Author Topic: Solar Powering device?  (Read 2461 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Solar Powering device?
« on: June 27, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »
I am curious what it might require to solar power a device?
Say I was to buy this
50 watt solar panel

This could be tacked onto my inverter thread but thought it separate enough to deserve its own thread
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Solar Powering device?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 04:50:03 PM »
Work the other way. Find the requirement for your device and look for a unit that will supply that power.  When the sun is shining, that it. And it's not cloudy. In the day time. During the Summer months. At the right latitudes.

Ever heard of a battery?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »
The best bet for a real solution is a solar panel and a battery.  You draw from the battery and charge the battery with the solar panel (with a charge controller babysitting the whole process).  But that's neither easy nor cheap, unless there's a consumer model I would have no reason to know about.

(Aaand now that I click on the link, that's exactly what the RV graphic shows. Haha)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 06:25:45 PM »
They use the same illustration for the 13 watt folding solar panel used for backpackers to charge cell phones.
I doubt many backpackers will cart around huge batteries  >:D

I was kind of hoping for somebody with actual experience

Edit: I went with 50 instead of 35 watts to partially compensate for issues with the sun and /or efficiency. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 06:46:09 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 01:03:20 PM »
There may be people with experience, but for that to be particularly useful shouldn't you also be a bit more specific than asking what it takes to power "a device"?

Phones only use about 5W when charging, and a battery pack that holds enough charge for several full charges of the phone runs about the same size and weight as the phone itself, so I don't know where you're getting "huge batteries" from.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 09:04:59 AM »
Anger is likely your best bet. Their products are generally top quality.

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-solar-2-ports/A2421011

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-solar-lite-2-ports/A2422011

With one of these and a pocket sized battery you'd be good for phone power, I think.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 06:37:09 PM »

With one of these and a pocket sized battery you'd be good for phone power, I think.
Wow. If I could use my anger to run electrical goods, Id save about a grand a year!

If you are backpacking then I think direct to device or from a small cell phone battery pack would probably be best.
I dont see the point in carrying a battery when your phone has one inside it and if you are out doing stuff it will likely be off and thus be using less and charge faster.

This all assumes you are talking about a phone.
A guy in my neighbourhood always has a solar panel on the top of his backpack when I see him so I assume decent options exist.
 I recommend seeing what people do at festivals etc as they all want to be using their devices to record etc and want an easy and light way to keep a charge.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 06:57:54 PM »
What I am looking for is a way to power a low powered netbook when in my car without tapping the car battery
Those Ankar packs would be great for backpacking and keeping your cell phone charged however.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 12:46:00 AM »

Wow. If I could use my anger to run electrical goods, Id save about a grand a year!

If you are backpacking then I think direct to device or from a small cell phone battery pack would probably be best.
I dont see the point in carrying a battery when your phone has one inside it and if you are out doing stuff it will likely be off and thus be using less and charge faster.

This all assumes you are talking about a phone.
A guy in my neighbourhood always has a solar panel on the top of his backpack when I see him so I assume decent options exist.
 I recommend seeing what people do at festivals etc as they all want to be using their devices to record etc and want an easy and light way to keep a charge.

I really should be taking notes of all my typos.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain
personate-rain