Antarctica and damaging the continent further because the devastation makes it easier to visit and exploit the continent, but what she's describing is more like positive feedback. A negative feedback loop is actually self limiting.

That is a perfectly pedantic post. I missed that one. I bet I've done the same thing. In a non-technical setting I wouldn't worry about it any more than I would worry about decelerate. On SGU, with pride of accuracy on the line it's a different story. :)

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 11:24:29 AM »

That reminds me of when I was 9 years old, there was a telephone pole in our neighborhood  that was the last in line, so it had two big guy wires coming down from it.  One day we kids started bouncing on the guy wire, and didn't notice that we started the electrical wires bouncing up and down.  I guess we hit the right resonance frequency, because they bounced so much that the wires contacted each other.  We caused a power outage in our area for about a half an hour. We never did 'fess up to that one, and we never got in trouble  :laugh:.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 12:05:40 PM »

That is a perfectly pedantic post.

Mooohn!