Author Topic: Thai Soccer Team  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Thai Soccer Team
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 05:49:23 AM »
My understanding is that the cave was generally considered safe from flooding in June.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 07:21:18 AM »
The cave trip was, from what I've read, an initiation into the team.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 08:58:34 AM »
Thailand is not a country that pays much attention to health and safety.
This is the kind of thing that happens when you leave people to use their judgement without proper guidelines or training.

Common sense is not all that common.

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 09:13:41 AM »
Or common sense is just low quality sense.

Hopefully this event leads to a change in practice.

Offline Muriel

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • My personal blog and homepage
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
I've also read that they entered the cave from an easy access point, but when it started to rain that entrance collapsed and they were forced to use the other difficult entrance for the rescue.
"Anything one man can imagine,
other men can make real."
- Jules Verne

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 09:43:46 AM »
I've also read that they entered the cave from an easy access point, but when it started to rain that entrance collapsed and they were forced to use the other difficult entrance for the rescue.
There you go, ruining all that lovely disparagement.  :'(
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 09:55:50 AM »
There's probably all sorts of things I do regularly that, in case of a freak accident, will look obviously stupid in hindsight.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 10:07:27 AM »
There's probably all sorts of things I do regularly that, in case of a freak accident, will look obviously stupid in hindsight.
Like driving. That shit's dangerous.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 11:04:29 AM »
There is a fire. You offer to MacGyver together an extinguisher. The firefighters say, "hoses are working so far, but it might be useful later."

Are you a jerk for offering?

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1016684366083190785
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »
Haters gonna hate.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 04:00:06 PM »

Which is fine when it's just your own life. It's a different and much higher duty of care when you are in charge of minors.

I'm not asking for the coach to be banned from coaching or charged with any offence. Hopefully it serves as a reminder to people in charge of children to think about the dangers of these sort of exercises.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 06:32:12 PM »
They'd been doing this for years without disaster. There was no real reason to think it might be a problem this time. It was considered safe. A freak rain occurred, out of season, and they got trapped. No-one expected it.
Self-described nerd

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »
They'd been doing this for years without disaster. There was no real reason to think it might be a problem this time. It was considered safe. A freak rain occurred, out of season, and they got trapped. No-one expected it.
Now, now, now. Thou shalt not impeded the rush to judgement.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 07:18:42 PM »

There's a much more extensive discussion of the subject on ISF (no logon required), including contributions from someone who actually lives in Thailand and has access to local information.
Self-described nerd

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 07:33:58 PM »

There's a much more extensive discussion of the subject on ISF (no logon required), including contributions from someone who actually lives in Thailand and has access to local information.
Have they lynched Elon yet?

personate-rain