Author Topic: Episode #678  (Read 4977 times)

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
Re: Episode #678
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 05:52:07 PM »
Oh my God! Oh my God!! OH MY GOD!!! I won last week's Who's That Noisy! Yes, that was me (Daniel) who Jay named for sending in the correct answer. I was so certain that a gazillion people would have recognized it and answered before me that I even put that in my email. I thought it was soooo obvious. Because I remember those rock polishers. I never had one, but I knew people who did. Whoopee! I can't remember if I've ever sent in an answer before, if that, because I can never even think of a clever silly guess.

Unless there's another Daniel who also happened to send in the same answer, but I think that's unlikely.

Congrats, Daniel! 
Jay used my WTN suggestion of sperm whales on episode 669.  I got so excited that my genitals sucked up into my body cavity. 

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 11:59:14 PM »
Oh my God! Oh my God!! OH MY GOD!!! I won last week's Who's That Noisy! Yes, that was me (Daniel) who Jay named for sending in the correct answer. I was so certain that a gazillion people would have recognized it and answered before me that I even put that in my email. I thought it was soooo obvious. Because I remember those rock polishers. I never had one, but I knew people who did. Whoopee! I can't remember if I've ever sent in an answer before, if that, because I can never even think of a clever silly guess.

Unless there's another Daniel who also happened to send in the same answer, but I think that's unlikely.

Congrats, Daniel! 
Jay used my WTN suggestion of sperm whales on episode 669.  I got so excited that my genitals sucked up into my body cavity.

Most women think that's a normal state of affairs...?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 08:28:54 PM »
Boy, Steve's  :steve: description of his daughter having multiple things on a computer screen at the same time seemed like he was suggesting that people are getting better at multitasking. 
He's said multiple times in the past that people (i.e. human brains) suck at multitasking.  I wonder if he's thinking that people are actually getting better at multitasking over time, or if this is somehow something different from multitasking.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 08:46:41 PM »
I didn’t think he was suggesting that it was an optimal working conditions, but that it was becoming customary for young people.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »
People can't do two things at once very well, but they can switch back and forth between them quickly to make it look like multitasking.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline God Bomb

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »
I think Cara asked what would the left-hand vs right-hand driving statistics look like by population.  Given india's population, and also indonesia, pakistan and bangladesh all have huge populations, it might be less lopsided when considered that way.  I'd estimate over 2bn people live with this system.

Counting by number of actual cars though, I did read somehwere it's close to 90% RHT, of course that doesn't include all road vehicles.  In south east asia and the indian subcontinent there are massive amounts of scooters which aren't included in this stat.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »
I think Cara asked what would the left-hand vs right-hand driving statistics look like by population.  Given india's population, and also indonesia, pakistan and bangladesh all have huge populations, it might be less lopsided when considered that way.  I'd estimate over 2bn people live with this system.

Pretty close. I took the list of countries with left-handed traffic from Wikipedia and cross referenced their populations. Total: 2.7 billion.

The one that surprised me was the US Virgin Islands.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
In the Virgin Islands they drive on the left, but with US with the steering wheel on the left. It is confusing.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 05:16:14 PM »
In the Virgin Islands they drive on the left, but with US with the steering wheel on the left. It is confusing.

Samoa used to be like that, but the other way around. They drove on the right, but a lot of their cars came from Australia and New Zealand with the steering wheel on the right.

In 2009 they changed to driving on the left because it was going to be cheaper to continue importing Aussie and Kiwi cars.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/sep/08/samoa-drivers-switch-left

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 05:16:42 PM »

That's why Sweden changed to RHT in the 60's... they were left side traffic with mostly cars built for right hand traffic, it was not safe.  It is a real interesting story how they made the switch.... moreso than why they made the switch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H
Amend and resubmit.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »

That's why Sweden changed to RHT in the 60's... they were left side traffic with mostly cars built for right hand traffic, it was not safe.  It is a real interesting story how they made the switch.... moreso than why they made the switch.

That was very interesting.  Thank you.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 05:38:51 PM »

That was very interesting.  Thank you.

The podcast about it is thoroughly enjoyable -
https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/h-day/

"Keep to the right, Swenson!"
Amend and resubmit.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 06:34:49 PM »

Samoa used to be like that, but the other way around. They drove on the right, but a lot of their cars came from Australia and New Zealand with the steering wheel on the right.

In 2009 they changed to driving on the left because it was going to be cheaper to continue importing Aussie and Kiwi cars.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/sep/08/samoa-drivers-switch-left

Fiji uses the Australian system, because we basically built their roads.
Self-described nerd

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
Lucky for them they mentioned the original meaning of factoid, I would been shaking my cane at them otherwise.

Offline God Bomb

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 07:09:42 PM »
Lucky for them they mentioned the original meaning of factoid, I would been shaking my cane at them otherwise.

The suffix "oid" means something resembling something else, e.g. humanoid, so it makes sense that it originally meant something that looked like a fact but wasn't  a fact.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.