Author Topic: Huawei and Google  (Read 779 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Huawei and Google
« on: May 22, 2019, 05:48:47 AM »
This situation is quite messy and as someone who just bought a Huawei device days before the announcement, I am quite interested.
For those who dont know:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48334739

Google is being required by the US to stop supporting Huawei devices. Huawei are assuring customers they will support them themselves but nothing really binds them to do so and they have a strong motive to make this claim.

Do you think they would honour this offer over a course of two or more years?

Do you think community support from the likes of XDA would be enough to keep the phones running?

Very interested in what people think. And yes, this is definitely one advantage of ios but an equivalent spec apple phone was more than double the price on the deal I was offered so...

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Huawei and Google
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:55:15 AM »
The article you link to makes it sound as though if the restriction is not reversed, which it could be, your phone will still work but might lose some functionality over time.

I'm wondering why you compare the Huawei phone with an iPhone rather than with e.g. a Samsung phone. For me, ease of use is more important than price or specs, which is why I prefer iOS. I certainly understand that some folks are more concerned with price or specs. But in general, if one brand is significantly cheaper than all the others it makes me suspicious of the quality. It may show the same or similar specs, but be less durable or more prone to breakdowns.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »
I would see if it can be exchanged for a new phone of a different brand. I would not even mess with it nor would I consider ever buying any Chinese phone. Not just for the current situation but they have a long history of putting spyware in all there tech. Not worth a deal, get anther brand.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 02:32:44 PM »
Isn't everybody's phone made in China?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 05:59:44 AM »
I would see if it can be exchanged for a new phone of a different brand. I would not even mess with it nor would I consider ever buying any Chinese phone. Not just for the current situation but they have a long history of putting spyware in all there tech. Not worth a deal, get anther brand.
Yeah, I could have exchanged it but I would have to return the phone by post and the friend who got me the deal as an employee of the phone company is leaving next week so I would have to take out the deal at full price, which I literally do not have the money to do.
This one is already on my credit card.

Daniel, the reason I compared to iphone is because they make their own devices and run the os themselves so for example if Trump ever decides he doesnt like Samsung (unlikely) this could happen to them but Tim Apple will probably be fine.

I have avoided. Huawei for a long time but phones are so damn expensive now and I badly needed a new one. I felt it was worth the security risk.
Im hopeful that the modder community might step up until I can afford something better.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 08:29:29 AM »
I'm wondering why you compare the Huawei phone with an iPhone rather than with e.g. a Samsung phone. For me, ease of use is more important than price or specs, which is why I prefer iOS.

There's also the issue of dependency and control that Apple imposes onto their users.

"Ease of use" is a marketing myth. The Android OS is no more difficult than iOS.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 12:05:21 AM »
I'm wondering why you compare the Huawei phone with an iPhone rather than with e.g. a Samsung phone. For me, ease of use is more important than price or specs, which is why I prefer iOS.

There's also the issue of dependency and control that Apple imposes onto their users.

"Ease of use" is a marketing myth. The Android OS is no more difficult than iOS.

Not any more, it isn't.

I remember in year 11 - 1986, I think, my school had two computer labs. One was an IBM lab and one was a Mac lab. On the first day of school during lunchtime I sat down at one of the IBM computers and switched it on.

A:\ _

It stared at me, waiting for me to do something. I had absolutely no clue what to do with it. The room was completely empty. So I switched it off and went next door to the Mac lab, which actually had some people in it. One of them handed me a floppy disk and said "double-click things to open them". In thirty seconds I was playing a simple graphical roleplaying game. I never set foot in the IBM lab again.

Apple set the standard. Yes, other OSes have come up to meet that standard since the beginning, but while it wasn't there first, Apple was way out ahead of just about everything else in its time.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 06:14:47 PM »

Not any more, it isn't.

I remember in year 11 - 1986, I think, my school had two computer labs. One was an IBM lab and one was a Mac lab. On the first day of school during lunchtime I sat down at one of the IBM computers and switched it on.

