Author Topic: Casting Call - PBEM Rifts game named "Stormriders"  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Casting Call - PBEM Rifts game named "Stormriders"
« on: July 16, 2018, 08:19:06 AM »
I have been running a Rifts Earth game called "Stormriders" for the better part of a year - It is on Rifts Earth.  Want to keep the game running and don't want it to die.

Had four players and one is leaving because he thinks he was being treated unfairly. I don't think I was being unfair. The other three players are not posting as much as I would like. As such, looking for a couple of new players who would like to play and willing to post regularly, at least  a few times a week.

Just finishing up a fight (I think) so players should be joining after the fight - took longer than I would like but that was partially due to the fact that players were not posting their actions.

It is run through Yahoo Groups although Yahoo groups sometimes goes dark for days to a couple of weeks so have a backup mailing list I created from my website.

This really is a game for what I would call "Normal Joes." Looking for characters third level but if you have someone slightly higher level that you want to play from a game that died, wiling to look. Most interested in "Man at Arms" and "Adventurer" types but psychics would likely be alright. We have the mage avenue sewn up pretty well although maybe a techno-wizard would be alright.

In eastern US on Rifts Earth in Pennsylvania area. Do have some house rules, probably nothing too extreme. Probably the one most important is that I don't have -10 to dodge energy blasts. Instead you get to add prowess bonuses into you "To hit" when using ranged attacks.

Prefer if you PM me if interested and post here any questions. I will need an email address eventually for players.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:21:24 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Casting Call - PBEM Rifts game named "Stormriders"
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »
So this is a text-only game? I'm interested.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
So this is a text-only game? I'm interested.

If you beg, I may draw a map but generally text only yes.
Have you ever played Palladium and/or Rifts?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 03:10:25 PM »
I have never played such a game.  Do players need to buy a source rule book?  Could a new player create a new 3rd level character and hop right in, or is there some reason it needs to be a character from another game?  Do you run it as more of a tactical game (mostly combat) or a mix of fighting and role playing/story?
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 03:29:03 PM »
I prefer a more story based than combat - if nothing else because fights take so long.
I can find pdf copies of the books but a fair amount to jump in.
The game has skills unlike D&D which makes character creation a bit harder
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:33:43 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 04:27:04 PM »
Now I remember why this all sounds so familiar.  I played in a Heroes Unlimited campaign for a year about a dozen years ago.  It was great fun.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 06:16:20 PM »
So its like a "play by email game" or do you actually meet at a designated date and time online?

I'm somewhat familiar with Rifts and the setting but have not played since the early 90s

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 06:53:29 PM »
Now I remember why this all sounds so familiar.  I played in a Heroes Unlimited campaign for a year about a dozen years ago.  It was great fun.

Game system similar is similar enough to figure it out easily enough
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 06:54:17 PM »
So its like a "play by email game" or do you actually meet at a designated date and time online?

I'm somewhat familiar with Rifts and the setting but have not played since the early 90s

Play by email.

Edit: I was going to add that if you have any old characters that you would like to dust off, might very well work.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:07:46 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 07:43:12 PM »

Play by email.

Edit: I was going to add that if you have any old characters that you would like to dust off, might very well work.

I only played it at a convention with pre-designed characters. I read the first version of the rules as one of my old roommates owned the game but I couldn't tell you a thing about it other than knowing the premise which I like. I'm a sucker for mixing genres.

Play by mail/text is intriguing and something I would have time for. As Billz asked is there some way to create a 3rd level character to keep up with the others?  X number of points/skills to hand out or similar? Perhaps start with a 1st level build and some goals then you can decide how to progress the character to third. Also knowing what the "party" needs would be helpful. Bricks are great unless all you have are bricks.

I played HU a few times too, if you send me the rules to look over I'll see what I can come up with, Ill send my email to you through PM.  If I decide to join (assuming you will have me) I will purchase the game for myself. I already found a few character generator programs online to help.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »
In honesty, a first level character would be able to survive just fine. It is just that if people had higher level characters that they had not been able to play, I wanted to leave that open.

Still that would be the basic means, write up a first level character, and progress to third.

Give me a few hours to be able to get you a link to at least the first book. At worst I will make sure I send you a link by tomorrow morning.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 08:08:23 PM »
I'd be interested, but I am terrible at email. I haven't even checked mine in weeks.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 09:04:11 PM »
I have never played such a game.  Do players need to buy a source rule book?  Could a new player create a new 3rd level character and hop right in, or is there some reason it needs to be a character from another game?  Do you run it as more of a tactical game (mostly combat) or a mix of fighting and role playing/story?

I ran a Rifts campaign for about 4 years in the mid-2000s. We played a bunch of Heroes and Heroes Unlimited too. I homebrewed some changes to SDC / MDC back then to even things out a bit.  I set that particular game up to happen when the Rifts were opened - the players were playing themselves in 2013 or so (10 years in our future at the time) on our way to one of the guy's cottages for an epic reunion. We crossed over the escarpment near Orangeville so the nukes that took out Toronto and surrounds didin't irradiate the characters. Then the Rifts opened and shit got surreal.

...Dammit, you caught me monloging! :)

I still have my original sourcebooks up in the attic, but I presume there are newer versions in the last 15 years?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 09:24:06 PM »
This really is a game for what I would call "Normal Joes." Looking for characters third level but if you have someone slightly higher level that you want to play from a game that died, wiling to look. Most interested in "Man at Arms" and "Adventurer" types but psychics would likely be alright. We have the mage avenue sewn up pretty well although maybe a techno-wizard would be alright.

I thought I'd look online for some Rifts information on Character Classes and hooboi,http://rifts.wikia.com/wiki/O.C.C.s is insane. Before I crawl around the attic, where should prospective players look for allowed Man at Arms, Adventurer, and maybe Psychic classes?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 09:31:43 PM »
Sent some stuff your way
— Robert G. Ingersoll