Author Topic: Episode #680  (Read 1651 times)

Offline irtfbill

• Brand New
Re: Episode #680
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 12:37:46 PM »
On a non-Iceman topic but further in Episode #680...
While discussing sending people to Mars, Bill Nye says (around 27:00) that the Russians returned rocks from the Moon before anybody walked there but nobody cared until humans did it.
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_programme their sample return didn't succeed until September 1970 - after Apollo 11 and 12 returned larger amounts.
I do agree with his point though. Personally I have always felt that the Right Stuff line "No Bucks - No Buck Rogers" had it backwards.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 12:46:07 PM »
Luna 15 (July 1969), also designed to return soil samples from the lunar surface, underwent its mission at the same time as the Apollo 11 mission. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were already on the lunar surface when Luna 15 began its descent, and the spacecraft crashed into a mountain minutes later.

I had no idea the Russians were doing this and had such success at the time.  I'm going to be reading up on this a lot more.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline CookieMustard

• Off to a Start
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 04:18:49 PM »

How accurate was the discussion of the cause of Otzi's death given in this episode? It was presented by Steve as an example of selective attention, the arrowhead was not noticed in the x-rays because investigators were looking for something else (like the gorilla and the basketball players). From what I read the story seems different. The impression I had was that the arrowhead was not clearly visible in the original x-rays, but it was visible in the scans taken 10 years later because of improved technology. So the story is not one of selective attention, but of improved technology.
Which version is more accurate?

Offline acuccia

• Brand New
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 02:09:33 AM »
Where's the video of Jay doing the Plank?