Author Topic: Episode #676  (Read 6465 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #676
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 09:49:23 AM »
I find words like 'vector' fascinating. I start off knowing what it means, then think of another meaning, then another, then another...
I was a little disappointed when Cara mentioned it's use in computer graphics and said it is used in Photoshop.
Photoshop has *some* vector capabilities (it can output vector graphics but virtually no one does it right). Photoshop is primarily for raster graphics.
For vector art you'd choose Illustrator or something similar.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 09:54:58 AM »
Apropos of the astrology resurgence, today in the Google News feed under "Science" was a story about which zodiac signs were most affected by the full moon this week.

I wonder if the resurgence of astrology is somehow related to the incredible popularity of yoga.
My office is across the hall from a Yoga studio and virtually all the chatter is pseudoscience, from ear candling to homeopathy to acupuncture to chakras to any manner of random nutrition / herbology advice. Often reference to one's sign is mentioned.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 10:51:35 AM »
My first class in engineering school was in vector geometry, taught by a prof who wrote a book on the subject. I did fine, but for the life of me could not think of a practical use. Then in 1972 I got my first programming job in the auto industry doing early green-screen 3D vector graphics on ungodly-expensive equipment. Vector geometry and hexadecimal math became my life for several years. This was the same technology and equipment used in the first Star Wars movie to create the green wire-frame rotating death star. We also used vector geometry to simulate loads on trusses and other structural features in factories.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »
When asked what my sign is, I used to answer that my sine is zero because I have no degrees, and that my rising sign is the alarm clock. I think it's been decades since anybody asked me what my sign is.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »
When asked what my sign is, I used to answer that my sine is zero because I have no degrees, and that my rising sign is the alarm clock. I think it's been decades since anybody asked me what my sign is.

I used to say that Virgos like me don't believe in astrology.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 01:15:53 PM »

I used to say that Virgos like me don't believe in astrology.
They say I'm a cancer, thanks a lot, astrolo-holes.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 07:39:00 PM »
Apropos of the astrology resurgence, today in the Google News feed under "Science" was a story about which zodiac signs were most affected by the full moon this week.

I wonder if the resurgence of astrology is somehow related to the incredible popularity of yoga.
My office is across the hall from a Yoga studio and virtually all the chatter is pseudoscience, from ear candling to homeopathy to acupuncture to chakras to any manner of random nutrition / herbology advice. Often reference to one's sign is mentioned.

There's definitely a correlation between pseudosciences. If a person is inclined to accept one form of pseudoscience, chances are that they'll be inclined to accept others as well. The weirdest thing is that some of these pseudosciences directly contradict each other. For example, acupuncture says that energy flows along specifically-defined meridian lines. Yoga says that energy is concentrated into chakras. It's hard to accept that they can both be simultaneously true, yet there are people who believe both.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »

Haha this is my favourite joke of the day.  I guess mine is 0.0350 because I have two degrees.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

personate-rain