Author Topic: Episode #677  (Read 15448 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #677
« on: June 30, 2018, 12:33:42 PM »
What's the Word: Endophyte
News Items: DNA Testing, Anti-Smart Meter Pseudoscience, Keeping Ahead of the Expanding Universe, Roots of Alcoholism
Who's That Noisy
Your Questions and E-mails: Brit-Bashing
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline elert

• Off to a Start
    • The Physics Hypertextbook
Re: Episode #677
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 02:56:32 PM »
The speed of sound in steel is around 15 times faster than the speed of sound in air at room temperature.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
I did 23andme a few years ago because I was curious about my ancestry. They also gave me a bunch of health information without counseling. The health info gave my probability of a bunch of different conditions, and for each, a confidence level for the prediction. I saw that I have a very slightly increased risk of developing Alzheimers, and at first that disturbed me. But then I reflected that the chances are still very small, and on top of that the confidence level of the prediction was not all that great. Bottom line: Meh! No big deal. Same for all the other medical conditions they listed.

I agree with Steve that companies should not be allowed to make bogus claims. But I feel the same way about companies that make bogus claims in any realm. Con artists that offer to sell you "life-extending" information for $2,500 are a much lower concern for me than scum like Jenny McCarthy convincing parents to not get their kids vaccinated.

I agree with Steve that companies should not be allowed to make unsupported claims. I agree with Cara that people have a right to their own information if they want to pay for the testing, or if it already exists in a data base somewhere.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 07:33:18 PM »
For what it’s worth, I read German translations of books.  The publishers usually specify whether the book has been translated from the American or the English (and occasionally the Australian).
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 08:33:31 PM »
FYI: Japan also drives on the left hand side of the road.
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 10:57:15 PM »
Other countries which are not british former colonies who drive on the left - Thailand and Indonesia.

About 23 and me, I asked this before in several places but nobody ever gave me an answer. 
Do they have any questionnaire component of the test?  Do you have to give your real name?

I'm not concerned about privacy, it's more to do with wanting a blinded test.   I wouldn't be very impressed if it asks first where my parents are from, then tells me my ancestry is from the same place.  Similarly some names give a very reliable indication of your ethnicity.
 Do you think it is worth non-whites taking this test, since as said, the vast majority of their data is from white americans and europeans.  How detailed and accurate will the ancestry info be for non-whites?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:05:23 PM by God Bomb »
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 01:22:19 AM »
Cheese in NZ is made with rennet, derived from animal stomach lining, thank you very much.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Nigel

• Seasoned Contributor
  • One man, one opinion
    • The Skeptical Review
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 07:34:14 AM »
I am in the States form Pennsylvania so my thoughts about the SGU being too parochial come from this viewpoint.  I have never thought the SGU was making fun of the U.K.  If anything I sometimes wonder if they are too much is awe of it.  Although, this is a mere quibble.  I compare it to when listening to Skeptics with a K. They often make jokes of the correct way to spell a word in the British manner compared to in the U.S. or how to say the name “Cecil” correctly, and that Cecils in the U.S. say their own name inproperly.   Perhaps only once or twice in the years of listening to SWaK did I think something might have approached a line.  I got over it.  It seems to me the SGU is similar in style.  If anything SWaK I think lacks the admiration for the U.S. that the SGU shows for Britain and Australia.  (I do think British/U.S./Australian skeptics do approach certain topics of skepticism differently mainly those dealing with religion, but that is a different topic.)

I cannot say the email author is wrong to feel offended.  I cannot get inside the guy’s head, but I sure hope the SGU does not change its tone or demeanor at all.  (Sure seemed to me Dr. Novellla was projecting they were not going to change.).

Yes. Even with Connecticut only being three hours away from my home there are times that turns of phrase or pronounciation used by the brothers and Evan strike me as odd.  The most common example is the New England pronunciation of ‘aquatic.” Cracks me up each time.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 02:05:17 PM »
Interesting that breast and prostate cancer screening didn't arise in the DNA testing discussion... but not surprised.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 07:34:40 PM »
Interesting that breast and prostate cancer screening didn't arise in the DNA testing discussion... but not surprised.

In Swedish populations, genetics plays a role in around 50-60% of cases, in particular BRCA1 and BRCA2 confers a moderate to high risk of prostatic carcinoma in men and breast and ovarian carcinoma in women.

A summary from the NIH:

https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/hp/prostate-genetics-pdq

And, no, I haven’t learnt how to insert links.  I typed in the link laboriously.  Perhaps someone can tell me how to do it?  But I promise not to do a CarbShark with his block dumped lists of links.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 07:40:13 PM »
I think Steve may have gotten something wrong about the Heat Death of the universe.

He opined there would still be stuff. I think as long as there’s “stuff”, there will be gravity working on that stuff, which would involve movement and some degree of work, energy and heat.

From what I understand, the heat death will not arrive until the last proton “evaporates”. Though there are possibly more fundamental particles that will need to “evaporate” as well before Heat Death is complete.

But I’m not a physicist or cosmologist, so I’d appreciate being straightened out on this if I have it wrong.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »

And, no, I haven’t learnt how to insert links.

Well, you have to paste the link between “url” and “/url”, each contained within square brackets.

But your url does, in fact, show as a link in Safari on an iPad.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 08:08:13 PM »

And, no, I haven’t learnt how to insert links.

Well, you have to paste the link between “url” and “/url”, each contained within square brackets.

But your url does, in fact, show as a link in Safari on an iPad.

I should have specified that I don’t know how to insert links on an iPad.  Pasting links between brackets is also a problem.  If I was using a laptop, I wouldn’t have any problem.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »

I should have specified that I don’t know how to insert links on an iPad.  Pasting links between brackets is also a problem.  If I was using a laptop, I wouldn’t have any problem.

As far as I can see, same way on a Mac or an iPad. Unless Im missing something.

As an aside, on my iPad I made a couple of "Text Replacement" shortcuts. "urly" types in the url tags in square brackets - all I have to do is paste between them. Really handy timesaver. You can guess what "imgy" and "quoty" do.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 09:08:06 PM »

About 23 and me, I asked this before in several places but nobody ever gave me an answer. 
Do they have any questionnaire component of the test?  Do you have to give your real name?

I did it, about 2004.  Don't remember any such questionnaire, but maybe.  There were some questions about where you're from that seemed aimed at helping ancestry researchers.

The cast made a big deal about how important family history is in re medical evaluations - there are a lot of folks, like me, who have no idea what that history is.  So if you don't know one of your biological parents, or you're not sure if you're really related to Aunt Flo, these genetic testing services can be a nice fill-in.

Here's a snip from mine - if I had a big number in the colon cancer column, or if I knew there were colon cancer in my family, I would get more frequent testing... that's the value.

Amend and resubmit.

personate-rain