Author Topic: Episode #678  (Read 5667 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Episode #678
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 09:09:28 PM »
From the Greek οιδα, perf. tense of ειδον, ‘I have seen’ or ‘perceived’ (and therefore often in a transferred sense,  ‘I know’).  It used to start with a digamma (an archaic letter that represented the lost ‘w’ sound in Greek), and is cognate with the Latin video ‘I see.’ ειδον has no present tense.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2018, 08:52:54 AM »
Lucky for them they mentioned the original meaning of factoid, I would been shaking my cane at them otherwise.

The suffix "oid" means something resembling something else, e.g. humanoid, so it makes sense that it originally meant something that looked like a fact but wasn't  a fact.
Which is exactly why it bothers me so much that it now means "trivia".  That and we already have a word for "trivia".

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2018, 10:37:15 PM »
"Trivia" is a plural noun. "Factoid", however, is a singular noun. The words serve different purposes. You can talk about a factoid. You don't talk about a trivius.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »
"Trivia" is a plural noun. "Factoid", however, is a singular noun. The words serve different purposes. You can talk about a factoid. You don't talk about a trivius.

I could be wrong since it has been at least 30 years since I studied any latin but wouldn't it be "trivium" for the singular. (Not that it matters.)

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2018, 07:09:39 PM »
it doesn't really matter whether trivia has a singular form or not, we can just use a measure word like we do for other collective nouns, e.g a grain of rice,  a piece of trivia, etc
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 11:12:07 PM »
it doesn't really matter whether trivia has a singular form or not, we can just use a measure word like we do for other collective nouns, e.g a grain of rice,  a piece of trivia, etc

Ex-K-UH-YOOZ me!

A ***bit*** of trivia.

Hrmph.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 11:17:21 PM »
Trivia is the plural of trivium “crossroad.” It is also an epithet for Artemis/Diana in her aspect as goddess of the crossroads, also associated with the goddess Hecate.  I wasn’t sure how it came to be associated with random knowledge, but it appears to have come from the title of a eighteenth-century collection of poems that were supposed to be the rabdom thoughts of someone wandering the streets of London (i.e., at the crossroads).  It was later adapted as the title of a collection of random essays in the early 20th century, and then in the 1960’s was used as the name of a game of random knowledge played by college students.  I had no idea it was such a recent usage.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 12:21:03 AM »
Wow, I was just going to say "yes, trivia would be the plural of trivium", but you just went above and beyond!
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline skeptonomicon

• Brand New
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »
Seems like a lot of time is being spent on a trivial topic.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 01:04:22 PM by skeptonomicon »

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2018, 03:07:00 PM »
Wow, I was just going to say "yes, trivia would be the plural of trivium", but you just went above and beyond!
  tri via, not perfectly, means "three road"  so it already is singular, in the same sense that the word "triple" is singular.  And "trivium" is a mistake declension.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2018, 04:19:19 PM »
Honestly I had more fun reading this thread today than any of the others.   ;D
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2018, 05:14:03 PM »
  tri via, not perfectly, means "three road"  so it already is singular, in the same sense that the word "triple" is singular.  And "trivium" is a mistake declension.

What the hell are you talking about?

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2018, 07:40:55 PM »

Trivia is a singular word because:
VIA means ROAD, not ROADS.
The plural of VIA is VIEA.
The plural of TRIVIA would be TRIVIEA.
TRIVIUM is a nonsense word because TRIVIA is NOT analogous to BACTERIA or MEDIA, which are plurals of BACTERIUM and MEDIUM.

CAPS used for clarity, not volume.  This is fun.
Amend and resubmit.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 08:54:22 PM »

Trivia is a singular word because:
VIA means ROAD, not ROADS.
The plural of VIA is VIEA.
The plural of TRIVIA would be TRIVIEA.
TRIVIUM is a nonsense word because TRIVIA is NOT analogous to BACTERIA or MEDIA, which are plurals of BACTERIUM and MEDIUM.

CAPS used for clarity, not volume.  This is fun.

Amazing.  Every word of what you just said was wrong.

But at least you’re having fun.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 10:31:51 PM »
Amazing.  Every word of what you just said was wrong.

But at least you’re having fun.

Do you perceive this exchange as some kind of feud?  Because I consider you to be a cyber-friend, and the subject posts as just nerd-banter.  I propose you exaggerate my wrongness with an over-the-top, clever, post about language and grammar, rather than an authoritative, insulting, smack-down.
Amend and resubmit.

personate-rain
personate-rain