A:\ _

It stared at me, waiting for me to do something. I had absolutely no clue what to do with it. The room was completely empty. So I switched it off and went next door to the Mac lab, which actually had some people in it. One of them handed me a floppy disk and said "double-click things to open them". In thirty seconds I was playing a simple graphical roleplaying game. I never set foot in the IBM lab again.

Apple set the standard. Yes, other OSes have come up to meet that standard since the beginning, but while it wasn't there first, Apple was way out ahead of just about everything else in its time.

You're invoking 1980s computer history to counter my claims about Apple's current business model and the usability of Android versus iOS? That's a genetic fallacy

The Ford Corporation pioneered the automobile assembly line. Does that make Ford cars more advanced than a Tesla or more reliable than a Toyota?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 07:45:11 PM by John Albert »

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 09:08:23 PM »
You're invoking 1980s computer history to counter my claims about Apple's current business model and the usability of Android versus iOS? That's a genetic fallacy.
No, I'm providing a counterpoint. Notice that I didn't actually disagree with your claim that Android is no more difficult to use than iOS. Because it isn't.

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 09:57:40 PM »
...nor would I consider ever buying any Chinese phone. Not just for the current situation but they have a long history of putting spyware in all their tech.

Do you have any references about that spyware claim?

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 10:52:00 AM »
...nor would I consider ever buying any Chinese phone. Not just for the current situation but they have a long history of putting spyware in all their tech.

Do you have any references about that spyware claim?

I thought it was pretty common knowledge, there has been so many its hard to find one article that covers the history of it. More at the link, they have a long history of spyware in all the tech, not sure just smartphones.

https://theweek.com/articles/748176/chinese-smartphone-spying

Chinese smartphones have also come under a lot of criticism for spyware. Over the last several years, there have been multiple discoveries of malware loaded on Xiaomi, Lenovo, Huawei, and other Chinese smartphones.

In 2016, for instance, the mobile security firm Krytpowire uncovered Chinese malware on as many as 700 million budget Android devices. Hidden in a benign support app, the pre-installed, third-party software would secretly send full text messages, contact lists, call history, location data, and other sensitive information to a server in Shanghai every 72 hours. The offending company, Shanghai Adups Technology Co., was reportedly using the data to tailor advertising to users; it claimed the app was only intended for the Chinese market and that a small number of America-bound phones were loaded with it due to a glitch.

Chinese malware hidden in smartphones certainly sounds suspicious, but it's hardly a smoking gun. After all, the greatest threats that computers and mobile devices around the world faced in the past year, Spectre and Meltdown, stemmed from security flaws in American-made chips

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 12:36:27 PM »
You're invoking 1980s computer history to counter my claims about Apple's current business model and the usability of Android versus iOS? That's a genetic fallacy.

No, I'm providing a counterpoint. Notice that I didn't actually disagree with your claim that Android is no more difficult to use than iOS. Because it isn't.

But neither Android nor iOS even existed back in 1986, and the "walled garden" wasn't even a concept yet. So I don't see how it can even be a counterpoint. 

Yes, at one time the Apple Computer Company led the industry in UI design, with a proof-of-concept that they purchased from the Xerox PARC.

That fledgling company no longer exists. Now it's called "Apple," and it's a completely different beast.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:39:57 PM by John Albert »

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 08:46:37 PM »

But neither Android nor iOS even existed back in 1986, and the "walled garden" wasn't even a concept yet. So I don't see how it can even be a counterpoint.

Very few graphical interfaces existed back then. That's the point.

Yes, at one time the Apple Computer Company led the industry in UI design, with a proof-of-concept that they purchased from the Xerox PARC.

That fledgling company no longer exists. Now it's called "Apple," and it's a completely different beast.

You know what? Never mind. Forget I said anything.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 04:00:34 AM »
For whatever it's worth, I fully acknowledge that the Apple Computer Company was a pioneer in refining and commercializing the graphical user interface.

personate-rain
personate-rain