Author Topic: Episode #679  (Read 864 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #679
« on: July 14, 2018, 07:32:44 AM »
What's the Word: Etiology
News Items: Quantum Woo, Probing the Sun, Bullet Proof, Spider Ballooning, Hogweed
Who's That Noisy
Your Questions and E-mails: Bio-Degradable Plastics
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
Re: Episode #679
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »
Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula, the finger of land sticking into Lake Superior and a former home of mine, regularly gets over 200 inches of "Lake Effect" snow every year. However, it is usually too cool to get "Lake Effect" rain in the summer. Not this summer, when they received over seven inches of rain in spots in a short period, causing flash floods. It was pretty freaky, and of course NOT related to human-caused climate change (cough, cough).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/06/18/storm-flash-flooding-wipes-out-roads-damages-buildings-michigan-upper-peninsula/709371002/

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 10:28:31 AM »
I now have a grudge against NASA’s Parker Solar Probe for making me burn my grilled cheese sandwich.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 01:52:31 AM »
I used to run a geophysical exploration crew in the western US for a decade or so.  I can remember seeing the temperature posted on the bank, coming back into Vegas, at over 110o F more than once.  I don't think the temperature was much cooler when we left for work at 0500.  I seem to remember seeing 115 on a bank at midnight passing through Yuma.  Glad I never took a job in Saudi or the Pilbara.  Stop wingeing.

Of course all the winter work was in Idaho, Washington, Montana and Oregon.  Go figure. 

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline gebobs

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:31:05 AM »
Did I hear them say that all that is left of native American dogs are genetic markers? There are still extant landraces/breeds e.g. Greenlandics and qimmics to the north; chihuahuas and Peruvian hairlesses to the south. Apparently, malamutes and huskies are among those that now have little or no native genetics.

One breed that is now extinct, the Hare Indian, interestingly may have been a domesticated coyote.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:36:34 AM by gebobs »

Offline gebobs

• Me like hockey!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »
I wish someone (not me) would develop something for Science or Fiction such that the rogues will enter and lock their answers before hearing the others. There's obviously a bit of group think going on and this week was a perfect example. It could also randomize the order in which they present their rationale and the order of the reveal.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 01:25:03 PM »
I wish someone (not me) would develop something for Science or Fiction such that the rogues will enter and lock their answers before hearing the others. There's obviously a bit of group think going on and this week was a perfect example. It could also randomize the order in which they present their rationale and the order of the reveal.

Steve does vary the order, but not randomly, I think. I enjoy the discussion, including when they get caught up in groupthink. They are often aware of when they are following the herd, but that doesn't always help them.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »

Steve does vary the order, but not randomly, I think. I enjoy the discussion, including when they get caught up in groupthink. They are often aware of when they are following the herd, but that doesn't always help them.

Yeah, I like the dynamic as well.  And it's funny when someone inadvertently "volunteers" to go first.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline gebobs

• Me like hockey!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 01:19:35 PM »
Steve does vary the order, but not randomly, I think.

Sure, but it would be nice if they had an app that would do it for him...eliminate any unintentional bias.

I enjoy the discussion, including when they get caught up in groupthink. They are often aware of when they are following the herd, but that doesn't always help them.

Often is right. So much that they have abbreviated it, usually "GWB". :-)

Again, bias bad. Eliminate it good. Just my opinion, complete with my own bias. ;-)

Offline gebobs

• Me like hockey!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »
And it's funny when someone inadvertently "volunteers" to go first.

Mildly amusing, yes. I don't think I would miss it.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 01:47:47 PM »
I wish someone (not me) would develop something for Science or Fiction such that the rogues will enter and lock their answers before hearing the others.

The segment doesn't really have a clear objective.  It's not exactly a quiz even though they keep score, it's a discussion, and changing your mind after hearing other people's logic is a good thing.  I think whoever goes first should be able to change their answer after the discussion.  Best evaluation and application of critical thinking is the winner.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »
I wish someone (not me) would develop something for Science or Fiction such that the rogues will enter and lock their answers before hearing the others.

The segment doesn't really have a clear objective.  It's not exactly a quiz even though they keep score, it's a discussion, and changing your mind after hearing other people's logic is a good thing.  I think whoever goes first should be able to change their answer after the discussion.  Best evaluation and application of critical thinking is the winner.

It shows that skeptics aren't know-it-alls and are willing to be wrong and change their minds.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 06:30:40 PM »

Right, but not being able to change your answer also pushes home the message that people can be wrong sometimes and that it's important to acknowledge when you're wrong with good grace. Or at least with mock bad grace.
Self-described nerd

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 11:44:20 AM »
Great episode. I especially enjoyed the segment regarding NASA's sun probe. Amazing stuff. When I was in high school, I read Ray Bradbury's "Golden Apples of the Sun," and thought the concept ridiculous. I guess I was wrong.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline CookieMustard

• Off to a Start
Re: Quantum Woo
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
Regarding the ESP paper from American Psychologist, there is an episode of the podcast Serious Inquiries Only
where the statistical analysis used in the paper is criticized (by Dr. Lindsey Osterman). It is very interesting.

It is episode 150 at https://seriouspod.com

Episode 149 is about the same paper.

personate-rain