Author Topic: How far would you be willing to go to accommodate a religious partner?  (Read 11094 times)

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: How far would you be willing to go to accommodate a religious partner?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 03:21:56 PM »
... to be stuffed with a look of recrimination and fitted with a motion sensor to say, "I knew you'd never amount to anything" when ever someone came close. 

I love it!!!
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 06:23:19 AM »
Not very far. I'm sure its possible that I'd fall madly in love with a religious personm though it seems quite unlikely at this point. In the same vein, I almost certainly would never make it to the status of 'partner' with a smoker.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »
In my experience, very religious women are more reluctant to go out with me than I am to go out with them. And since I won't lie and pretend to believe in religion to get a date (something that has been suggested to me, BTW) I'm probably never going to be in a situation where I have to answer the question. (Though I did answer upthread.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2018, 11:28:39 AM »
- Getting married in a religious ceremony?

No, wouldn't that make me a hypocrite?

- Living in accordance of some of the religious rules?

No.

- Having infant children baptised, or equivalent?

No, but then I've never wanted to have kids PERIOD. That's a separate discussion.

- Having infant children circumcised?

See previous answer.

- Raising children in her or his religious beliefs?

See above.

- Converting to her or his religion?

No.

I concede that one major reason I am 56 years old and not only still single but have never even had a girlfriend is because of my atheistism.   I could see myself in a relationship with a woman who belived in God, as long as she didn't try to convert me or her religion didn't dominate every aspect of her life. And she would have be tolerant of my lack of respect for religon and barbs about superstitous nonsense.  (and of couse there's the whole I can't understand why ANYONE in their right mind would  WANT to have kids issue)

I have the same position in regards to politics. To be honest, I'm more open minded to religion.  I just cannot see myself being attracted to a Republican or conservative, AT ALL. But then again, I can't fathom such being interested in me.

But at my age, romance and kids are moot issues now anyway.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 05:59:32 PM »
the competition is mostly dead.

Ooh, burn!

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 06:19:47 PM »
the competition is mostly dead.

Ooh, burn!

Seriously, that was a world-class line.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline kendranoelle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
I would possibly get married in a religious ceremony. However I'm guessing a good number require those ~pre-marriage~ classes for those who do not convert. My folks got married in a Catholic ceremony. My mother is Catholic (lukewarm at best), and my dad is Methodist (vaguely). They always told me that in order for them to get married in a Catholic church they'd have to agree to raise their kids Catholic since my dad refused to convert in order to get a Catholic ceremony. Whether this is true, I can't say. Family folklore, I feel, but all 3 of us were in fact raised Catholic and none of us made it to confirmation (we all were atheists by age 12-13 and balked at simply going to Mass).

And with that little story, it would depend on the religion. If they allow ~unequal~ "yolks" (ugh, something like that), then sure, I'd do it to appease the partner or in laws. If there was a requirement of conversion or at the very least requiring to at least attempt to raise the children in the religion, then no.

As for the rest of the questions? That would be a hard pass. I would not really like to live with the religious rules (though I guess if I married a lukewarm Catholic like my folks, I'll cheerfully eat tuna noodle casserole or fried walleye on Fridays during Lent).

No, my kids would not be baptized, circumcised (as I find that highly unethical), or raised in said religion. That's not fair to the children. In my opinion it violates their autonomy to choose whether to live in accordance to a particular religion or not by basically admitting them to it sans permission.

I get that parents have some control over their kids' autonomy but I think decisions like following a particular religion is one that they should be allowed to make when they're older.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2018, 02:58:50 PM »
Back in the day when such things mattered more, kids were typically raised in the religion of either their mother or the father for boys and mother for girls.  I'd guess your mother's story was partially true  if somewhat distorted by time. 

Offline Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2018, 06:13:42 PM »
I wouldn't marry someone that was of such different beliefs that I had to "accommodate" something like that.

personate-rain
personate-rain