Author Topic: Episode #678  (Read 5946 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #678
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:49:28 AM »
What's the Word: Adsorption
News Items: Harlan Ellison Dies, Complex Organic Molecules on Enceladus, Clever Crows, New England Supervolcano, Marshmallow Test Revisited
Who's That Noisy
Your Questions and E-mails: Non-Ionizing Radiation
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Episode #678
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »
Oh my God! Oh my God!! OH MY GOD!!! I won last week's Who's That Noisy! Yes, that was me (Daniel) who Jay named for sending in the correct answer. I was so certain that a gazillion people would have recognized it and answered before me that I even put that in my email. I thought it was soooo obvious. Because I remember those rock polishers. I never had one, but I knew people who did. Whoopee! I can't remember if I've ever sent in an answer before, if that, because I can never even think of a clever silly guess.

Unless there's another Daniel who also happened to send in the same answer, but I think that's unlikely.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 12:54:04 AM »
Just the other day, whilst tooling don Main St, a rental camper van turned right onto Main and came straight at me (we have only one lane roads in Mid Canterbury).  I slowed to a crawl and it wasn't until she was close enough to see the horror and shame on her face that she turned into the correct lane. 

Tourists to NZ seem to account for at least a dozen deaths on the road here yearly due to not driving in the correct (left hand) lane.  Extra dangerous as kiwis seem to often be texting or drunk (or both) and might not notice an oncoming vehicle.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 10:19:00 AM »
Just the other day ... a rental camper van turned right onto Main and came straight at me (we have only one lane roads in Mid Canterbury).  I slowed to a crawl and it wasn't until she was close enough to see the horror and shame on her face that she turned into the correct lane. 

I don't understand. If you have only one lane roads how could she turn into the other lane?

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 01:58:01 PM »
Just the other day ... a rental camper van turned right onto Main and came straight at me (we have only one lane roads in Mid Canterbury).  I slowed to a crawl and it wasn't until she was close enough to see the horror and shame on her face that she turned into the correct lane. 

I don't understand. If you have only one lane roads how could she turn into the other lane?

Sorry, one lane in each direction.  There are mostly one lane bridges...
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 05:31:48 PM »
"Welcome to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe: The Opposite of Sucking..."

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 06:36:32 PM »
I'm only twenty minutes in so far but I was startled by a couple of gaps in Cara's vocabulary. First that she had not heard of pyroclastic flows, but I figured okay, she's a biologist and a psychologist and not a geologist. But then she mentioned humus, which did surprise me as I thought that was a common term used by pretty much everyone, including palaeontologists.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 07:09:11 PM »
I'm only twenty minutes in so far but I was startled by a couple of gaps in Cara's vocabulary. First that she had not heard of pyroclastic flows, but I figured okay, she's a biologist and a psychologist and not a geologist. But then she mentioned humus, which did surprise me as I thought that was a common term used by pretty much everyone, including palaeontologists.

Agreed. Seems basic to me, since I remember it from my elementary/middle school science textbook.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 04:08:11 AM »
I accept Steve's proposal. I will transition to driving on the right if America goes fully metric. Throw in DD-MM-YY and it's a great deal.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »
I accept Steve's proposal. I will transition to driving on the right if America goes fully metric. Throw in DD-MM-YY and it's a great deal.

I counter with universal YYMMDD. Done?

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 11:36:29 AM »

YYYY
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 07:06:55 PM »

I will accept that.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »
Oh my God! Oh my God!! OH MY GOD!!! I won last week's Who's That Noisy! Yes, that was me (Daniel) who Jay named for sending in the correct answer. I was so certain that a gazillion people would have recognized it and answered before me that I even put that in my email. I thought it was soooo obvious. Because I remember those rock polishers. I never had one, but I knew people who did. Whoopee! I can't remember if I've ever sent in an answer before, if that, because I can never even think of a clever silly guess.

Unless there's another Daniel who also happened to send in the same answer, but I think that's unlikely.
Been meaning to ask- was it you who recommended David Huntsberger and Cara do a show together?

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 09:43:16 PM »
It sounds like this episode was recorded before the Alex Jones news. I'm curious if it will come up on the next episode.

BTW, congratulations daniel1948!

One of my lifelong dreams is to have Jay use one of my WTN submissions :)

personate-rain