Author Topic: Audible Dot Com Book Recommendations  (Read 2430 times)

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Audible Dot Com Book Recommendations
« on: July 07, 2018, 05:43:21 PM »
Recommendations for audiobooks on that Internet thing called Audible.com, let's hear 'em!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:51:24 PM by John Albert »

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Audible Dot Com Book Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:50:50 PM »
As for myself, I've listened to (or read) all the books by Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, Brian Greene, Richard Rhodes, Jon Ronson, Mary Roach, Douglas Adams, Neil Stephenson, and am working my way through the Terry Pratchett biblio.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 07:33:13 PM »
World War Z is great in audiobook form.  So is Rant by Chuck Palahniuk.

Either of Hodgmen's books are great, read by him.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 10:27:08 PM »
I use Downpour because they have rentals but I'm guessing they have a similar library.  I have a new thing where I put an audio book on at night to help me sleep and it has been working.

I try to get books I have already read so I'm not kept awake listening to a new book. The rentals work nice for around $5-$8. I only listen for 15-30 minutes a night, I set them to shut off after 30. I often have to back up the track to the last place I remember before going to sleep so one book can take several weeks to finish if not months.

A classic is Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, there are several versions, some dramatized (actually the original radio show) some are abridged, some are unabridged, Listen to a few samples and pick the one you like, Same goes for the rest of the books

Any of the Spider Robinson books read by Spider Robinson

"God no" and "Every day is an Atheist Holiday" by Penn Jillette read by Penn

I am just finishing "Blood Music" which I read in the 80s  the audio production is poor but its really interesting hearing about all that old 80s tech all over again

There are several old Heinlein short stories and novelettes that have been dramatized including sound effects.

There are newer versions of Heinlein full novels available now with decent protection value. Its best to pick the one read by a voice actor of the same sex as the narrator. Friday is a great example. Number of the Beast has 4 narrators and 4 voice artists, 2 male 2 female (but don't start with that book if you have not read Heinlein)

I just noticed that Fletch and several sequels are on preorder, those got added to my wish list and I cant wait. I really hope they find a VO guy that matches the way I think of Fletch (i.e. NOT Chevy Chase)

Since I will probably finish Blood Music tonight I need to pick a new one. I noticed John mentioned Pratchett but very few of his books are available on Downpour. I checked out audible which has a much larger collection However Color of magic is not available for me, I wonder why, Is it because I'm in the US?. Most of the other Diskworlds are available but not for rent. Some kind of trial is available, I mite investigate that and see how it goes but I probably wont be willing to fork over $23 for an audio book I have already read. 
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 07:41:03 PM »
I have too big a backlog of podcasts to have time for audiobooks. ;D
Self-described nerd

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 07:45:40 PM »
I have too big a backlog of podcasts to have time for audiobooks. ;D

I stopped to listen to an audiobook I checked out from the library and ended up with a 50 hour backlog of podcasts.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 08:16:32 AM »
I have read and listened to the entire Disc World series by Terry Pratchett, from memory, there are only two narrators and both are fabulous.

Stephen Fry reading the Harry Potter series is better than the film or traditional reading.

I am also a huge fan of Kobna Holdbrook-Smith narrating Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series.

Iain M Banks Culture series is one of the best space opera series, again Peter Kenny is an excellent narrator.

James Marsden does an excellent job with the Dresden files.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 09:48:13 AM »
I play Douglass Adams in the car for the kids on my way to their school.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it
If no one seems to understand
Start your own revolution and cut out the middleman

personate-rain