Poll

Do you buy and use screen protectors for your devices?

Yes
6 (46.2%)
No
4 (30.8%)
Some of them
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Screen Protectors  (Read 490 times)

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Screen Protectors
« on: July 11, 2018, 01:33:23 PM »
I always have - for my phones and previously for an iPod touch.  Don't have one on my tablet.

Got a new phone and put on a protector but I got some cat hair underneath it and messed it up.  I bought a 4-pack so no problem.
I wondered though how much protection I'm really getting, and what would happen if I quit.

Vote and comment.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
Re: Screen Protectors
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
I used to get them all the time, but since I got my iPhone 6 I have not.  At first, I was really scared I would scratch it up, but as time went on, it was fine, and I just never got one for it.  I did recently crack the glass, but it's down on the lower corner, and does not interfere with operation.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:54:39 PM »
Always. I had a protector crack on me once, but never a screen.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 05:33:01 PM »
I have cracked or scratched many protectors, and many screens without protector. Temperered glasss absorbs a lot of kinetic energy before cracking. Highly recommend.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 05:35:06 PM »
I have cracked or scratched many protectors, and many screens without protector. Temperered glasss absorbs a lot of kinetic energy before cracking. Highly recommend.
That's all I use.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 05:54:41 PM »
This time I doubled down. I have screen protector on the phone itself then I got an Otter box case that has an additional plastic protector over the screen. Im not taking any chances, Its an $800 Iphone 8+ the most I have ever spent on a phone (personally that is).
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 06:26:37 PM »
When I got a new phone I purchased a tempered screen protector. I had all kinds of issues with it including my phone launching all kinds of apps when I plugged into power.

I've since changed to a flexible protector that I bought on Amazon and the problems went away. Plus I have less bubbling.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Online arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 06:44:22 PM »
Never. And I've never cracked a phone screen. I guess I'm just careful.
Self-described nerd

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »
My wife bought a new phone because she cracked her screen really bad.  Then my son broke his phone beyond hope, so he asked if he could have my wife's old phone with the cracks.  We gave it to him, and it ended up being the screen protector that was cracked and the phone screen was perfect.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 09:43:42 PM »
Used them occasionally, never particular liked them. In my experience, any glass touchscreen (especially Gorilla Glass or other mineral glass) is already scratch resistant. Not to mention glass is way easier to clean with a microfiber/polymer cloth and the plastic screen covers always end up making the screen look like crap once they get smudged/dirty.

Although, I do have a case with a (non-removable)  built-in screen cover for one of my Android tablets. Exception that proves the rule as the device in question does not have a glass screen. I ended up polishing it with mineral oil to alleviate this problem, though it is still inferior to a glass screen.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 06:46:23 PM »
I have a company issued iPhone, and a requirement to use an Otter box.  It's fine, but can get REALLY dirty.

personate-rain
personate-rain